collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The poor are getting poorer. The rich are getting rich. If I don't starve I'm a son of a gun - David McCarn, Cotton Mill Colic

Author Topic: Amplification  (Read 1946 times)

Offline Bluesygirl

• I've Fallen And I Can't Reach My Guitar
Amplification
« on: January 29, 2005, 12:39:41 PM »
What are the opinions here about modifying an acoustic guitar with a pick-up? Do you guys prefer to play your blues "naturally", like the old masters did? Have you modified any of your acoustics to be able to play amplified? If so, are there certain of your guitars (i.e., vintage ones) that you'd never modify? Also, what type of pick-ups have you considered?  Just wondering. Bg

Offline Montgomery

• Howdy!
Re: Amplification
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 01:53:18 PM »
I would never modify a vintage guitar so that it could be amped, but no harm in putting a pick-up on there....however, I personally absolutely hate the sound of an electric-acoustic, but it's necessary for certain live scenarios.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 03:02:53 PM »
I'm really not keen on putting any electronics in any of my vintage guitars, either, altho' I get advised to do so by frustrated sound guys from time to time, I think I really just need to get some good mics to be able to hand to them. I do have a '60s era DeArmond pup on my '63 Gibson B-25, but I just run the wire out the sound hole. Gets that Lightnin' Hopkins sound alright, but doesn't really sound like an acoustic guitar.
If you really want to get some responses to a guery about amplification, try over at the IGS forum, It's titled an acoustic guitar forum but much of the discussion is about pickups and amps and such.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Bluesygirl

• I've Fallen And I Can't Reach My Guitar
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 06:32:45 PM »
I was just wondering what the Weenie Campbell folks like to do given the genre of music and guitar preferences. Not so much interested in looking for advice personally.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 07:27:36 PM »
Hi BG,

I rarely amplify my guitar but when I play at an annual friends and family gathering I use a small keyboard amp and a Sure SM57 microphone - works well with both a wood guitar and a resonator... and it sounds more natural to me than the built in pickup in the resonator. 

It just depends on what you want to do... folks that play out often I'm sure have experimented with lots of setups.  I will ocassionally amplify in order to hear myself better - it is different and often helpful with an amp pointed at you.  (I three, would not modify a vintage guitar for a pickup.)

Cheers,
slack

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal