collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It costs too much to live, but I guess I'd better try. The undertaker's got a union, and it costs too much to die - Anon., The High Cost of Livin'

Author Topic: David "Honeyboy" Edwards Lyrics  (Read 2392 times)

dang

David "Honeyboy" Edwards Lyrics
« on: December 15, 2006, 04:03:31 PM »
I was looking for lyrics to Pony Blues and came across a verse in a version by David "Honeyboy" Edwards that goes:

Buy me a yellow hen, already dressed
    Lord I'm gonna buy a yelly, Baby already dressed
    Buy me a yellow hen, Baby already dressed

Now it seems to me that the last line should have been different, and I get the feeling that Honeyboy just forgot the last line and repeated the first.  I haven't seen anything like this verse in any other versions of this song and I was wondering if anyone knows what the last line should have been.

Dan G.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 09:31:18 AM by Johnm »

Offline eltripp

• Howdy!
Re: David "Honeyboy" Edwards - Pony Blues
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 01:49:13 PM »
Hello,

I'm wondering if you still have the entire lyrics for Honeyboy Edwards' version of Pony Blues? Or remember where you found it? These lyrics have been really difficult to track down on the internet. This is the closest I've found.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: David "Honeyboy" Edwards - Pony Blues
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 05:00:10 PM »
Hi eltripp,
Welcome to Weenie Campbell!  Protocol around here is for folks requesting lyrics to post what they have thus far, and then folks who are familiar with the recording can pitch in to the extent they're able to help.  What do you have so far?
All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: David "Honeyboy" Edwards Lyrics
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 09:50:55 AM »
Hi all,
I was recently hired to do a transcription and lesson on David "Honeyboy" Edwards' Library of Congress version of "Spread My Raincoat Down", recorded in the early 1940s. Honeyboy accompanied himself out of E position in standard tuning for his rendition of the song. I had never figured out a song by Honeyboy before and was interested in what I found. His playing was simultaneously very technical, as you will hear, and really country, in that he appeared to have no idea of the blues as having a form that maintained throughout the song, but rather he assembled licks and phrases as they suited him. And it's not that Honeyboy's playing is incoherent--I think it's more  that the coherence of what he's doing and his understanding of it is peculiar to himself, and is not an understanding commonly shared and employed by other players in the style. In that respect, he reminds me of the pianist Turner Parrish, who recorded a piece called "The Trenches" that shared many of those same qualities.  To give Honeyboy his due, his playing here is really accomplished and exciting--original as well, for a number of moves he utilizes in this song I'd not encountered before. And his thumb-lead playing on his solos, up the neck in the IV chord is spectacular--whew!  Here is "Spread My Raincoat Down":

INTRO

I'm goin' to Dallas, I'm goin' to Dallas, please spread my raincoat down, I'm goin' to
Dallas, I'm goin' to Dallas, please spread my raincoat down

The woman I love, the woman I love, Lord, she don't stay fur [sic] from me
Lord, she's three times seven and she know what she want to do

I'm goin' to Dallas, I'm goin' to Dallas, please spread my raincoat down
Lord, the woman I love, Lord, she can't be turned around

SOLO

I'm go and hunt 'er, I'm go and hunt 'er, I'm gonna shoot with my long old .45
Lord, I'm gon' kill that woman, just to see that black woman die

SOLO

I know my baby, if I sees her in the dark
Lord, I know my dog, don't care where I hear him bark

CODA