collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I don't sit here and dream because I don't care about the future. I wouldn't take nothin' for my past and I've got enough behind me that I can write forever - Brownie McGhee

Author Topic: John Jackson - thoughts? memories?  (Read 4835 times)

Offline Lwoodblues

• Living the Blues
Re: John Jackson - thoughts? memories?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 04:28:03 PM »
   I have neglected to write a response on this subject for a long time. I had to find the right words. John was the nicest person I have ever met. After the first two PTCBW's that I studied with him, I just went to listen. He was a massive talent who did not reflect it in his attitude. Very humble.
   I had many a conversation with him, many on the front porch of the schoolhouse about life, the blues and just shooting the breeze. He told me that "country blues" was the bottom of the food chain, yet probably the hardest to play.
He once mentioned how "soft" one of my guitar straps was so when Ron Phillips handed him a new resonator, I had to give him a new "soft" strap.
He and Trish both asked me to come stay at their homes in Va and just hang-out. I would have loved to do that, however, he left us too soon. I still have a memorial candle in my living room for him.
   He was The absolute most accomplished songster I have ever met. I miss him to this day.
lwood

Offline Bed Bug Bill

• Howdy!
John Jackson
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 04:39:39 PM »
By the time I came around,most of the old guys were dead.A friend of mine had John's records,so I heard them often,they were good, but didn't really get me.Then I saw him live and met him. He was a lovely man,he really was,had time for everyone,was always polite,even when asked the most ridiculous questions.Saw him a couple more times,always a good evening,always friendly.The last time I saw him,was expecting the same good time,but he was tremendous,much better than the albums,much better than the previous times.
I rushed to him after the show and gabbled something like ..John, I never knew you could play like that..and he smiled and said, that he had felt like really playing.
Always wondered,if anyone else,had seen him often,and had a similar experience,or did anyone know him well
and see that sometimes his timing and touch were much better than usual.
This last time,I really had the sense that I was seeing something special,and was seeing the last of the tradition,Blake ,Fuller ,Moss etc.......his playing had a completely different feel,and swing.
I've heard nothing on film or record with the same feel.Maybe he didn't like recording...anybody know.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 06:40:51 PM »
Hi all,
I merged Bedbug Bill's new post with a pre-existing thread that dealt with John Jackson and memories of him.
All best,
Johnm

Offline crawlinkingsnake

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2014, 09:45:44 AM »
I met John at River City Blues Fest in Marietta, OH a couple years before his passing. Like you, I made certain I got to talk with him afterwards. Wonderful and friendly person. As we began to compare notes we realized we had common acquaintances in the Hardy County, WV - Rockingham County, VA area.

Even though I've never made it yet. Been wanting to get to the John Jackson (Tinner Hill) Blues Festival. Held each June in Falls Church, VA

Offline ArthurBlake

• I laid him out cold, with his heels in a tub.
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 04:17:31 AM »
Gee how much I envy you Americans who are old enough to have actually known real Country Bluesmen (although I prefer the title Downhome Blues or maybe just REAL blues) and/or to have seen them play live. Myself the only one close to that I have met and chatted with and seen play is John Hammond Jr. (admittedly a great player and bluesman in his own right). Other than that I have been within 4 feet of B.B. King and Buddy Guy but that's the sum total. I wish I had met a few of the old timers like many of you have. I love Jackson's music too and love the way he helped keep Blind Blake's music and Piedmont blues alive by playing that stuff. The closest I will ever get to him is that video of the house party with him in it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 04:18:37 AM by ArthurBlake »
I met a woman she was a pigmeat some
Big fat mouth, I followed her home
She pulled a gun and broke my jaw
Didnt leave me hard on, I didnt get sore

Offline RB

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 04:13:21 PM »
I don't have anything much to add but you might be interested in my one vague memory of John Jackson as it dates way before the time periods that most of you are noting, in that it was--though I can't be sure of the date at this point--sometime around 1969 or 1970 that he performed in a classroom of the University of Pennsylvania, where I was attending, for a group of about twenty people, introduced by Chuck Perdue.

I've already mentioned I think--this is a sidelight--that I also attended a similar classroom concert given by Roscoe Holcomb, about that same time maybe a year or so later, with about the same amount of people in attendance.  Holcomb was in traduced by John Cohen, I think, and I was quite impressed with his music.

Only about 40 to 45 years ago, hey.

Tags: John Jackson 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal