Country Blues > Weenie Campbell Main Forum

When Rev. Robert Wilkins Played the Blues

(1/3) > >>

jasobr:
Today's post in my Talking Guitar online magazine takes a journey back in time to the 1920s, when Rev. Robert Wilkins recorded hard-hitting country blues in Memphis. (The Rolling Stones released a cover version of his "That's No Way to Get Along," retitled "Prodigal Son," on 1968's Beggars Banquet album.) This free-for-all article first appeared as my "Let It Roll! The Essential Blues Sessions" column in Living Blues #269. I've embedded lots of musical samples, and I hope you enjoy it!

https://jasobrecht.substack.com/p/when-rev-robert-wilkins-played-the

rein:
I love Robert Wilkins music and I l enjoyed this post, but what I missed is that Rev, John Wilkins sadly died of Covid in october 2020.

MarkC:
Thanks for this Jas. I always enjoy reading your work. 

The Rolling Stones cover of “Prodigal Son” (along with their version of Robert Johnson’s  “Love in Vain”) first sparked my interest in country blues, well before I knew what country blues were. I’ve known Wilkins’ original “That’s No Way to Get Along” for many years, but I first heard Wilkins’ 1964 version just a couple of years ago. The 1964 recordings were reissued on the Bear label. Here’s “Prodigal Son” from that album, in case anyone missed the link in your article. It really shouldn’t be missed:

jasobr:

--- Quote from: rein on December 01, 2022, 12:24:06 PM ---I love Robert Wilkins music and I l enjoyed this post, but what I missed is that Rev, John Wilkins sadly died of Covid in october 2020.

--- End quote ---

Rein -- Thank you for the heads-up! I've rewritten the ending to reflect this info.

MarkC:
I just listened to the live 1964 version of Prodigal Son at Newport. That is great.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version