collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Now some people don't understand. They think a blues player has to be worried, troubled to sing the blues. That's wrong. I'll put it this way; there's a doctor, he has medicine. He's never, sick, he ain't sick, but he has stuff for the sick people. So the blues player, he ain't worried and bothered, but he's got something for the worried people. Doctor . . . you can see his medicine, you can see his patient. Blues . . . you can't see the music you can't see the patient because it's soul. So I works on the soul, and the doctor works on the body - Roosevelt Sykes, spoken on Smithsonian/Folkways Classic Blues anthology

Author Topic: Ike Zimmerman  (Read 9050 times)

Offline btasoundsradio

• the artist formerly known as powerlinehorizon
    • BTA Sounds Radio: Podcast of Obscure Musics
Re: Ike Zimmerman
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2012, 07:53:24 PM »
http://arts.state.al.us/actc/1/20110724zimmerman.mp3
Interview with Ike Zimmerman's daughters...
Charlie is the Father, Son is the Son, Willie is the Holy Ghost

Offline crawlinkingsnake

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2012, 08:18:19 AM »
We all can 'cuss or discuss all we want about Robert Johnson, Clapton, Crossroads or Pep. But we all need to be reminded that the REAL King of the Delta Blues, goin' down to the crossroads guy, well before "Robert" Johnson was TOMMY JOHNSON.
That be the same T.J. that still ain't got no head stone on his grave just outside Crystal Springs, MS. Even thought his niece Vera Johnson-Collins, the Mt Zion Memorial Fund, Tyler Moore, Representative Greg Holloway and many others have been working to see it gets done.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2012, 10:05:19 AM »
Nominating someone 'King of...' something is just a marketing tool. It adds little value, in fact the opposite is usually true, since it detracts from everybody else and sends new, interested, inquiring minds off in a limited direction. There is no King, Queen or any other honorific to be bestowed on one artist in a whole category of music, unless it's a marketer trying to sell product.

It just occurred to me that I've never heard anyone refer to Kandinski as 'The King of Expressionist Painting', and if they did they'd rightly end up in an infinite argument with art lovers and historians. In music though it's a long-established mass marketing ploy, people wind up believing it, and it enters the collective subconscious. I assume this is because collecting music is cheap (and therefore prone to mass marketing) and art is not.

Maybe Bessie Smith was the first to be crowned in this way. She was great, so were all the other Queens and Kings, Elvis too, but it's still just an unimaginative marketer's ploy designed to grab the mainstream audience and sell tickets and records. It does work so there's no real disincentive to not hype people if they are half decent at what they do. This is all just must my opinion.

I very much doubt that weeniecambell.com collectively would ever crown anybody king or queen of anything, we'd have very little left to talk about.  :P
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:34:54 AM by Rivers »

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2012, 11:13:16 AM »
I very much doubt that weeniecambell.com collectively would ever crown anybody king or queen of anything

Well, except for Slack.  Didn't we make him the Server King of El Paso or something like that?   :D 

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2012, 12:34:21 PM »
Hey man, I'm King of the World! 

But I've got to recover from Port Townsend first...

:P

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2012, 06:23:17 PM »
Fortunately, based on previous years' experience, I had the uncharacteristically good sense to take an extra two days vacation to decompress. I need it.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2012, 06:36:12 PM »
Two days!  Why didn't I think of that, I only took 1!

Offline oversee

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2012, 10:20:20 AM »
Hopefully a lot more facts about Ike Zimmerman/Zinnerman will be revealed, when Prof. Bruce Conforth publishes his complete findings.

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2012, 10:52:57 AM »
Hopefully a lot more facts about Ike Zimmerman/Zinnerman will be revealed, when Prof. Bruce Conforth publishes his complete findings.
Following on from the article cited here, perhaps? Does anyone have a copy, by any chance? I'd really like to read this. Or is Prof. Conforth about to publish a book? In which case, I can (just about) wait.
(Modified to correct typo.)

Tags: Ike Zimmerman 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal