Country Blues > Down the Dirt Road

YouTube.com - Interesting Country Blues related video clips

<< < (365/365)

Forgetful Jones:
Hi John-
I hadn't heard that in a while. What a voice and what seriously strong playing! I had to listen multiple times. I find it funny that this "modern" recording is 60 years old. I've taken some guff from friends when I've used the same term.
Cheers

Johnm:
Hi Forgetful Jones,
You make a good point about that "modern" recording being 60 years old. I think that from a musical perspective, speaking of pre-1960 and post-1960 blues recordings is a more useful dividing line for the music than pre-War and post-War is. Post-1960 there was a resurgence of interest in acoustic blues, largely because of the recordings made of "re-discovered" blues musicians, as well as musicians who played acoustically who were being recorded for the first time, like Mance Lipscomb, Shirley Griffith, John Jackson and Frank Hovington, as well as a host of others. Acoustic blues was pretty moribund, commercially speaking, in the 1950s--the original record-buying audience for it had moved on to electric blues, R & B, Do-wop, and other styles.

Stuart:
It's one of those "frame of reference" things. I agree with John, although I'd probably say something like, "recorded in 'the modern era'" and  if there were any questions, explain the reasoning for the choice of wording, like John has done. There can be a lot of hair splitting and nit-picking with this kind of thing, but I prefer to keep it simple.

edited to add: As an aside, remember when a "Golden Oldie" was a hit on AM radio from only a few years ago? Where do the days go?  ;)

Forgetful Jones:

Shirley Griffith is a musician I need to explore. His name gets brought up here quite a bit, but I've haven't listened to many of his recordings. Mance is one of my favorites. I've wondered what he would have sounded like had he recorded earlier.

Guys like Frank Stokes & Tommy Johnson (and I'm sure many others) were just a handful of years away from making it to the modern recording era of 1960.
Cheers!

harriet:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version