collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Don't die until you're dead - Mississippi John Hurt

Author Topic: Lonnie Johnson  (Read 2069 times)

dcbahr

Lonnie Johnson
« on: April 23, 2005, 08:47:42 AM »
Hello all,

I have just started getting in to country blues and have done research o various people. Let's just say that JSP and the juke have been extremely helpful in learning about these old recordings. However, I'm confused regarding Lonnie Johnson.

I am interested in his early recordings, of which Document released 7 volumes back in the early '90's but they are now out of print as a single set. The recordings from 1925-32 I mean. Next Proper records out of England has released a 4-disc box called the Original Guitar Wizard, covering 1925-52. This does not contain all of his early sides and seems a simple retrospective. So...I'm not really sure to start.

Also, and maybe this should be another topic, I ordered the JSP Blind Blake set, did I make a good purchase? With what little we know about Blake I bought it with that same amount of knowledge as to what I am getting, any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Lonnie Johnson
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 09:10:50 AM »
HI Dave, welcome to WeeneiCampbell!

single set. The recordings from 1925-32 I mean. Next Proper records out of England has released a 4-disc box called the Original Guitar Wizard, covering 1925-52. This does not contain all of his early sides and seems a simple retrospective. So...I'm not really sure to start. {/quote]

Lebordo gave this set rave reviews so I think it is an excellent start ( 4CDs, 100 tracks, and the recommendation of a Connoisseur - you can't go wrong).

Also, and maybe this should be another topic, I ordered the JSP Blind Blake set, did I make a good purchase? With what little we know about Blake I bought it with that same amount of knowledge as to what I am getting, any thoughts?

Your collection should not be without Blind Blake - some consider him the best fingerpicker to record - ever.  If you like eastcoast ragtime style playing - this is the bee's knees.  Both these sets are a great value.

Cheers,
slack

lebordo

Re: Lonnie Johnson
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 01:22:25 PM »
I am interested in his early recordings, of which Document released 7 volumes back in the early '90's but they are now out of print as a single set. The recordings from 1925-32 I mean. Next Proper records out of England has released a 4-disc box called the Original Guitar Wizard, covering 1925-52. This does not contain all of his early sides and seems a simple retrospective. So...I'm not really sure to start.

Hi, Dave.

As Slack mentioned, I do have the Johnson set from Proper, and am very pleased with it.  It is definitely not complete, and a few of the tracks are not top quality recordings.  I would have preferred having the tracks in chronological order, too.  But overall, well worth the price -- particularly if you buy online from Amazon Marketplace merchants or thru Ebay.  If you buy thru Amazon Marketplace, be sure to use the Weenie link to Amazon and help support the Juke.  I should note that a handful of tracks are Jazz titles where Lonnie backed different Jazz artists.  I don't know if these were included in the Document series.

For the Document titles, you might want to try Arhoolie's web site (http://www.arhoolie.com, I believe) -- they have an eclectic mix of Document titles available at reduced prices, and either 8.99 or 9.99 US each if you buy 3 or more.  I know at one time they did have some of the Johnson titles, but their selection constantly varries

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
Lonnie Johnson
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 09:03:14 AM »
For those of you with Facebook accounts I can recommend asking to sign up to the Real Blues Forum.
This wonderful article from 1952 about Lonnie Johnson is to be found there:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=685139731517425&set=pcb.597832023626595&type=1&theater

Tags: Lonnie Johnson 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal