collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
When people from Australia or Japan or Italy say, 'Oh, I love the blues,' they're not talking about the Southwest blues styles, the Georgia 12-string players, ragtime Piedmont styles or whatever. It's the Delta blues. If you say, 'Who do you like?' they'll name Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Howlin' Wolf, Son House - Dick Waterman, to Francis Davis, quoted in Davis' book

Author Topic: Interesting Blues photo galleries  (Read 4425 times)

Offline JohnLeePimp

Interesting Blues photo galleries
« on: February 24, 2012, 04:48:29 PM »
Maybe there oughta be a thread reserved for galleries and pics - but apparitions aside, here's Bob Corritore's site with a few interesting pictures to wade through:

http://www.bobcorritore.com/photos155.html

http://www.bobcorritore.com/photos167.html

http://www.bobcorritore.com/photos.html
...so blue I shade a part of this town.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Interesting Blues photo galleries
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 05:28:18 PM »
Thanks, enjoyed that.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 07:49:29 PM »
it's been mentioned before, but it's worth including here...  some photos from George Mitchell:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44362663@N06/sets/72157624131758665/

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 04:28:53 AM »
I thought I'd share some photos that I'd digitised

... maybe somebody with access to the magic buttons can merge/seperate a some of these threads to make something categorisable and continuous - or maybe not, I ain't fussed

Buddy Moss:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 04:33:24 AM »
Blind Willie McTell

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 04:40:03 AM »
Willie Moore (I believe the same one that did Ragtime Millionaire )

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 04:42:10 AM »
Richard Trice

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 04:47:32 AM »
David Wylie

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 11:47:18 AM »
I've never seen that photo of Mctell. Can anyone put a year on that. must be early 50's.

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 08:24:31 AM »
I believe the McTell Photo's from 56, here's the other one

Here's a real cool set

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Lioneldecoster

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:32:23 AM by JohnLeePimp »

Offline oddenda

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 08:01:15 PM »
John Lee -

You are pinching my photos (David Wylie, Buddy Moss, a.o.). The Willie Moore is from Kip Lornell and is NOT the VA person, but one in Albany, NY. You MUST give full attribution, even on pages such as this - it's the only honorable thing to do. The Rich Trice photo was given to Bruce Bastin and I ca. 1969 on one of our first swings through the SE. I may be old, but I am not anonymous. The McTell shots were originally from David Evans' research.

Peter B. Lowry

p.s. - they look to have been taken from Bruce's book, CRYING FOR THE CAROLINES (1971) Studio Vista.

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 05:04:36 AM »
Right... well thanks for crediting them on my behalf

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 06:50:26 PM »
Personally I reckon we should always aim to give credit and attribution whenever possible on WC, whether it be articles, images, random research snippets, or quotes. Anything.

We've always tried to encourage that throughout the life of WC, perhaps it's time to go on the record and state it as a policy.

It's not only because it's the right thing to do to acknowledge and support the work, time, dedication and personal monies that went into it. It also adds a lot of value to do so, creating signposts for further avenues of exploration.

I'm equally guilty BTW, having posted stuff (usually quotes) without attribution, having been so enthused by the material I forgot the courtesies and other benefits of doing so.

Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 08:03:14 PM by Rivers »

Offline oddenda

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 07:45:35 PM »
One cannot use any of the materials I recorded without permission - how are photographs any different? I busted my ass to get both forms of preservation over the years and deserve my due. You seem not the slightest bit phased that I brought this up, refusing to admit an error in your ways. Great.

Peter B.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 06:03:46 AM »
JLP, an apology is in order I think.

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 06:29:30 AM »
Very well sincerely I apologise for not crediting the photographers - in the same vein I believe that all audio recordings should give explicit credit to the sound engineer, you know, as opposed to the subject

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 07:54:08 AM »
JohnLee,  every time you enjoy a work of art, be it a photograph or a sound recording or whatever, the hard work of several people has gone into it.  For a photograph, there's the subject, the photographer, usually a publisher (without whose investment and work you'd never see the photograph), and others.  Whatever you think of copyright laws, some or all of the people involved have legal ownership rights to the final product.  Peter Lowry is a person whose work as a recorder, sound engineer, researcher, photographer, publisher (Trix Records), etc, has allowed all of us to know and enjoy music that we would otherwise never have had a chance to hear.  And who happens to have copyright on some of the stuff you've posted.  When such a person asks you to credit his work,  you should SINCERELY apologize, and promptly credit such work.   

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 08:11:52 AM »
Well said, dj.

When the photographer of a photo you scan and post online asks you to do him the courtesy of crediting him (not even insisting you take it down, though he would have every right to do so), you'd think that wouldn't be too hard to do without sarcasm.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 12:45:07 PM »
Peter Lowry is a person whose work as a recorder, sound engineer, researcher, photographer, publisher (Trix Records), etc, has allowed all of us to know and enjoy music that we would otherwise never have had a chance to hear.  And who happens to have copyright on some of the stuff you've posted.  When such a person asks you to credit his work,  you should SINCERELY apologize, and promptly credit such work.
I really feel for Pete and others like him. Unfortunately it's the age we live in; if it's on the web it's public domain.  (huh!) Fortunately there's still folk around who remember when and where such plundered material first saw the light of day, especially when it comes to ancient photos, Blues Unlimited (1963-88) or Blues World (1965-74). I go out of my way to ensure that the arcane material I make available here (and elsewhere) has chapter and verse as to its origin. Unfortunately, on occasion it bites me in the backside. Something I scanned then appears at a later time, somewhere else on the web, minus all its "source" info, leaving the reader with the impression of  belonging to the poster.  I've got to the stage of adding minor anomalies to enable ready identification as to from where lifted. Did I hear someone mutter "petty"?

Sorry for my bout of bile and pomposity but on this topic I unable to bite my tongue. You'll hear no more from me about this.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 01:29:45 PM »
I go out of my way to ensure that the arcane material I make available here (and elsewhere) has chapter and verse as to its origin.

And I (and I'm sure lots of others around here) really appreciate that.  It's not only the right thing to do for the original authors/publishers, but it makes it so much easier if one wants to do further research on the topic.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 05:28:27 PM »
And as a reminder to everyone, the following is part of weeniecampbell's account sign up user agreement. 

Edit: current agreement wording removed.  We'll reword this to reflect attribution.  In fact the whole user agreement needs to be reviewed.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 08:52:36 PM by Slack »

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 06:57:14 PM »
At the very least it's a simple matter of courtesy to provide credit and attribution. If any copyright holder asks us to take down anything it will be done. It has not happened in the many years weeniecampbell has been an open forum. John Lee, you need to get with the program. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 06:59:04 PM by Rivers »

Offline oddenda

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2012, 11:11:36 PM »
Dear All -

I have no problem with folks using any of my stuff, such as photos - there is such a concept of "fair use", though. There is also a concept of giving credit where credit is due and they are not mutually exclusive. I am over 70 years of age and have not made any profit from my decades of work, both "in the field" and "at home". The least that should occur is that I get my propers for the work done, often at some danger level. Not just myself, but all those who did the hard yards before the internet and actually actively looked for artists under difficult circumstances and no money.

JLP - unless you have been rousted by illiterate deputy sheriffs or chased by drunk blues men with pistols (both in GA... on the same day!), unless you have had doors slammed in your face while door-knocking, unless you have had to bail friends out of jail, unless you have been seriously been questioned by the police while trying to locate all these wonderful people, unless you have had friends die unexpectedly and suddenly, unless you have experienced all of these and more, then you owe respect to those who did in the day. People like Gayle Dean Wardlow, George Mitchell, Kip Lornell, Danny McLean, Glenn Hinson, Valerie Wilmer and the rest who DID have these experiences deserve nothing less. If you cannot grasp that, then fuggedabowdit... you are probably lost to civil society.

Do I hear an "Amen" out there? Not too loud, though! It's all about the music and the musicians, not W.E. outsiders.

yrs,
     Peter B. Lowry [f/k/a Pete Lowry]
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 07:48:28 PM by oddenda »

Offline JohnLeePimp

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 04:59:57 AM »
OK I understand where everybody's coming from... be assured I'm not making some kind of principled stand against copyrights and I sure as hell don't wish to discredit or disrespect esteemed people like Mr Lowry

but I also don't appreciate being made out to be some kind of prick because I shared some pictures - I'm not fussed if they are taken down... if it means I can get on with my carefree existence

Offline alyoung

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 05:55:18 AM »

but I also don't appreciate being made out to be some kind of prick because I shared some pictures - I'm not fussed if they are taken down... if it means I can get on with my carefree existence

You're not being made out to be some kind of prick because you shared some pictures. You're being made out to be some kind of a prick because you won't accept the principle of credit where it is due. And it seems to me that this assessment is entirely fair.

Al Y

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 05:58:41 AM »
Hi JohnLee - you weren't be made out to be some prick for sharing some pictures. The problem was in acknowledging and giving credit once authorship was pointed out.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 06:27:31 AM »
...because I shared some pictures...

Well, for me it's mostly because your "sincere" apology was essentially "Sorry...  NOT!"

JohnLee, I certainly don't want to think of you as "some kind of prick".  We wouldn't be having this conversation if your post yesterday had been along the lines of "Sorry, Peter.  I didn't realize the correct way to do things, so I screwed up.  I'll edit my previous posts to give credit to the photographers and published sources.  Thanks for bringing this up."  That's the way sincere apologies work.  And, believe it or not, a sincere apology leaves you looking a lot less like a prick than the snarky "sincerity" you posted.

Offline cih

• Howdy!
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 07:14:32 AM »
Do pictures used as avatars need to be credited?

I agree that these things should always be credited - also, there are a lot of reproductions of blues photographs done by artists, illustrators on the net, which rarely credit the photographer from whom the portraits originate.
And there are different levels of appropriation online - recently I found a painting I had done on the front page of an artist's website, with his signature placed on top.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 07:38:55 AM »
It would be hard to credit avatar photos. If some are used and the original artist disapproved, then I would certainly take them down, including my own. I don't think we need to twist ourselves into extraordinary yogic positions in all of this, simply provide credit and attribution where it seems appropriate in a thread (especially if the original creator of a work asks you to do so).

One additional thing that's nice about credit/attribution is it also gives others the chance to seek out an original source, such as the book a photo or text excerpt first appeared in. If they're lucky and it's not out of print, that is.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 07:50:19 AM »
If they're lucky and it's not out of print, that is.

That's why the world has libraries and interlibrary loans.   :)

Offline oddenda

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2012, 07:55:36 PM »
On a different level, there are the commercial pirates! A completely different thing altogether. It has come to my attention that an outfit called Firefly Records in Europe has issued a bootleg of Tarheel Slim rhythm and blues sides of the 50s/60s (Slim & Ann, The Larks included). On the cover is a photo that I used for the Trix LP back in the day (also on the CD of same) - it is Slim in the catalpa tree in my former back yard with my distinctive National. Not exactly appropriate for the music! No credit is given and no copies have come my way as recompense. Anyone out there know how I might get in touch with them. Red Lick (in Wales) has no idea as they don't carry the line and I cannot think who else to contact in the 21st Century as shops and distributors bight the dust. I wrote BLOCK in the Netherlands who printed a review... no response as yet. Any thoughts?

Peter B.

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 03:00:14 AM »
Any thoughts?

Maybe the folks at Bim-Bam Records (what a silly name ;-) know anything (they do sell that CD) ?!

http://www.rhis.co.uk/cgi-bin/cart.pl?db=master.dat&category=BLUES/RANDB/BLACK-T&merchant=bimbam

Offline oddenda

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 08:46:52 PM »
Thanks Stefan.

pbl

p.s. - Prop of Bim-Bam bought them at a convention in continental Europe; no information on tray card or insert.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 06:45:07 AM by oddenda »

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal