collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
It was just before I went into the army about 40, 42 I think, I heard of a guy called T-Bone Walker and that was the first electric guitar I'd ever heard... and I went crazy, I went completely nutty... I think that he had the clearest touch of anybody I'd ever heard on guitar then - B.B King on T-Bone Walker, from Giles Oakley's The Devil's Music, BBC

Author Topic: Tarheel Slim--No Time At All, Trix 3310  (Read 5986 times)

Offline jpeters609

Re: Tarheel Slim--No Time At All, Trix 3310
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2009, 11:56:16 AM »
Thanks, Peter. I shoulda known it was Jimmy Spruill. Wild Jimmy was quite an electric guitarist, to be sure. And like Mickey Baker (not to mention the great Grady Martin), his work can be heard on a lot of records recorded by others in the 50s and 60s. There was a collection of Wild Jimmy Spruill's recordings that came out on CD last year. I think it was called "Scratch 'n' Twist." But unfortunately it doesn't include the songs with Tarheel Slim (or Wilbert Harrison's "Kansas City," which features a fine solo by Spruill).
Jeff

Offline oddenda

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 06:50:55 PM »
For those interested, Spruill played with thumb and fore-finger with NO picks. He also used no effects other than his amp and his guitar controls. This I know from personal experience. "Brilliant" is not full-on enough to describe Jimmy. The third "NY Fenderman" was Joe Richardson (a/ka Fender Guitar Slim, a.o.) - all did marvelous studio work in the late fifties/sixties.

Peter B.

Offline David Kaatz

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 08:28:40 PM »

By the way, my brother Al had and may still have an unusual instrumental 45 of Slim playing an open tuning piece that I once learned and unfortunately have since forgotten. 

Dave
MP3 available:
http://mississippimoan.blogspot.com/2010/08/tarheel-slim-no-time-at-all-1974.html
Quoting myself twice...
Now listening to what I downloaded from above link earlier.  Great sounding album.  This set definitely contains the '45 sides I mentioned.  No Time At All is one of the tunes I was thinking of.  I once played this, it has been so long it is probably going to be a total relearning.  I'll have to get to it!

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal