collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Among this pack of cranks, where nuts are not only tolerated, but a welcome part of the social landscape, (78 collector) Bussard is the odd man out of the oddballs: an unschooled and profane "pure cracker" (in the words of a fellow collector) among a bunch of mostly urbane Northerners - Joe Bussard, story by Eddie Dean, washingtoncitypaper.com

Author Topic: Jimmie Tarlton  (Read 5833 times)

HardLuckChild

Jimmie Tarlton
« on: May 17, 2004, 01:45:59 PM »
I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with Jimmie Tarlton, but he's probably my favorite artist to listen to. There were two stages in his career- the first being his duo with Tom Darby, who was born way back in 1884, and the second being his solo career in the 1960s. His best stuff was with Tom in the pre-war years, and is available in its entirety in box set form via Amazon.com. His recordings during the blues/folk boom can also be found on Amazon.com on his cd called "Steel Guitar Rag."
Darby had mastered the rudiments of guitar and had a steady and deep voice. Jimmie would often howl over the end of Tom's vocal lines, creating an absolutely awe-inspiring sound. In fact, Jimmie Tarlton's singing was beautiful; he had the voice of an Irish tenor and he could hit incredibly high notes. He was an amazing guitarist who was truly one of a kind. His guitar style was a mix of black blues slide playing and the lap style of Hawaii. His repertorie was endless: everything from "When You and I Were Young, Maggie" to "Careless Love" to "Lonesome in The Pines" (known to most as "In The Pines") to "Lowe Bonnie," a ballad from the British Isles. He also recorded a version of "Frankie & Johnny," which Darby & Tarlton called "Frankie Dean."
The really great part is that nobody sounds ANYTHING like Jimmie Tarlton. Johnny James Rimbert Tarlton had all the bases covered, and I've never heard a more complete musician. Aside from the aformentioned skills, I'm filled with a really primitive but beautiful feeling whenever I hear the man's work. It's the same kind of feeling I get from the best- Hank Williams Sr., Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters- but perhaps this emotion is even more blatant and compelling when produced by Jimmie Tarlton's tunes.
Since Tarlton's isn't really a country blues artist, and can be better described as being an Old-Timey musician, I'm not sure how familiar everyone is with J.T. If anyone wants an mp3 or two of his, just e-mail me at Quicksi11ver@aol.com.

Offline Eldergreene

• Howdy!
Re: Jimmie Tarlton
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 08:44:01 AM »
Fine indeed, I've loved his work ever since first hearing "Sweet Sarah Blues", must be some 30 years now; another artist of similarish ilk is Cliff Carlisle, I'd guess that if you like one, you'll likely dig the other -good stuff!

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 10:02:04 AM »
I had no idea that he survived into the 60's!  That's flat out amazing considering his birth year.  I don't think any of the black musicians who enjoyed a second career in the 60's were born as early as the 1880's.  Maybe Gus Cannon, but I'm not sure...

HardLuckChild

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 10:22:51 PM »
Actually, it was Darby who was born in 1884. Tarlton was born on May 8, 1892. Cliff Carlisle is good but nowhere near as good as Tarlton, in my opinion. Though I enjoy Carlisle and don't mean to knock him, Cliff relies heavily on yodelling and his lyrical topics seem less "heavy," emotional, and developed than Tarlton's. I have the Arhoolie Carlisle disc, and I understand from the liner notes that he recorded hundreds and hundreds of songs. Perhaps I'd enjoy a different batch of Carlisle songs more, but they don't seem to be available on cd.

It's great that you guys know who Tarlton is! I can't even find a website devoted to him, so I e-mailed the guy who runs the Dock Boggs Long Time Coming site and asked him if he'd be interested in making a similar site for J.T.

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 01:30:24 PM »
I have a CD of Cliff Carlise on the Zircon Hillbilly Clasics label

Probably the usual old stuff, but if you want I'll liist them so let me know.
(That's enough of that. Ed)

HardLuckChild

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2004, 07:49:01 PM »
Cool! I'd love for you to list them.

As everyone can tell, I'm obsessed with Tarlton. So if anyone wants some mp3s of his, just let me know! I'll e-mail 'em. If you love white guys playing Hawaiian blues love songs, he's your guy!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 07:52:26 PM by HardLuckChild »

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2004, 04:08:53 PM »
I'll do it tomorrow and there is also somewhere a very knacked LP or two of Tarlton which I will try and look out as well.

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 04:01:36 AM »
Back again, these are the titles on the Cliff Carlisle CD - I imagine because he worked with Jimmie Rodgers (my correct spelling) some of his style rubbed off - or if you think about it who came first with this particular style Rodgers or Carlisle, no doubt Rodger had the fame, but?.
Ash Can Blues is probably the most commonly heard tune, some of the others are best described as novelties but when he put his mind to it he could certainly play a blues lap style.

As for the Tarlton LPs I can't find them immediately but will no doubt turn them up soon.

Ash can blues
Dang my rowdy soul
Rooster blues
Nevada Johnny
Goin' down the road feelin bad
Shot the innocent man
Ringtail Tom
Hobo's fate
Waiting for a ride
Seven years
Goddbye old pal
Gamblin man
Cowboy Johnnys last ride
Sugar cane mama
Mouse ear blues
Onion eating mama
Tom cat blues
Shanghi rooster blues
Lomesome for Caroline
Great judgement day
Chicken roost blues
A mean woman
It takes an old hen
Uncloudy day
Wrigglin mama

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 09:06:26 PM »
Please take it to email guys - thanks.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2004, 09:25:00 PM »
John, I've already sent HLC an email about advertising mp3s.

Thanks,
slack

Offline Montgomery

• Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2004, 11:34:17 AM »
According to the Bear Family set, Darby was born in 1890, 2 years before Tarlton.  I don't know who was born in '84.

HardLuckChild

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2004, 11:45:37 AM »
Allmusic.com lists it as 1884. Allmusic tends to be very accurate, and has biographies on some very obscure artists. But I suppose the Bear Family set could be correct.

Tags: Jimmie Tarlton 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal