collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The cruel irony is that the majority of "The People" can't stand the noise that comes out for more than a few seconds unless it's in the hands of a competent operator. This, combined with the common belief that anyone can play it right away (cue up "Oh Susanna") has created a nearly unbearable tension between the harmonica, its enthusiasts and the rest of humanity. I believe that this tension can be relieved and that the harmonica can take its rightful honored place in the post-apocalyptic world to come - Mark Graham, harmonica ace

Author Topic: Blues player's timeline  (Read 945 times)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
Blues player's timeline
« on: April 08, 2013, 12:44:32 PM »
I wonder if anyone knows of a year by year timeline of Blues players birth dates?
For example who was the oldest recorded musician , Henry Thomas perhaps?
I'm assuming that the first generation of players must have been born ca.1885- 1890. Does that sound about right?
I'm also sort of thinking that the last gasp of what might be called the first wave or the first & second wave were born around 1927. What say you?
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Alexei McDonald

• Howdy!
Re: Blues player's timeline
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 01:24:47 PM »
Paul Oliver's book Songsters & Saints does something like this, splitting up bluesmen by generation, but it's so long since I read it that I remember very little. Daddy Stovepipe (Johnny Watson) was probably the very oldest of them, since he was born in 1867.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 01:59:25 PM »
Thanks Alexi. Time-Life had an art book series with a very helpful timeline of artist's dates in column form divided by country. A similar chart with dates divided by state and perhaps subdivided by town or city would be great. Maybe a great weeniepedia addition.
If people supply me with whatever names you'd like to see included and dates if you have them, likewise place, I'll undertake to put this together.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:15:48 PM by Mr.OMuck »
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 02:46:46 PM »
FWIW, John Tefteller's Blues Images calendar lists many blues musicians birth and death dates and places. Didn't we use to have such a calendar on Weenie too, or does my memory fail me?

Cheers

Pan

Offline wreid75

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 05:52:06 PM »
I remember a few years ago about a country blues singer that performed until his death in the 1960s .at which time he was either 100 or over 100.  Does this ring a bell to anyone?

Offline oddenda

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 07:01:27 PM »
I believe that it is Nathan Beauregard that you are thinking of; he may not have been that old, though.

pbl

Offline Bill Roggensack

• Not dead yet!
Blues player's timeline
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 10:08:54 PM »
Pan - Might you be thinking of the births and deaths message that issues every day on the Pre-War Blues List?

Sent from Mr. Page's iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers,
FrontPage

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 11:27:24 PM »
If it is Nathan Beauregard then here's his discography

http://www.wirz.de/music/beaurfrm.htm

Somebody reviewing the 1968 Memphis Country Blues Festival Blue Horizon LP jokingly referred to him as  the Tutankhamen of the blues, due to his facial features.  :o

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 02:55:32 AM »
Pan - Might you be thinking of the births and deaths message that issues every day on the Pre-War Blues List?

Sent from Mr. Page's iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm. Maybe I was confusing that with the events calendar on the home page of Weenie.

Cheers

Pan

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 03:42:57 AM »
O'Muck, you can get to all of Eric LeBlanc's Blues birth and death dates at the Blues World website here: http://www.bluesworld.com/bluesdates.html.  He's got a pretty broad interpretation of who's "blues-related", and the list doesn't seem to have been updated in a while, but it's a good place to start.

Offline The Jazzbo Tommy Settler

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 04:04:49 AM »
Paul Oliver's book Songsters & Saints does something like this, splitting up bluesmen by generation, but it's so long since I read it that I remember very little. Daddy Stovepipe (Johnny Watson) was probably the very oldest of them, since he was born in 1867.

Wow, that means he was 93 when he recorded in 1960 for Heritage.
A few of my favourite tunes: Telephone Girl - Arville Reed, Rag Baby - Willie Baker, Big Bed Bug - Jazzbo Tommy Settler, How Long Blues - Jed Davenport, Toodle Doo - Alec Johnson, Am I Right Or Wrong - Son House, Don't The Moon Look Pretty - Seven Coloured Boys, Barbecue Bust - Blind Roosevelt Graves, Omie Wise - Grayson & Whitter.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 04:36:05 AM »
Wow, that means he was 93 when he recorded in 1960 for Heritage.
In 1963, shortly before his death, Ray Flerlage took photos of Stovepipe in performance at the Fickle Pickle in Chicago. One of these, a head shot, was published in Sing Out magazine that year. This can be viewed at Stefan's Stovepipe discography. It could almost have come from the remarkable lens of Carl Van Vetchen. But I digress...

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 12:43:14 PM »
Hi all,
I believe Gus Cannon was another musician who was born considerably earlier than 1885, possibly in the early 1870s.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 11:10:37 PM »
Hi all,
I believe Gus Cannon was another musician who was born considerably earlier than 1885, possibly in the early 1870s.
All best,
Johnm
The current received wisdom is:

September 12, 1883 on a Plantation near Red Bank (Marshall County), Mississippi

Sam Charters gleaned this from Cannon in 1959.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal