collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Well I had started that about the age of twelve... see my mother had a guitar, my father made her a present of a guitar, and he taught her a few chords, but I first started on a little outfit I made with a cigar box... I made a guitar with a cigar box, had peg keys, bored holes in the head, and I had uh... the strings graduated from fishing twine down on to thread - Johnny St. Cyr, guitarist for the Jelly Roll Morton's Red Hot Peppers in an interview with Alan Lomax on how he learned to play guitar

Author Topic: Blues Images 2022 calendar is here  (Read 3217 times)

Offline jostber

Blues Images 2022 calendar is here
« on: October 13, 2021, 01:35:42 PM »
The new Blues Calendar 2022 from BluesImages with a CD full of great early blues is here:

https://bluesimages.com/html/product_ht ... ee_cd.html

More great stuff this year, time to go Wuffin'!

Big Road Blues - Wuffin' The Blues with John Tefteller from 10. October 2021

https://sundayblues.org/?p=23412

Offline MarkC

Re: Blues Images 2022 calendar is here
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 03:08:10 PM »
The calendar link is missing something.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 03:57:08 PM »
This link will do for the calendar:  https://bluesimages.com/

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2021, 02:58:13 PM »
This link will do for the calendar:  https://bluesimages.com/

Thanks for the tip dj! Calendar ordered via Bear Family.

Cheers,

Pan

Offline CF

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 05:39:14 AM »
John T is saying that vol 20 will be the last calendar/CD release.

He will then publish a book of blues ads and will then focus on single artist/themed CDs. 
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 06:59:17 AM »
Does he still have the 25k reward if you bring him the missing Willie Browns? Not that I have them.

Offline jostber

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 07:20:09 AM »
John T is saying that vol 20 will be the last calendar/CD release.

He will then publish a book of blues ads and will then focus on single artist/themed CDs. 

Then there will also be a 2023 calendar? The great thing with these calendars in addition to the classic images and wonderful music is also the unreleased songs that are on each release.

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 11:22:33 AM »
Hi all,
As far as i"m concerned, the previously unreleased songs, like several Blake titles in recent years, and titles by Jaydee Short and William Harris, have been the only reason to get the calendars. Too many of the titles have been and continue to be copies of songs that have long been available in perfectly fine and listenable versions, for me to be able to justify springing for the cost of the calendar every year. I'd be happier with less frequent releases devoted exclusively to new finds. I'm probably in the minority in feeling this way--most people (at least, around here) seem happy and excited about the calendar every year.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 02:10:23 PM »
Well, it's pretty cool to frame the artwork;

Nathan James - Acoustic Friday!

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 03:40:39 PM »
I'd be happier with less frequent releases devoted exclusively to new finds. I'm probably in the minority in feeling this way--most people (at least, around here) seem happy and excited about the calendar every year.
All best,
Johnm

John, I'm in agreement with you on this. I also believe these compilations would better serve the already-available-elsewhere songs if the track listing were put together with some thematic notion in mind: we end up waiting for one or two particular tracks, but the rest of the collection, though sterling on an individual-song basis, does not provide a framework — or even a flow — from one song to the next. To that end, I have to hand it to Nick Perls, whose original “Jackson Blues” and “St. Louis Town” and other cohesive releases on Yazoo are endlessly listenable and, more importantly, desirable. This may seem like a minor quibble, but I really think it gets at the heart of what makes certain blues compilations our “favorites,” rather than grab-bags of songs. And I really believe Tefteller could create even greater excitement amongst blues fans if he had calendars that were “a year in the hill country” or “a year in Louisiana” or “a year in the Delta” or Georgia or St. Louis or etc.
Jeff

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 06:20:05 AM »
On the plus side for the calendars:

- I need a calendar every year.  It might as well be one on a subject that interests me.
- If a record has been rediscovered during the past year, it's usually on the disk included with the calendar, so I don't have to wait an indeterminate number of years before I can hear it.  And that's not just greed talking (though it is in part!).  At almost 70 years old, my attitude is "Even if it's a record by Washboard Walter and John Byrd, I'd like to hear it before I die".
- The sound is usually superior to previous releases of a song.  This is especially true of those songs only available on Document.
- I do enjoy hearing songs in truly random sequence sometimes.  And back when this music was new, that's how people with record players would listen to it - an Ida Cox song, a Blind Lemon Jefferson song, a Memphis Jug Band song, a Victoria Spivey song...  The theme would be "Music I like that I have on a record".

On the minus side:

- But it's true that when I make a playlist for my own personal enjoyment it's always organized around a theme, a person, or a place and time.
- The bulk of the songs on any calendar CD are limited to those for which Mr. Tefteller has access to a newspaper ad for the record, so certain artists tend to be over-represented simply because there were a lot of ads available.
- Do I really need a marginally better sounding version of Rag Mama Rag by Blind Boy Fuller?  (Okay, I'm a big Fuller fan, so maybe I do.  Better make that example a Ma Rainey record.    ;D  )

So I guess the answer for me is that if the calendar and CD were available separately, I'd get the calendar every year, and sometimes get the CD, depending on what's on it.  Since they're a package, I get them both.  And I do worry that without the annual calendar to make me look, that rediscovered Washboard Walter/John Byrd record would slip past me without notice.

Offline CF

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 10:07:21 AM »
I'm in agreement with John; in fact, I haven't picked up the last three-four releases but mostly because I just can't afford them these days.

A few quibbles about the series:

John T is not a listener or quite the fan of '20s-30s Blues as some of his audience is so he doesn't maybe realize that we have so many of the tunes already in fine sound. He also is not overly knowledgeable about all the artists. He released "Bessie Jackson" recordings years back without seeming to know that she was Lucille Bogan. Also, he has a stash of ads for Memphis Minnie with a woman who is obviously not Minnie, yet he continues to insist she is. Oh well.

He has a particular hate for Document records and doesn't seem to get it that fans of, say, Blind Lemon WANT to hear all his available sides, not just the same 20-30 that survive in good condition and get re-released over and over.

And not to nitpick but he consistently misspells "20's" and "30's" on his artwork. Ya don't need that apostrophe. He could use a blues nerd with competent writing skills on his staff.

But these are not major issues and are dwarfed by how rather excellent the CD/Calendars have been.

I have 16 volumes on CD and many of the calendars, perhaps I'll pick up the remaining four in oncoming years.

I think the book and then the themed CDs will be a better fit for the dwindling interest out there. He can release several CDs a year and can do various artist releases where "new" finds can be added.

Overall I think he's done an admirable job and these CDs/Calendars have been a highlight of pre-war blues releases in the 21st century, perhaps the best of them all.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 01:26:38 PM »
...he has a stash of ads for Memphis Minnie with a woman who is obviously not Minnie...

CF, which image are you talking about - this one?  If not, could you let us know which one it is?

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 02:38:53 PM »
I definitely agree with Jeff's assessment of Nick Perls' Yazoo compilations. After five decades or so, they really have stood the test of time. In fact, I have listened to them so often that when I hear a cut from one of the Yazoo LPs somewhere else, I expect to hear the following cut from the Yazoo record. And when I don't, it's as if something is missing. Hell, even when I hear the cover of one the songs, I expect to hear the artist cover the next song in the LP's sequence. That's how far gone I am.

As for the Blues Images Calendar / CD combos, they are a specialty product for a niche market. And since we're part of the niche market, we have the right to critique them as we see fit. John T is using different criteria when putting together his package than others do for their CD compilation releases. I enjoy the calendars and look at the CDs as an add-on. Yeah, they're a bit pricey, but that's the nature of specialty items. Every few years I'll buy a dozen of my favorite navy blue jock wear Russell Athletic T-shirts in bulk for around $4 a shirt, but if I want a shirt with Charley or Blind Blake on it, it's gonna set me back $25 + S&H. It's the nature of the market.

I bought a few Yazoo shirts through the mail from Nick back in the day--I still have one--but they were quite reasonable for a silk screened shirt and not overpriced, IIRC.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 03:11:30 PM by Stuart »

Offline CF

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2021, 11:31:26 AM »
Hello DJ. No, that image you shared is definitely Minnie and Joe McCoy. I don't have a close up shot but it's the January image for the 2018 calendar. I believe he's used it again this year?

EDIT

Ok, so he uses an actual image of Minnie this year. He said he used the "controversial" one again on Jeff Harris' radio show. His confusion got me confused, sorry. 

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2021, 12:19:31 PM »
Thanks for clarifying that.  To say that 2018 photo is controversial is putting it mildly.

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2021, 12:23:17 PM »
Anyone got a better resolution of "Frisco Town"?

Offline Vermonter

• Howdy!
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2021, 11:32:01 AM »
I've been trying to order the calendar at the website, and I keep getting error messages though I'm pretty sure I've entered everything correctly. Any other way to order? Thanks.

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2021, 11:57:48 AM »
Hi Vermonter,
I'm pretty sure you can order it through Amazon.
all best,
Johnm

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2021, 05:27:43 PM »
The "Support Weenie" link in the quick menu section says that we can help support WC by ordering from Amazon via the banner on some Weenie page. Perfect opportunity to do so!

However, I don't see a banner. Is that still a viable thing?

Dave

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal