collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I heard them bring that old Iron Curtain down on me - Sleepy John Estes visits eastern Europe, The Voice of the Blues

Author Topic: Blues of St. Louis  (Read 15452 times)

Offline eric

Re: Blues of St. Louis
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2020, 06:26:53 AM »
JohnM, I believe this may be the St Louis player you mentioned, Joe Stone. I'm not sure why John Hurt's in the photo.

--
Eric

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2020, 06:35:26 AM »
Yes, that is him, Eric.  He had only two titles, I think, with the other one being "Back Door Blues".  For years, some people have been contending he was Jaydee Short, recording under a pseudonym. 
All best,
Johnm

Offline alyoung

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2020, 03:27:09 AM »
Yes, that is him, Eric.  He had only two titles, I think, with the other one being "Back Door Blues".  For years, some people have been contending he was Jaydee Short, recording under a pseudonym. 
All best,
Johnm

I think that contention is a little more widespread than you imply, John. On what basis do you challenge it. (BTW, I don't have a dog in this race -- I'm just interested.)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 03:35:56 AM by alyoung »

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2020, 07:49:21 AM »
There's an earlier discussion on Joe Stone/J.D. Short found here:

https://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=6663.0

Jeff

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2020, 07:49:43 AM »
I would say, Al, that the guitar player on "Hard Times" (and even more so on "Back Door Blues") is faster and far more technical, especially in the right hand, than Jaydee Short was on any of his early titles that he recorded played in E in standard tuning.  Moreover, the singing does not sound like Jaydee, who in that period sang with a fast vibrato, almost a tremolo.  The singing on the Joe Stone cuts is much more diffident than the singing on Jaydee's recordings, where he just blasts. 
As a contrast, compare the R. T. Hanen cuts, which have also been attributed to Jaydee, as a vocalist.  To me, the R. T. Hanen cuts do sound like Jaydee, whereas the Joe Stone cuts do not.  I don't mean to downgrade Jaydee's playing in any way, he's one of my favorites of that era, but he never played anything recorded under his own name that was anywhere near as technical as "Hard Times" or "Back Door Blues".
All best,
Johnm 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal