collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Oh man, I just wish you people had come along twenty years ago; I was in my prime then - Mance Lipscomb to Paul Oliver, Chris Strachwitz and Mack McCormick, 1960

Author Topic: Daddy John's Birthday!  (Read 9452 times)

Offline colm kill paul

Daddy John's Birthday!
« on: March 08, 2012, 01:20:08 AM »
Hi Folks,

I wanted to celebrate today the anniversary of the birth of Mississippi John Hurt ("Daddy John" to his family).Today, 120 years ago, the world became a better place imho!

There is confusion about MJH's exact birthday.Philip Ratcliffe?s in his book " MJH, His Life, His Times, His Blues" observed the following: "Several dates have been recorded: March 8, 1892 (grave marker), ?man? Hurt (Son), Fred Bolden (grandnephew) Mar 16 1892 (social Security death index) may 7,1893 (some family members) May 8, 1895 (draft registration)" but in the end he opted to go with the March 8, 1892. So I'm happy to go with today also.

I'm playing "My Creole Belle" as taught by John Miller in his  The Guitar of MJH Vol 1 DVD and it is transcribed from the 1963 recording on Rounder records " Avalon Blues" if memory serves.

Philip Ratcliffe notes about this tune: "Creole Belles, was a cakewalk hit written in 1901 by Bodewalt Lampe with words by George Sidey on which John (Hurt) modelled his song ? My Creole Belle?. However, John ommitted most of Sidneys words and modified the tune considerably to suit his own style.".

My attempt here fails spectacularly to capture the magic of John's original but I hope up there some where John gets a kick to know his music inspired me to go out and try!

Happy Birthday Daddy John!

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11491927
Click on this link to jump to the tune on my Sound Click page.

Colm

PS (MP3 file was too big to insert directly ... hence the link)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:42:10 AM by colm kill paul »

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Re: Daddy John's Birthday!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 01:22:10 AM »
I shall listen and add something of my own when I get back from work.... :D

Get posting folks!

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 11:35:57 AM »
nice of you to bring this up CKP. The National Endowment-funded project that allowed the CD "Discovery" to be issued also enabled the production of a museum exhibit which is now on display at Middle Tennessee State University through the end of March. The University's Center for Popular Music was most helpful in providing images. The exhibit will become part of the permanent collection at the Delta Blues Museum in Clarkdale, MS when they've completed the expansion of their building. (and it's Phil Ratcliffe who wrote the book) :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:38:41 AM by bnemerov »

Offline colm kill paul

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 11:45:23 AM »
DooH! Of course it's Philip! >:( Thanks for setting me straight! Colm

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 11:55:02 AM »
Did you ever meet Phil Colm?  Used to be an EBA regular...

Anyway, I said I'd add something.  Small MP3 quality issues as ever- but I think its not too bad...

Offline colm kill paul

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 12:04:26 PM »
 Stagolee is Most Excellent Simon in every respect! Love it!

Never met Philip at EBA but would be delighted to cross his path at some point in the future. His book is a master piece!

Colm

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 03:07:09 PM »
Happy Birthday Mississippi John!

Nice tunes guys - and that's a pretty sounding guitar you have there, Colm.

here's my version of Ain't No Tellin' - a bizzarre S&M anthem from the 20s

Offline Gerry Clarke

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 05:14:06 PM »

Well done guys!

Gerry

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 05:17:06 PM »

Well done guys!

Gerry

What he said!

Cheers

Pan

Offline colm kill paul

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 12:13:54 AM »
Gumbo,

Thanks for posting up a tune. I think you have a great feel on that one. Really enjoyed it.

FYI my guitar is a Lowden O35c, and I love it to bits, so thanks for the complement on the sound. It's the only guitar I have and I think the older it gets the better it sounds. Unfortunately the reverse applies to me ;)

Colm

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 11:57:43 AM »
Colm
I thought it sounded like on of those "i daren't look at the price tag" type guitars! :) Lovely sound.

i should say that my "bizarre S&M anthem" theory for Ain't no Tellin' has been debunked and rightfully so. It was just me mishearing the original lyric! Maybe I should do a rewrite?

I must now go away and put some time in to get my thumb working properly. I'm looking forward to hearing how this piece progresses over the next few months.

here's to the next 120 years :)

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 12:08:39 PM »
Nice renditions, guys!  I would have liked to contribute something, but trying to figure out Garage Band and getting something recorded in the same day over-taxed my computer abilities.
All best,
Johnm

Offline colm kill paul

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 02:13:50 PM »
Thanks Johnm!

Offline iantonionni

• Shw'mae!
    • The Bay Rum Hounds on Bandcamp
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 09:53:27 AM »
I'm a bit late with this, but I'd just like to join in the birthday celebrations with Jelly Roll Jones' version of Richland Woman, it's my favourite of all the songs we do. This was recorded a couple of years ago.

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 10:27:40 AM »

Great! You guys need a manager?

Looking at the whole scene, you've got all the necessary ingredients for a massively good time--musical instruments, beers, and someone gettin' down with a scrubboard.

Thanks for posting that.

Lindy

ps Where do the spouses go? Salsa dancing?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal