collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I wanted to buy me some cakes but I had shot dice and lost my roll - Blind Lemon Jefferson, Bakershop Blues

Author Topic: Jerron Blind Boy Paxton in Lancaster, PA  (Read 944 times)

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
Jerron Blind Boy Paxton in Lancaster, PA
« on: January 26, 2015, 11:27:09 AM »
Jerron "Blind Boy" Paxton at Lancaster Roots & Blues Fest.  Vintage Blues Guitars (aka me and my friend Bruce) is pleased to host Blind Boy Paxton on Saturday, Feb 7th 12:30-2 PM at the Ware Center in Lancaster, PA in a Lancaster Roots and Blues Master Seminar:
From the Parlor to the Plantation: The Evolution of the Acoustic Guitar in Pre-War Blues

Jerron performs a 75 min set both Friday evening and Saturday in addition to our seminar on Saturday afternoon.  We'll bring along a car load of vintage instruments, and we'll discuss the evolution of the guitar (loosely) from the parlor music days through the 'acoustic blues 78 rpm record' days, with an emphasis on Jerron playing examples of the music on the guitar, and attendees spending time afterwards playing the guitars.

Should be a unique experience!  Join us if you're able, and give a 'hey' if you're a weenie.

Tom

Check out the full schedule on line:  [url]http://lancasterrootsandblues.com/url]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 11:30:13 AM by onewent »

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
Re: Jerron Blind Boy Paxton in Lancaster, PA
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 03:47:19 PM »
Any 'weenies' coming to Lancaster this weekend?  Tom

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 05:08:10 PM »
Looks like a cool event, Tom. Wish I was in the 'hood.

UB

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 06:25:22 PM »
Yup, I wish I could make it, it would be great to see and hear Jerron and meet you, Tom, but it's a long way from Washington state.  And I love Lancaster--a beautiful city and one of the best farmer's markets anywhere.  I hope you have fun and sell a bunch of guitars.
All best,
Johnm

Offline joebanjo

• @oldtimebanjoe
    • Ben Hunter & Joe Seamons' homepage
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 06:35:59 PM »
Ditto what John said--there's plenty of us out here on the West Coast that would be there if we could teleport. Good luck with the event!

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 03:43:52 PM »
Just wanted to report back on our experience with Jerron at the Lancaster Roots & Blues fest held last weekend.  My friend, Bruce, and I presented a 90 minute program, 'Master Class', which overviewed the evolution of the acoustic guitar from the 'parlor to the plantation', where we talked a bit about the music of the era, and the corresponding guitars.  We covered parlor guitars, the 'blues' guitars (Stellas, Regals etc), 12-strings, the Hawaiian craze and ended with the quest for loudness (resonators).  We had an example or two for each discussion, and Jerron would demo the instrument.  The session was quite unique for a blues festival, and was well received .. standing-room-only crowd!

This  short video clip is Jerron playing our Le Domino guitar, which is festooned with domino decals, and Bruce inadvertently called them 'dice', so Jerron busted on him and played this song to demo the guitar.

I have to say, Jerron is a natural at this, great connection with his audience, witty and warm...great fun working with him, and if you ever get a chance to see him live, it's well worth it!.   Tom

http://youtu.be/yLiNUfbLtTw?list=UUUHIsE2snDk6fdprXNM2huQ
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 04:29:40 PM by onewent »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal