collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Life is a lot like jazz. It's best when you improvise - George Gershwin

Author Topic: Introductions: When the Roll is called...  (Read 222853 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Introductions: When the Roll is called...
« Reply #165 on: July 18, 2005, 10:31:56 AM »
Welcome Kenny!  You have cool parents.  :)

Offline JTBlue

« Reply #166 on: August 11, 2005, 06:15:15 PM »
By way of introduction, I just returned from my first time as a singer at Blues Week and haven't quite landed yet.  What an amazing time...  How many weeks until nest year???

JTBlue

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: August 11, 2005, 07:22:03 PM »
Welcome JTBlue!

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #168 on: August 24, 2005, 07:08:32 PM »
Looks like Mary Flower is now among us--Welcome! (Why does the word "slumming" suddenly come to mind?? ;)--just kidding!!)

Easy Rider

« Reply #169 on: August 29, 2005, 06:57:40 AM »
Hiya!

I have finally joined this forum.  I recognize some of your names, and many of you will recognize my handle, from a couple of other forums I participate in.  I was lucky to get the same handle here.  No one can impersonate me!  I'm one of a kind.  ;D

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2005, 07:03:17 AM »
Welcome to WC Easy Rider!

Offline bluesdog

• Whats wrong with peace, love and understanding.
« Reply #171 on: August 29, 2005, 11:27:14 AM »
My name is John, 51 years old and live in Macclenny, Florida, about 5 min from the GA. line.  Been playing the guitar since I was 13. Got hooked on the Blues when I lived in England as a teen listening  Mike Raven's R and B program on the beeb in the early 70's. Just got  DSL and I'm finally able to hear the Weenie Juke. It's the first thing I now go to when I turn on my computer so I can listen to the country blues while I surf..
I play blues and old school country on my Gibson SJ and National Delphi. I like the slide guitar style delta blues like Son House, Mississippi Fred McDowell, etc. as well as the country blues picking styles of Furry Lewis and Rev. Gary Davis.
Live from the Okeefenokee Swamp.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: August 29, 2005, 12:05:38 PM »
Welcome John!  Glad you got the Juke going!

chipmonk doug

« Reply #173 on: August 30, 2005, 03:32:26 AM »
Hey Bluesdog give me a call and we'll pick some.
I'm in Bell with a Branford number you know the area code, 935-0289

Doug

boots

« Reply #174 on: August 30, 2005, 06:23:21 AM »
Nice to be reminded of Mike Raven's programme. I was an avid listener back then. The Peeler had a good show around that time.

greenoak

« Reply #175 on: August 30, 2005, 06:24:33 AM »
Hi! I'm Bob from Lyman, NH. Have been playing guitar on and off since I was a youngster. I'm just a parlour picker but find playing a great stress reliever from my job as a network administrator. Having returned from my 3rd trip to PT and hearing about WeenieCampbell.com it was the first place I visited when I booted up my computer upon my return home. Awesome site - It has become addictive.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: August 30, 2005, 06:51:18 AM »
Welcome Bob!

arbarnhart

« Reply #177 on: September 20, 2005, 12:48:56 PM »
I am a new member in Raleigh, NC. Over the years, I have played guitar and piano, though not really very well. Now I am concentrating on the mandolin, and yes, playing blues on the mandolin. I listen to a lot of Yank Rachell, Johny Young and Howard Armstrong. I do some porch picking with two neighbors who play guitar, though one brings a banjo instead sometimes. We play blues and some blues inspired classic rock. We are thinking of doing a 3 song set at our local blues jam one of these days. My pick will definitely be an acoustic contry blues selection. Lately I have been playing the juke box here and trying to play along. It's not trivial; a lot of the songs seem to have a different tuning and are "unfindable" with A=440 tuning.

-Andy

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #178 on: September 20, 2005, 01:20:27 PM »
Welcome to Weenie Campbell, Andy.

Seems like we're getting more mando players lately, which is great.

A couple of factors that may affect the tuning on recordings are that the recording speed may have been a little off or that the musicians tuned to each other, but not to a tuning fork. Sometimes it sounds like they didn't even tune to each other, eh?

Another thing to be aware of is that Yank often tuned his mando down to E instead of G because E was a favored key of many guitarists.

All for now.
John C.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 01:22:10 PM by waxwing »
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

arbarnhart

« Reply #179 on: September 20, 2005, 02:07:44 PM »
I had heard that about Yank's tuning. I am all too familiar with how much guitarists like the key of E. I can do a reasonable 12 bar using a barred A and B with an open E but when you throw in the alternating 7ths it doesn't sound quite as good. I can also take the whole progression an octave higher but that has its own problems. If they want me to carry rhythm really well, we play in G!

-Andy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal