collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The only definition of 'broadcast' in 1901 was 'to sow seeds.' This is still my favorite metaphor for public radio - Bill Siemerling, 2003

Author Topic: Walking My Troubles Away  (Read 4278 times)

Offline thumbstyle

Walking My Troubles Away
« on: April 29, 2004, 11:23:41 PM »
Well, this looks like fun, so I'll give it a try. I've taken some, uh, liberties with the tempo and arrangement of this Blind Boy Fuller tune.

It's funny how we take all this sophistimacated digital recording gear, record our song, MP3 encode it to a small file, and it sounds... pretty much like an old 78!

Dave

Offline thumbstyle

Re: Walking My Troubles Away
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2004, 11:26:12 PM »
Whoops, I thought I attached it...

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 08:20:34 AM »
Davebro! Sounding great, Dave. One of my favorite Fuller tunes (and I have a lot of them). A few seconds into the vocal and I was on the porch at Fort Worden, and I was thinking what a drag it will be that we'll be missing you at PT this year. Doesn't that family of yours have any scheduling sense?  ;D

Offline Reso1

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 03:01:57 PM »
Dave:

Great job! I'd like to learn this tune too! Hey what mic did you use for your vocals? You recording with 1 or 2 mics?

Thanks,

Lee
I must say that I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the  library and read a book.

-Groucho Marx

EddieSOOO28GE

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 05:56:17 PM »
 ;D Sounds good to me . Have you tried it at a quicker tempo ?

Eddie

Offline thumbstyle

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 09:58:04 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I've been getting a kick out of listening to y'alls new tunes, and listening again to the old ones.

Lee,

I used a CAD M9 for the vocal, and 2 Neumann KM184s (in an XY pattern) on the git-fiddle. I'm still getting the hang of how to capture guitar and voice when doing both at once (bleed and phase problems), but I'm pretty happy with how this came out.

Eddie,

I picked a slower tempo on purpose, because I was going for more of a slow piano-blues feel. Maybe I went too far with the slow thing?   ::) Not sure if I can *play* it much faster, but there's always the magic of digital editing!

Uncle Bud,

Good to be in touch with you! Will you be at the presoak this year? With any luck, I'll be able to stop in for a few days of front porch action...

Dave

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 01:43:02 PM »

Uncle Bud,

Good to be in touch with you! Will you be at the presoak this year? With any luck, I'll be able to stop in for a few days of front porch action...

Yes, I'll be there. Hope you do stop in for a few days as it will be great to see you again. And remember BC sure isn't far. You could commute to the reunion!  :D

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2004, 07:44:47 PM »
Hi Dave - sounds great!  I like the slow pacing, and the break that you worked out...  Tasty!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 06:07:17 PM »
Hey Davebro! - sounds great!  I like the slow relaxed pace also - really good job on the break, got that Davebro twist.

It's funny how we take all this sophistimacated digital recording gear, record our song, MP3 encode it to a small file, and it sounds... pretty much like an old 78!

Yeah, and you take this to the nth degree - hunert dollar recording studio to make a 2 bit mp3. :P You need to add in a few pops and hisses...

Good to hear from you - glad to hear that you will at least drop by for the pre-soak!

cheers,
slack

Offline thumbstyle

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004, 12:18:26 AM »
Hi Dave - sounds great!? I like the slow pacing, and the break that you worked out...? Tasty!

Thank-ye, Frankie.? :D? I'd still like to improve my performance on the tune (when does that end?), but I am a little proud of that break!

Been enjoying your posted tunes. You're pretty modest about the recordings ("I did this while brushing my teeth this morning."), but the quality of the performances is impressive. You deep, man.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 12:26:49 AM by waxwing »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2004, 11:55:43 PM »
Hi Dave,
Just downloaded and listened to "Walking My Troubles Away"--you really did a nice job on it.  I like the slower tempo and "heavy time"; makes it sound more like Clifford Gibson's "Keep Your Windows Pinned".  The vocal sounds good too, and I especially like the pitch on the word "glad" in the chorus, that sweet major seven note instead of the bluesy flat seven.  Way to go!
All best,
Johnm

Offline thumbstyle

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2004, 05:27:14 PM »
Thanks, John (and everyone), I appreciate the kind words -- gives me motivation to keep at it and improve!

I'll keep an eye out for Clifford Gibson, I don't know his music.

that sweet major seven note instead of the bluesy flat seven.

Well, this had me picking out the melody on my guitar and paying attention to the scale degrees! I gotta ask - can you listen to the tune and automatically "hear" the major seven? Or do you hear something unusual and work out what scale degree it is? I'm guessing the first.

Best,
Dave
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 12:27:38 AM by waxwing »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2004, 03:52:53 PM »
Hi Dave,
It wasn't so much that I heard you sing it and said, "Oh I like that major 7 note Dave's singing on the word "glad"."  It was more like, "I like the note Dave is singing on the word "glad".  What is it?  Oh, it's a major seven note."
I think it is good to be cognizant of these things, especially when you solo, because you can often get a really special sound by choosing the very note that is going to sound great in a particular context.  Miles Davis was a master of this.  I wish I could say I'm always aware of it, but my attention goes in and out.  I reckon there is something to be said for being more intuitive, too.
All best,
John

Offline markm

• Mark McDonald Blues
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2004, 10:11:05 AM »
Fantastic job on that tune Dave!  I love the tempo, it is so relaxed.  And your voice is very authentic.  Great job all the way around.

I look forward to seeing you in PT this year.  I can't thank you enough for all
the help with gear transportation last year.  You're the best.

Are you going to lay down some more tracks?  If you do put them down on a CD. I would sure like one.

Mark

Offline Frosty Morn

• Howdy!
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 06:49:01 AM »
Rather late to this thread, but I just found Dave's recording of Walking My Troubles Away.  I'd like to also say: nice job!  I like the relaxed tempo, the Maj7, the picking, the singing, the recording... all around, well done!  I don't mind my reply bumping this topic up after 3 years, new folks to the  forum (like me) might enjoy hearing this.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal