collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I just reach up and pull them out of the sky - call them sky songs - they just come to me - Bukka White

Author Topic: BANJO tab  (Read 802 times)

Offline big joe weems

• Howdy!
BANJO tab
« on: May 11, 2017, 05:34:01 PM »
Hello,

Could anyone tell me where to find some really good tablature for banjo? If it's anything like guitar tab, the internet is full of mostly horrible and worthless tab. I'd like to learn some instrumentals on banjo, such as "Foggy Mountain Breakdown." Any books or other sources with quality tab would be appreciated!  Thanks.

Joe

Offline frailer24

• Good Mornin', Judge
Re: BANJO tab
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 06:12:20 PM »
My best advice is picking up the Earl Scruggs instruction book. Great stuff there!
That's all she wrote Mabel!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 06:47:39 PM »
Hi Big Joe,
In addition to the Earl Scruggs book Larry recommended, I'd recommend going to amazon.com and doing a search under books for Tony Trischka.  He has done a number of banjo books, and he is a great player and teacher.
all best,
Johnm

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 08:40:37 AM »
I'd also recommend checking out Banjo Hangout, www.banjohangout.org. There's a lot of chaff among the wheat there, but some excellent advice and resources as well.
Chris

Offline big joe weems

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 05:23:56 PM »
Thanks for the great tips Larry, John & Chris! Much appreciated!

Joe

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 05:47:57 PM »
You might also check out Alan Munde. He has written out TAB for many of the songs he's played. I only have experience with his "Poor Richard's Almanac" TAB, but that was 40+ years ago when I was fooling around with the banjo. However, since Alan did the TAB for his own solos, my guess is that his transcriptions are accurate.

I'll second John's recommendation for Tony Trischka--an incredibly creative and inventive player, as John knows firsthand.

Offline big joe weems

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 08:43:44 AM »
Thanks Stuart!

Joe

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal