collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
This music is our genetic code - Bonnie Raitt, commenting on the importance of blues music

Author Topic: Introductions: When the Roll is called...  (Read 222066 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Introductions: When the Roll is called...
« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2005, 01:07:28 PM »
Welcome Wayne!  Sounds like a good place to start!

Offline onewent

• Mr. So and So
    • vintagebluesguitars.com
« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2005, 04:22:29 PM »
...welcome, Wayno, nice to see 'new' converts to the old stuff ... and one word of caution ... this stuff can be very habit forming, so go ahead, over-indulge yourself ... >:D

gtrrobster

« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2005, 06:02:01 AM »
Hi All,

Just wanted to say hey.....i have posts in the past, but i think this is my first post.  (though i have babbled quite a bit at Stefan's woodshed)

seems like a great group here.   i am so tempted to attend PT one of these summers.    As it is,  i attend Swananoa Gathering in Asheville,  NC
during the same week.   and since i live 10 minutes from that camp and work on the campus where SG is held,  it is hard to beat that!   This will be my 7th year.
But i do look forward to attending PT soon.

the thread on recording classes and mini discs has been very helpful.
i have many years od class tape ona cheap recorder, and some are so broken up is is painful to listen to.   the MD recordings are clear as day.
plus you can go back after the fact, insert track marks as you review the class,  erase and delete the useless stuff out....and after a few days of music, beer and no sleep....there are some digressions having nothing to do with music!
they are actually good,  just to give people a break form concentrating....
and although tape and analog does the trick...and rewiding is not such an ordeal,  the ability to instantly access a part of class and create a trak mark there is really really usiseful when you have over 25 hours of recorded material.

best regrds,
i look forward to joining in on the chat.

Rob

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: April 11, 2005, 07:07:57 AM »
Welcome Rob - thanks for De-lurking!  ;)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2005, 07:38:28 AM »
welcome Rob!

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #125 on: April 11, 2005, 01:02:01 PM »
Welcome!

Asheville and a Gathering, must be  Fiddle and Country String Band Music. Sounds great.
Suzy Thompson (fiddle) and her husband Eric (guitar, mando), here in Berkeley, are really into
 old time and string band music, calls his group the Thompson Ticklers I think.  If she goes through your area, definitely go to hear her. She is terrific, great projecting voice, real old feeling for the ladies and their blues tunes from the Pre-War period.

Met a fiddler in the East Bay (SF) Old Time Music Scene a few weeks back, and he turned me onto some jams and potlucks for that type of music. Sounds great...if only there were time!
Yet, time or not, PT is my first priority, every summer. Like a tonic!  Like a immunization! It keeps me going for a year, full of love for the music, tons on MD o learn, great moments with old friends, capital beverages and libations, cool instruments and tunes played together, great cameraderie! You gotta come on out sometime.
Buzz
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

Offline jed

« Reply #126 on: April 11, 2005, 01:24:46 PM »
Rob,

Swananoa looks fun; if you have any energy left at the end of the week, maybe you can fly out w/Steve James to make PTCBW this time!

In the meantime, have a ball on the site - check out the lyrics discussions, Weenie recordings on the Back Porch, originals on the Juke.  And feel free to babble here, too - it's half the fun!

Cheers,
Jed
ok then:  http://jed.net

mojohand

« Reply #127 on: April 11, 2005, 01:31:38 PM »
welcome.  I'm new here as well and have found everyone to be great.

MH

gtrrobster

« Reply #128 on: April 12, 2005, 05:35:23 AM »
thanks for the greetings  :)

Steve James....that guy is one of the best teachers i have ever taken class with.
even if he is sort of quite and shy!  hehe
truth is, i have never seen a person with so much energy, knowledge,
and the clarity to convey all he knows.
i took his blues mando class last summer.....never touched a mandolin before in my life...and managed to learn the tunes pretty well  until mid week when info over load and sleep deprivation rendered me useless other than have fun at  classes, record them,  and hit the beer wagon at night.

highly recommended teacher!    any others out there take his classes
or worked with his videos?

robster

Offline jed

« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2005, 03:03:54 AM »
Oh, yeah!  StevJam is an eloquent didact!  Weenies have been feted by his classes nearly every year PT has been going.  By the way, equal to Mr. James in clarity and interest are his own touring pal Del Rey (who can teach a 3-year old to fingerpick) and John Miller, who (JohnM, you can close your ears for this part) is not only a natural fountain of music but inspires students to go practice immediately after his classes about some of the most obscure artists and tunes.

And think about this, robster - you can only experience all of them at PT!

Cheers,
Jed
ok then:  http://jed.net

Offline Buzz

• Howdy!
« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2005, 06:20:07 PM »
Too right!

For example:last summer when I left PT, I had MDs (to learn  :P) of 4-6 tunes on mando by Rich del Grosso in class , a few from Lightnion'Wells class on BBFuller, a bunch of tunes broken down by John Miller--some arcane and remarkable tunes--on guitar, a few Memphis Minnie tunes from Del Rey's classes. Jeesh, so much material, so little time!

More fun coming soon!
Buzz
Do good, be nice, eat well, smile, treat the ladies well, and ignore all news reports--which  can't be believed anyway,

Buzz

FiddlinBlues

« Reply #131 on: April 24, 2005, 08:57:39 PM »
Well, somewhere in these pages I remember posting...now I cannot find my own intro... garsh, getting old is fun!  ;) Anyhow, I'm "Fiddlin' Blues" living in North Carolina, playing blues fiddle when I can and currently pushing the chat room with no luck.  I talked to Slack today and mentioned the chat room again.  We discussed setting up a topic and perhaps meeting on Sundays.  How about it?  Anyone think it's a good idea?  If you don't, then don't vote on the issue...  ;)

-FB

Junior

« Reply #132 on: April 25, 2005, 03:58:46 PM »
Hello all!

I`m a newbie. I got the link to this site from Roger Stolle`s "Cathead" newsletter. I could hardly believe I have been missing out for so long. I`m a "baby boomer" who currently lives in Boston, MA. While I was born here, I spent much of my adult life in East Texas, the Florida Keys and the White Mts of NH. I have played guitar and harmonica as a hobby for too many years to count. I have been a country Blues fanatic for just as long. I am currently planning to move to the Delta. I have spent vacations in the Delta at the King Biscuit Fest for 6 years now, and love the lifestyle and the people there. So, this year, when I go, I`m staying!

I play a mid-priced Martin 16GT and 2 Fender resonators (one metal, one wood). I stick to acoustic Blues, but occasionally play amplified harp with a band. I sometimes play harp-in-a-rack and am experimenting with a a harmonica rack mic and pre-amp set-up.

I`m looking forward to getting to know some folks here and know I`ll surley make some online friends here.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2005, 04:16:06 PM »
Welcome Junior!

What is "Cathead " newsletter?  is this an internet newsletter?

Cheers,
slack

Offline SteveMcBill

• This too shall pass! So grab it while you can!
    • Steve Mc's Acoustic Guitar
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2005, 10:37:59 AM »
Slack

Try over at: http://www.cathead.biz/livemusic

Cheers.

Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal