collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Some screaming, some cursing... some have lost their minds - Sam Montgomery, Blue Devil Blues

Author Topic: Hard Time Blues  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Hard Time Blues
« on: July 15, 2005, 05:00:48 AM »
By Scrapper Blackwell

This is the result of spending 1/2 July at a workshop with Woody Mann  ;)  Woody taught an instrumental he calls Bluedaze, based on Scrapper's licks, so this week I spent some time with the Scrapper CD and worked this out .

Recorded directly into Audacity with a condenser mic, using Martin D-1 and then overlaid a bit of slide afterwards on my new Resound Tricone.

If anyone has any tips as to how to get better quality MP3s which still get under 800k I'd love to hear them- I always lose a noticeable amount of quality when I export these files at a low bit rate to get them under the limit  :(  Of course, I could just sing shorter songs....

Offline a2tom

• stickman's got 'em
Re: Hard Time Blues
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 01:51:37 PM »
funky, slim.  Interesting with the overlaid "descant" slide reso.  The sound combination is good, although sometimes I find them to clash rhythmically a bit - not jiving in time completely.  I've never done it, but I'm guessing that overdubbing is hard to do (although I suppose why should it be any harder than just playing a duet - but that itself isn't easy...).  It isn't like this is a bad problem, just thinking about the challenge of trying to multi-track.

BTW, you know for the porch your MP3 sound quality is fine.  It'd be pretty thin (like any of these super compressos) if I cranked it on my Infinities, but on my little computer speakers its about all I'm gonna get anyway.

keep wailin'

tom

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 10:15:55 AM »
Thanks a2tom.  I'm fairly new to slide and am still finding my way.  Probably running before I walk trying to overdub it!

I've edited the file and attached a version without the slide (leaving in just the solo towards the end).

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 02:59:52 PM »
I prefer the second version and as I recall, you'll be at the EBA soireeeeee so I think you ought to do it there  8) - I expect Phil's Boogie Boys could even back you  ;D
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal