collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
My guitar was loud as hell, and I had no sympathy for anybody else - Brownie McGhee

Author Topic: John Miller Concert Wish  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
John Miller Concert Wish
« on: April 06, 2020, 06:04:56 PM »
Hi all.

Since the closure of all live music venues many musicians have reverted to do online concerts on social media and internet, I just saw a nice home concert from Mary Flower.

I was wondering if our own John Miller could be persuaded to do one, and if it could maybe somehow be done or shared here at the Weenie Campbell site?

Anyway, I would be very happy to see and share a concert from John, so I'll just toss the idea for consideration for the forum and John. Let me know, what you think, and of course if John himself would be interested to doing such a thing.

Cheers,

Pan

« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 03:09:27 PM by Pan »

Offline Kevinp

• Howdy!
Re: John Miller Concert Wish
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 06:42:16 PM »
I would be interested in watching if John is interested.  Either way, If you are interested, I strongly recommend taking a lesson or two with John. I feel like I get a mini concert each lesson.  That's on top of the great teaching.

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 02:56:25 AM »
A good idea!

Offline iantonionni

• Shw'mae!
    • The Bay Rum Hounds on Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 05:56:16 AM »
Count me in!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 06:43:08 AM »
Thanks for the idea of me doing a concert, Pan, and to those of you who support it.  I'm certainly open to the idea, but don't have any sense of how to go about doing such a thing in the current situation.  If I might make a suggestion, rather than discussing or planning it on a public board it might be preferable for someone with the tech/filming/teleconferencing know-how to communicate to me via personal messages how such an event might be put together.  It seems like this should be possible.  And I hope you're all staying careful, safe and healthy.
All best,
Johnm 

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 09:18:08 AM »
I don't know about the tech. aspects, but donations via Paypal works well, I have donated that way a couple of times lately.

Alex

Offline matt milton

• Howdy!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 01:24:25 AM »
I think 'Facebook Live' is the easiest way to do this:
https://www.facebook.com/facebookmedia/solutions/facebook-live

John: I don't know if you are already on Facebook but if you are, 'going live' should be very easy for you. If your computer has a built in camera then it should not be a problem. There are quite a few YouTube tutorials on setting up a Facebook live event.

They work even better if you can enlist a partner to read any comments or questions posted up while you play - that way it can almost become a 'Q&A' - people can post requests or ask questions. I find those are the most enjoyable. You could do that all on your own of course, only it would mean a lot of multi-tasking for someone new to all this.

If you have a PayPal account you can post details of that in the main body of the Facebook post, and remind people of this verbally from time to time during the gig.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 02:50:38 PM »
Hi all,
I realize Pan started this thread months ago, but it is finally coming to fruition. The Trumansburg (NY) Conservatory of the Fine Arts approached me about doing an on-line concert with their sponsorship. The concert is scheduled for Saturday, September 19, from 7:00PM--8:00 PM, Eastern Daylight Time (U.S. time zones), running an hour earlier in each of the U.S. time zones as you head west, so starting at 4:00 PM where I live. The concert will be on my youtube channel, which I had to set up, with a great deal of assistance, in order to do the concert. I realize that the time is tough on European Weenies, with the show starting at midnight in the U.K., for example. There won't be any price of admission for the show, but I will gladly encourage and accept tips, and will provide a means for doing that at the show itself. I'll post a link to the show as the date approaches. Thanks for the encouragement, and I look forward to doing more of these in the future. But first, I've got to do this one!
All best,
Johnm 

Offline eric

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 05:09:01 PM »
It's on my calendar!
--
Eric

Offline joe paul

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 02:46:19 AM »
Great, looking forward to it.
One in the morning for us in France then, ouch!

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 03:01:43 PM »
Great news, looking forward to this!

Cheers,

Pan

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 03:18:34 PM »
Hi Eric, Gordon and Pan,
Sorry about when it falls in your time zone, Pan, and in yours, Gordon--it's kind of brutal. I'm glad it's more humane for you, Eric. I think in the future, if and when I do such concerts, I might schedule them for 9:00 AM my time, which would make the show 5:00 PM in the UK, 6:00 PM in France, and either 7:00 or 8:00 PM in Berlin. I'm a morning person, so that wouldn't pose a hardship for me. But thanks for your interest, and I will really try to make it worth the interrupted night of sleep for those of you in Europe.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 03:40:38 PM »
John: You  should check to see if you can record your live concert (in real time) and leave it up on YouTube. Doing so would accommodate those in far off distant lands. There are many "shows" that are broadcast live on YT and then made available for later viewing.

Another idea would be to also record the audio in studio quality sound if possible (or "live in concert" sound) and then if you feel that there are a sufficient number of "keepers," make them available as a digital LP (or EP) on Bandcamp. It might generate a few extra nickles. 

Naturally, this involves the hassles and headaches of figuring this stuff out the first time through, but lesser mortals have been successful in their attempts.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 04:19:01 PM by Stuart »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 08:08:37 AM »
What you propose, Stuart, might work for future self-sponsored concerts, but this concert is not sponsored by me, despite being on my youtube channel, and so is not mine to control after the event. Plus I have enough on my plate without doing all of that for this show. Thanks for telling me what I should do, though.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2020, 12:18:25 PM »
Hi John: Thanks for the reply. They were suggestions and not edicts from on high--sorry if they came off that way. I was thinking more from a fan's and audience member's point of view, but with your perspective in mind. Somewhat along the lines of attending a concert at, say, Kenyon Hall, picking up a CD at the show, etc. --And if I couldn't make it to the show, being able to watch it later on YouTube, but knowing that a contribution would be appreciated. In other words, it would be a virtual, online approximation of what I've experienced as an audience member and you have as a performer. 

I wasn't aware of any limits that sponsorship placed on the concert. My apologies. And of course, there are only 24 hours in a day, so with an already busy schedule, doing something along these lines just puts another brick on the load.

But as you say, maybe in the future.

My Best,

Stuart

Tags: John Miller 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal