collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I picked his head, I picked his feet, I picked his body but it wasn't fit to eat - Luke Jordan, Pick Poor Robin Clean

Author Topic: Geoff Muldaur & Texas Sheiks  (Read 4666 times)

Offline Cleoma

• Howdy!
Geoff Muldaur & Texas Sheiks
« on: October 14, 2009, 04:55:06 PM »
Hi folks,
The "Geoff Muldaur & the Texas Sheiks" CD is finally out, and has been getting some nice reviews and airplay.  This is the project I was part of last year -- Geoff put together a string band to do some sessions in Austin last year, a very amazing band in which I was honored to play -- Stephen Bruton (who passed last spring - this was his next-to-last project), Johnny Nicholas, Jim Kweskin, Bruce Hughes and Cindy Cashdollar. We recorded all in one room, no overdubbing, no click track, it was the most relaxed and musically satisfying recording project I've ever done.

The songs:The World Is Going Wrong; All By Myself; Poor Boy; Fan It; Hard Time Killin' Floor; Sweet To Mama; Don't Sell It, Don't Give It Away; Cairo Blues; Under the Chicken Tree; Please Baby; Blues In the Bottle; Right Now Blues; Travelling Riverside; Yellow Dog Blues -- many of your old favorites, and perhaps some new ones too.

The best way to get ahold of it is via the Weenie Campbell Amazon link, which you can find  by clicking on "Weenie Juke Radio" and search on Amazon (for "Texas Sheiks") from there.  That way, Weenie Juke will earn a small commission.
This band (minus the late Stephen Bruton) is going to play 2 gigs in December, we'll be in Austin at the Saxon Pub on Sun. Dec. 6, and in Berkeley at the Freight & Salvage on Sat. Dec. 12.  If you are in the vicinity, or know folks who will be, you might want to check it out.  I'd say that these promise to be quite  amazing nights of music, and this bunch isn't going to get together very often.

There is a  review here:  http://www.sonicboomers.com/albumreviews/geoff-muldaur

And another here: http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/popvox/archive/2009/10/14/worth-your-time-geoff-muldaur-headliner-of-the-texas-sheiks.aspx

Offline pkeane

• PeterKeane.com
Re: Geoff Muldaur & Texas Sheiks
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 09:25:13 PM »
Thanks!  The sample track sounds superb -- I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of it.  Also looking forward to seeing you all at the Saxon on Dec 6!

--peter keane

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 08:24:28 AM »
Looking forward to hearing this, Suzy. Not too shabby lineup of talent on that disc. Ditto the tracklist. Off to get my copy.

(I shouldn't bother, but can't help it re. the otherwise glowing Newsweek review: I wonder which "old-time" musician pissed in Malcolm Jones' tea? Sheesh. Perhaps some ex made fun of his fiddling.)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 08:31:43 AM by uncle bud »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 08:54:37 AM »
Do play the video on the Newsweek page.  It's an interview with Geoff, interspersed with him playing an absolutely beautiful version of Henry Spaulding's "Cairo Blues".  I don't know if the version on the CD is just Geoff and his guitar like the video, but if it is, it's worth the price of the CD.  Well played and beautifully sung.  I kept wanting to shout "%#@* the interview, let me hear the song!"

Offline Cleoma

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 08:58:46 AM »
yeah, I wondered about Malcolm Jones' experience with old-time musicians too, but he is completely unclear on the concept, because most of those super-anal old-time musicians who carefully recreate every detail of older recordings (and I am one myself) completely realize that the service they do to the music is NOT to play it, but to send the listeners in search of the genuine article.  Having just spent several years working on the New Lost City Ramblers documentary, I can attest to the fact that sending listeners in search of the real deal is EXACTLY what the NLCR were trying to do.  For all I know, Malcolm Jones might have even been talking about them.
Suzy

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 09:08:21 AM »
Thanks for the tip, Suzy. I'm looking forward to getting this one. I'll second DJ's recommendation to watch the Newsweek video. I like when Geoff said, "[The music] comes from a country that used to be here." But I think that in many ways its still here--one just has to know where to look and listen.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 10:40:57 AM »
Really looking forward to this Suzy!  ...and we'll get it on Weenie Juke.  Great reviews as well!

Offline jtbrown

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 05:00:22 PM »
You can hear four sample tracks on the Texas Sheiks MySpace page, http://www.myspace.com/texassheiks.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 06:52:37 PM »
This is Miller (Buzz), reading while at Cowan's. We head to a gig tonite in an hour or so ("Third Thursday"). Anyway, have to pipe in about this CD> I already e'd Suzy off line, so this is for you guys and gals, and Suzy.

I listened to the CD tracks on line, loved them, ordered and now have the CD in my iTunes. If I could eat the CD and somehow absorb them, I would,  because the selections and the renditions are that good, in my opinion.

Have sussed out  several tunes. I intend to learn them and enjoy searching out the originals and singing them. The renditio of Cairo is beautiful. Geoff sings and plays it elegantly, the vocal is nice and haunting. The World is Gone Wrong is delicious, and wonderful.Did the Miss. Sheiks record that one? Can't find it on my playlists. Love the verses and the progression. Poor Boy is terrific. I can't recall which, think it is Poor Boy  that has a sweet 4 note progression on guitar and fiddle, that is repeated and sounds great. Wonderful, old time, pleasurable music. Chicken Tree is crazy-zany, and a must play for me  ;)

Suzy plays with taste and terrific tone. She is a huge part, a major contribution to the sound and flavor of the music. Cindy Cashdollar's dobro and steel guitar is resonant and clear, very tasteful. Jim Kweskin does a great job on his takes. Just a solid bunch of musicians, a solid selection of well-played, memorable tunes. Good job! I love this music and this CD. I recommend it highly to all.
Miller
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 07:23:14 PM »
Aaaahhh! What I get for staying logged in while taking a shower.

Looking forward to hearing the CD myself.

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline rjtwangs

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 07:38:59 PM »
Just wanted to say that I've had this disc for about 2 weeks now and I absolutely love it! Geoff sounds great as does the entire band. Certainly, Stephen Bruton and will be sorely missed. This disc is highly recommended to all here...

RJ

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 05:27:29 PM »
we'll be in Austin at the Saxon Pub on Sun. Dec. 6

That's great Suzy, I'll be there.

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 07:07:08 AM »
Between the Texas Sheiks and Maria Muldaur's Garden of Joy, I have been in hog heaven.  This all brings back memories of discovering the Jim Kweskin Jug Band while in high school.  Nice fiddling on both projects Suzy.  Those nagging drives have been made a little easier.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 11:45:56 AM »
This isn't pertinent to the topic but it reminded me of an issue of Record Research (63, Sept. 1964) of which a chunk was devoted to a report of that year's Newport Folk Festival. It contained the following plus a nice snapshot taken by Len Kunstadt of them performing:

THE JUG BANDS: Unfortunately we were unable to hear the performance of DAVE VAN RONK'S JUG BAND with Sam Charters (Mercury Records) Sunday Evening (26) owing to an early departure but we did hear the JIM KWESKIN JUG BAND (Sunder Afternoon (26) featuring versatile Jim and a newcomer to the group, a remarkable young lady by the name of MARIA d'AMATO. She not only sings in the classic blues mode but she plays violin, Kazoo, guitar, and she beats out the rhythm on a window screen! ! The Kweskin outfit is an inspired skiffle combination from the Boston-Cambridge Mass. area who were at the forefront of the recent revival of jug bands here in the U. S. A. Their instruments include washtub bass, harmonica, comb blue blowing, kazoos, jug, fiddle and a variety of guitars and banjos. Their repertoire has shades of the Mound City Blue Blowers and early Negro jug bands in their stylings. They are a surprising throwback to the roaring 20s when this type of hokum was at its peak. They jazzed, ragged, and made merry here. in their performances of RAG MAMA, I'M A WOMAN (Maria, vocal), SADIE GREEN, THE VAMP OF NEW ORLEANS (Maria on Kazoo), MY GAL (Maria on screen) and others. (see Miss Spivey's column for her special comments on Maria d'Amato)

BLUES IS MY BUSINESS by Victoria Spivey
A RISING STAR; ''MARIA d'AMATO"

Never judge a book from its cover and when a person is meek and humble don't judge them unless you know what you're doing Some months ago I met a little girl of this type. She never had much to say. She was with a certain revival jug band at that time. I studied her voice, her looks and her personality very well. I can tell you that I found nothing but success for this little lady. I called her aside and told her to go for herself and to find a spot in which she could show off her talents instead of being in the background. Well, whether she took my advice or it just happened, she did get a feature spot with a wonderful jug band led by a young man, Jim Kweskin. I was so happy for Maria and I just thrilled all over. Well, first I thought she would only sing. What a surprise I got when Maria started with the kazoo. Next she played the violin. Next she sang and played her guitar. Then she beat out some fine 'screen'. The band boys were 100 percent behind her with their great arrangements. Now with her fine blues voice, a sweet disposition and a great jug band she can really show off her wonderful talent. Keep your eyes cocked on Maria d'Amato. You will soon see another folk star. Stay as you are, Maria.

[Mods please relocate as you deem fit.]

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 08:46:52 PM »
Wow! Now there's an endorsement for you!
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal