collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
...and next up is Lovestick Steve... [and the crowd roars] - Thomas Corlett, Port Townsend 96, emcee at participants concert

Author Topic: John Miller Website  (Read 79721 times)

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: John Miller Website
« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2018, 11:58:53 AM »
Thanks very much for the good words, Vermonter, and I'm glad to hear that you were able to pick up the tune quickly.
All best,
Johnm

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
"That Won't Do", by Arthur Pettis, the May, 2018 Song of the Month lesson
« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2018, 02:46:57 PM »
Hi all,
I'm sorry to be slow getting the Song of the Month lesson for May announced, but I had to re-up at paypal and didn't want to announce the new lesson until I had that in place.  The Song of the Month lesson for May, 2018 is "That Won't Do", a great, raggy C blues by Arthur Pettis, a very skillful but under-recorded musician born in Mississippi who re-located to Chicago as a young man.  Here is a link to his performance of "That Won't Do":

The lesson is available for the month of May, 2018 only for $35.00, U. S.  The transcription you'll receive with the lesson includes Arthur Pettis' introductory solo, his verse accompaniment, both of his later solos and his coda.  For more information on the lesson or to order the lesson, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section. I hope you'll take advantage of this opportunity to learn a great performance by one of the Country Blues' unsung heroes.
All best,
Johnm

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: "That Won't Do" by Arthur Pettis, the Song of the Month lesson
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2018, 08:52:22 AM »
Hi all,
This is just a reminder that the Song of the Month lesson for May at my website is on Arthur Pettis' "That Won't Do".  The lesson is available during May for $35.00 (or $42.00 to U. S. residents who want a hard copy lesson).  The lesson includes a transcription of Arthur Pettis' intro solo, his verse accompaniment, his two later solos and his coda.  You can listen to his performance of the song at the last previous post in this thread.  For more information or to order the lesson go to www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section.  Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
"Faro", by Rosa Lee Hill, Song of the Month lesson for June, 2018
« Reply #138 on: June 01, 2018, 06:37:48 AM »
Hi,
I wanted to let you know that I have selected "Faro", by Rosa Lee Hill, for my Song of the Month lesson for June, 2018. Rosa Lee Hill was one of the progenitors of the Mississippi Hill Country style of blues, and is my particular favorite. "Faro" is an eerie number that combines a haunting vocal accompaniment with a hypnotic instrumental response.  Here is Rosa Lee Hill's performance of "Faro":

For the lesson, I have transcribed her intro and the first four verses of the song.  The lesson provides a TAB transcription and very thorough technical talk-throughs of the transcription, with fingering and picking suggestions.  For the month of June, 2018 only, I am offering the lesson on "Faro" for $35.00 (or for $42.00 to U.S. residents who would like a hard copy version of the lesson).  For more information, or to order the lesson, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section.  I hope you'll want to take advantage of this opportunity to learn a song from one of the greatest of the Mississippi blues guitarists.
All best,
Johnm

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
"Faro", by Rosa Lee Hill, the Song of the Month lesson for June, 2018
« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2018, 09:55:18 AM »
Hi all,
This is just a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson at my website is "Faro", by Rosa Lee Hill, a hypnotic number you can listen to at the post previous to this one in this thread.  For the month of June, 2018 only, I am offering a lesson on "Faro" for $35.00.  For more information or to find out how to order the lesson, go to my website at:  http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html .  Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm 

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #140 on: June 17, 2018, 01:28:50 AM »
This is a wonderful song, for which you only need two fingers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
"Charley Stone" by Larry Johnson: the July, 2018 Song of the Month lesson
« Reply #141 on: July 02, 2018, 06:14:00 AM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson I have selected for July, 2018 is Larry Johnson's "Charley Stone", taken from his break-through album "Fast and Funky", released in 1971 on the Blue Goose label.  Larry's exciting and original playing and song-writing created something of a sensation at that time, and for many listeners, "Charley Stone" was the high point of that album.  Here it is:

As you can hear, "Charley Stone" is a raggy number with a catchy sound and distinctive ways of moving through the chord progression.  For the month of July, 2018 only, I am offering a lesson on "Charley Stone" for $35.00 (a hard copy version of th lesson is available to U. S. residents for $42.00).  The lesson includes a TAB transcription of the song's intro, and the accompaniments to both verses, as well as Larry's coda, and very thorough talk-throughs of the transcription, with fingering and picking tips.  For more information, or to order the lesson, go to my website at:  www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section.  I hope you'll take advantage of this opportunity to learn a song from one of the real innovators in the style.

All best,
John

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2018, 08:45:01 AM »
Hi all,
This is just a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson at my website is "Charley Stone", by Larry Johnson, a terrific raggy number you can listen to at the post previous to this one in this thread.  For the month of July, 2018 only, I am offering a lesson on "Charley Stone" for $35.00.  For more information or to find out how to order the lesson, go to my website at:  http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html .  Thanks for your time.
All best,
Johnm

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
J B Lenoir's "Alabama Blues", Song of the Month lesson for September, 2018
« Reply #143 on: September 01, 2018, 09:46:55 AM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson that I am offering for September, 2018 is "Alabama Blues", by J B Lenoir.  It is a beautifully played piece for which J B accompanied himself out of E position in standard tuning, and the transcription includes his intro, verse accompaniment (which he played as a set piece) and his coda.  J B's right hand approach utilized the thumb in varied ways--runs, brush strokes, time-keeping on two strings, etc.  Here is a link to J B's performance:

For the month of September, 2018 only, I am offering this lesson for $35.00 for a virtual lesson, which includes TAB of the transcription and very through talk-throughs of the playing.  U. S. residents only have the option of ordering a hard copy lesson for $42.00.  After September, the song will be offered at the regular pre-transcribed rate of $55.00.  For more information, or to find out how to order the lesson, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com, in the Teaching section.
All best,
Johnm

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: J B Lenoir's "Alabama Blues", Song of the Month lesson for September, 2018
« Reply #144 on: September 15, 2018, 03:02:47 PM »
Hi all,
This is just a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson for September, 2018 at my website is on J B Lenoir's "Alabama Blues", which you can listen to on the post previous to this one in this thread.  For the month of September only, the cost of the lesson is $35.00, and after September, the price will revert to $55.00.  For more information, or to order the lesson, go to:  http://www.johnmillerguitar.com/teaching.html .  Thanks!
All best,
Johnm

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Papa Eggshell's "Goin' Up the Country, Part 2, SotM lesson, October, 2018
« Reply #145 on: October 01, 2018, 08:00:43 AM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know about the Song of the Month lesson I am offering for October, 2018.  It is "Goin' Up The Country, Part 2", by Lawrence "Papa Eggshell" Casey, a terrific St. Louis guitarist.  Papa Eggshell (so dubbed because of his bald pate) only recorded four solo titles, and this one is a souped-up version of "Kansas City Blues", with some really novel and original ways of getting around in E and some exciting thumb-popped bass runs.  Here is his performance (which is mislabeled in the video, it is Part 2):

I'm offering the lesson on "Goin' Up The Country, Part 2" for "$35.00 U. S. for the month of October, 2018 only, after which the price will go up to the standard pre-transcribed rate of $55.00.  A hard copy version of the lesson can be purchased by U.S. residents only, for $42.00.  With the lesson, you get a TAB transcription that includes Papa Eggshell's intro, verse one accompaniment and solo, and very thorough talk-throughs, explaining left hand efficiencies and right hand picking.  For more information or to order the lesson, go to www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section. Thanks, and I hope you'll take advantage of this opportunity to learn a song by one of the unfairly obscure Country Blues greats.
All best,
John

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: Papa Eggshell's "Goin' Up the Country, Part 2, SotM lesson, October, 2018
« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2018, 06:57:08 AM »
Hi all,
This is just a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson I'm offering at my website for October, 2018 is on Papa Eggshell's "Goin' Up The Country, Part 2", which you can listen to on the post immediately prior to this one in this thread.  For more information, or to order the lesson, go to www.johnmillerguitar.com, in the Teaching section.  Thanks.
All best,
Johnm

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Song of the Month lesson, November, 2018: "Bull Cow Blues" by Big Bill Broonzy
« Reply #147 on: November 02, 2018, 06:38:04 AM »
Hi all,
I wanted to let you know that the Song of the Month lesson I'm offering at my website for November, 2018 is on "Bull Cow Blues", as recorded by Big Bill Broonzy in 1932.  It is played in G position in standard tuning and captures Big Bill's playing at the top of his game, with lots of great licks and syncopations in the bass.  Here is his performance:

For the month of November, 2018 only, I am offering a lesson on "Bull Cow Blues" that includes his intro and verse one and two accompaniments for $35.00, for which you'll receive a TAB transcription and very thorough talk-throughs detailing the most efficient fingering and picking.  For more information or to order the lesson, go to my website, www.johnmillerguitar.com and look in the "Teaching" section and you'll find information on how to order the lesson. Thanks.
All best,
Johnm

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: "Bull Cow Blues", November Song of the Month lesson
« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2018, 06:04:35 AM »
Hi all,
This is just a mid-month reminder that the Song of the Month lesson for November at my website is Big Bill Broonzy's "Bull Cow Blues", which you can listen to at the post immediately prior to this one in this thread.  Cost of the lesson, during the month of November only, is $35.00, for which you receive a transcription of Big Bill's intro and verse one and two accompaniments and very thorough talk-throughs.  Go to www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section, to find out how to order the lesson.  Thanks, and I hope folks will be interested in this tune that paved the way for Buddy Moss's great 1934 solo sessions.
All best,
Johnm

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
December Songs of the Month lessons: "Pocahontas" and "What Child Is This?"
« Reply #149 on: December 01, 2018, 09:49:28 AM »
Hi all,
I'm offering two Song of the Month lessons at my website for December, 2018.  The first is "Pocahontas", an exciting, slippery sort of instrumental by Bill Williams, that appeared on his first Blue Goose album, "Low And Lonesome".  Here it is:

The second song I'm offering is a Jazz waltz re-harmonization arrangement I did of "What Child Is This?" which I'll attach to this message for anyone who might be interested.  Each lesson is available during the month of December only for $35.00.  For more information, or to order either or both of the lessons, go to my website at www.johnmillerguitar.com , in the Teaching section.  Thanks.
All best,
Johnm

Tags: John Miller 2017 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal