Country Blues > Country Blues Licks and Lessons

Miller's Breakdown

<< < (465/468) > >>

Old Man Ned:
Prof Scratchy should take all the credit for getting Frank Edwards' "Terraplane Blues" in G, standard tuning. I went for open G (Spanish tuning) in my answer  :)
All the Best,
Ned

dj:

--- Quote ---I hope folks enjoyed the songs
--- End quote ---

I always enjoy the more obscure songs you dig up John, as well as the musical analysis.  I have to say that I particularly enjoyed discovering Archie Edwards via Baby Please Give Me A Break.  I'd never paid much attention to Edwards, and discovering him via this thread led me not only to him but to the whole Living Blues USA series of LPs recorded by Siegreied Christmann on a trip around the US in 1980. 

For anyone not familiar with the series, you can find info on all the LPs in Stephan Wirz's L+R discography here: https://www.wirz.de/music/lipprau.htm

And a bit odf discussion about the series here at Weenie Campbell from 13 years ago here: https://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=5172.0

Johnm:
I'm glad you enjoyed finding out about Archie Edwards, dj. A couple more of his songs have had their lyrics transcribed here. You can find them in Weeniepedia and then link back to where they were posted on the Forum and listen to his recordings of them. Thanks, too, to Old Man Ned for pointing out my error in remembering who posted what in the response to to the most recent puzzler. I need to review the responses before posting the answers and not rely solely on my memory of them.
All best,
Johnm

Johnm:
Hi all,
It's been a little while since I posted some new puzzlers and I have a couple of performances I particularly like, so I thought I'd post them for any interested parties. The first is from the St. Louis musician Arthur Weston, a St. Louis musician who had just one recording released under his name, on the Testament label. The song is "Cryin' Won't Make Me Stay", and here it is:

The questions on "Cryin' Won't Make Me Stay" are:
   * What playing position/tuning did Arthur Weston used to play the song?
   * Where did Arthur Weston fret his signature lick, as in :09--:13, and how did he articulate it in his picking hand?

INTRO

Well I'm going and I'm going, crying won't make me stay
Well I'm going, I'm going, and your crying won't make me stay
Well, the more you cry, the further you drive me away

If you ever been down, you know just how I feel
If you ever been down, you know just how I feel
Like some broke-down engine that ain't got no driver's wheel

Just take me, baby, I can't be bad no more
Now then, take me, baby, I can't be bad no more
Well, I'm tired of you foolin' around with old Mist' So-And So

The second song is from 1949 acoustic sessions by John Lee Hooker, and it is his version of "Rabbit In A Log" (though he sings it "rabbit on the log"). Here is "Rabbit In A Log":

The questions on "Rabbit In A Log" are:
   * What playing position/tuning did John Lee Hooker use to play the song?
   * Where did John Lee Hooker play the first three notes in his rendition?
   * Where did John Lee Hooker fret the instrumental interlude from :19--:29?

Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit on the log, possum up the tree

Rabbit told the possum, "Shake those 'simmons down. Shake those 'simmons down."

INTERLUDE

Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit on the log, I ain't got no rabbit dog, got no rabbit dog
Rabbit told the possum, "Shake those 'simmons down."

INTERLUDE

Way down, way down, way down, way down in old [          ]
Rabbit told the possum to shake those 'simmons down, shake those 'simmons down
Possum told the rabbit, possum told the rabbit, "You watch the dog and I'll shake the 'simmons down. You watch the dog and I shake the 'simmons down."

INTERLUDE

Way back, way back, way back, headed to my shanty, way back, mmm,
Way back, way back, way back, way back

Rabbit, rabbit on the log, rabbit on the log and I ain't got no rabbit dog, got no rabbit dog
Rabbit told the possum, "Shake those 'simmons down now, shake those 'simmons down."

INTERLUDE

(Spoken: Yeah, it's the dog.) Ooo, ooo, ooo. Ooo, ooo, ooo. Ooo, ooo, ooo.
Shake those 'simmons down, ooo, ooo, ooo, shake those 'simmons down
Possum told the rabbit, "You watch for the dog. You watch for the dog and I'll shake those 'simmons down, oh Lord
Ooo, ooo, ooo. Ooo, ooo, ooo. Me and my dog, we gonna go and on, go out in the woods. Ooo, ooo, ooo. Shake them 'simmons down

INTERLUDE

Headed way back, way back, way back, to my shanty, way back, way back, way back
Hounds on my track, chickens on my back, headed way back, to my shanty, way back, mmm

INTERLUDE

Shake those 'simmons, shakin' 'em down,
Rabbit told the possum, "Shake those 'simmons, shake 'em down."
Possum told the rabbit, possum told the rabbit, "You watch for the dog, I'll shake the 'simmons down, I shake the 'simmons down, shake them down." Mmm, mmm, mmm, mmm

Headed way back, to my shanty, head way back
Moon is a-risin', moon is a-risin'. Possum in the log, possum's a-walkin'
Way way back, way way back

Please use only your ears and your guitars to arrive at your answers, and please don't post any answers before 8:00 AM your time on Friday, November 5. Thanks for your participation, and I hope you enjoy the songs.

All best,
Johnm

blueshome:
Tentatively Iíll put Arthur Weston in C standard up a fret.
JLH - Spanish at C. The lick is bent 3rd string 3rd fret with the open 2nd string.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version