The Unwound Third > Jam Session

Gardening

<< < (3/21) > >>

Richard:
Would you actually be growing cabbage greens then?

afunguy1:
I live on the side of a mountain in Arkansas and we grow ROCKS in our garden.  Every year I dig out big giant rocks and then the next year a whole new batch appears.  Seriously though, in between the rock picking I grow almost a years supply of vegetables for us to eat(we are vegetarians).  Love Mother Nature and she will show you her love in return.

GhostRider:

--- Quote from: afunguy1 on June 15, 2009, 09:32:37 AM ---I live on the side of a mountain in Arkansas and we grow ROCKS in our garden.  Every year I dig out big giant rocks and then the next year a whole new batch appears.  Seriously though, in between the rock picking I grow almost a years supply of vegetables for us to eat(we are vegetarians).  Love Mother Nature and she will show you her love in return.

--- End quote ---

You lucky dog!  The best thing you could find in a garden is rocks! Way more fun than stupid plants.

Alex (M.Sc. in Geology, 1981)

Bob B:
Hi

We are in So. Cal. and grow Beefsteak, Best Boy, Cherry and Early Girl Tomatoes in pots.  Also in pots are Bell Peppers and Basil.  We have Rosemary planted in the ground (more than a lifetime supply).  A terrific bonus of the Rosemary is the fragrance which is particularly enjoyable when the plant is trimmed.

John, we were able to grow tomatoes in the winter last year.  The varieties were Snomatoes, and Siberian tomatoes.  It might be worth a try in Washington.  They were mid-sized and pretty tasty, although not as abundant as the summer tomatoes.

One thing to watch for when foraging for berries is poison oak grows among them (in our area anyway).

Green Thumbs to all

Bob

Johnm:
Thanks for the tip on the snomatoes and the Siberian tomatoes, Bob.  I've never heard of them before and it would be good to find tomatoes that grew better up here.
All best,
Johnm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version