collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I was born in the mountain, schooled in a lion's den. My daily occupation's taking women from monkey men - Wilson Thunder Smith - Santa Fe

Author Topic: Jalopy workshops  (Read 745 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Jalopy workshops
« on: December 03, 2011, 12:34:18 PM »
I notice that the Jalopy Theatre is running quite a number of workshops lately. Coming up, Paul Geremia and Tim Sparks are doing blues guitar workshops, Pat Conte doing banjo and fiddle workshops, and there are other things like bones, washboard, vocal harmony etc. At 20-30 bucks, these look like a steal. If only upstate New York would get out the way, I'd be closer to Brooklyn.

Schedule here:

http://jalopy.biz/store/catalog/index.php?cPath=35&osCsid=f9fc38e528b2ba2c63cca07c1dc6101a

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Re: Jalopy workshops
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 08:46:30 PM »
Pat Conte did a wonderful demo-show of recordings made on homemade instruments, and concertized on several that he brought along.
It was held at The American Folk Art Museum on Broadway between 65th & 66th streets. He performed in front of three magnificent wall mounted quilts from the Museum's collection. This for those who don't know New York is directly across the street from Lincoln center which contains The Metropolitan Opera House, Avery Fisher Hall, the home of the New York Philharmonic, The unfortunately named David H. Koch theatre, home of New York City Ballet, The New York State Theatre, the Performing Arts Library (thousands of free CDs and dvds, scores, films, choreography charts etc.) . It was fairly well attended and respectfully received. Pat played and sang wonderfully and it was a little magical seeing him do his thing dressed up in an upscale spiffy environment. I would LOVE to see our music move from primarily being heard in bars to concert venues on a more consistent basis. John hammond and his brother in law Benny Goodman had the right idea with the  From Spirituals to Swing concerts, (Carnegie Hall 1938) which among other things gave Big Bill Broonzy a new audience, and introduced country Blues to a primarily White audience for the first time. Kudos to Lynette & Geoff of Jalopy for having the vision to stretch out to potentially new audiences in other venues. A very smart and forward thinking thing to do. When they write about the advent of the "Second Great Folk Scare" Lynette and Geoff will figure high on the list of its founders.

Attached are pictures of the Museum and of Lincoln Center.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 09:13:07 PM by Mr.OMuck »
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Jalopy workshops
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 05:16:49 AM »
That is a spiffy gig. No photos of the maestro? Having seen him spin and talk about 78s at the Jalopy (on a wind-up gramophone) and seen him play all kinds of music, I can guess at the coolness of this show.

The Jalopy is good people.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal