collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
At the M&F Grocery and Market the aisles are so big that two shopping carts can pass each other and never bump into each other. And everything in the store has a price on it. You don't have to worry about what it costs because the price is right there on it - Early Wright, obituary to the DJ, WROX Clarksdale

Author Topic: You can Say That Again - Quote Drive 2009  (Read 15842 times)

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
Re: You can Say That Again - Quote Drive 2009
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2009, 03:45:09 PM »
"Everywhere I go, people know who I am, but I don't know who they are."
   Bluesman Jack Owens, at Port Townsend

All best,
Johnm

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2009, 03:52:27 PM »
"Play it right, if it takes all night!"
   Harmonica player Bud Spires, at Port Townsend

All best,
Johnm

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2009, 06:42:29 AM »
She specialized in low-down blues "because they didn't come up to Harlem to go to church." - Ethel Waters on singing ungodly raw songs for her audience, Nobody Know Where the Blues Come From

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2009, 10:41:58 AM »
Thanks to JohnM for this one:

Mandolin is an Italian word meaning "out of tune". - Tim O'Brien

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2009, 03:44:26 PM »
Hi all,
Lest any mandolin lovers unfamiliar with Tim O'Brien should take his comment on the mandolin ill, I should probably point out that Tim is a great mandolin player and was, in fact, playing the mandolin, or rather, tuning one in between songs, when he made the statement quoted in the previous post.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2009, 05:24:22 PM »

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2009, 05:38:05 PM »
"A skilled trade would mean more to me than a guitar. Some of these guys think they're pretty cute because they can play a guitar, but singing blues and playing a guitar is like molding in a factory except that its less dependable."

Guitar Pete Franklin

from liner notes of "The Blues of Guitar Pete Franklin" Bluesville 1068, Indianapolis 1961

My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2009, 05:50:44 PM »
"Wouldn't you know that fellow'd get get somewhere like that. He came into Greenville when I was home on leave and he gives a dance, There were posters up and everything about him being Blind Boy number two. The people there wouldn't let me go until I got and played a number and the last time I saw Brownie after I played my number was him walking out the door and going to catch a bus out of town."

Baby Tate speaking of Brownie McGhee. Liner notes from "The Blues of Baby Tate , see what you done done"
Bluesville # 1072

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2009, 05:56:45 PM »
Those are some great quotes, O'Muck.  Pete Franklin had a ton of great quotes.  He was really a bright guy.  There are some spectacular ones from him in Stephen Calt's forward to the old "Country Blues Songbook".  I'll see if I can dig it up.  Henry Townsend also was a very quotable guy.
all best,
Johnm

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2009, 06:31:19 PM »
Did you get to meet Pete franklin John?

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2009, 08:33:13 PM »
Hi Phil,
No, I never did get to meet Pete Franklin.  I wish I had, I would loved to have heard him play in person.  I believe the people that were along for that Blue Goose recording expedition to Indianapolis in the early '70s were Nick Perls, Stephen Calt, Michael Stewart and Woody Mann.  They got a couple of really good albums out of it--the Shirley Griffith and Yank Rachell Blue Goose albums, and Nick later played me some pieces he had recorded of Pete's on that same trip.  They were terrific, and Pete was one of very few players of his generation to play occasionally with the high octave G string on a six-string guitar.  There is one of those pieces on the Bluesville album you cited, and it is great.  I remember Nick and Stephen really liked Pete and respected his intelligence and candor, but he was pretty far gone in drink at the time, and Nick was not able to record enough material for an entire album, so the stuff he did record never ended up being issued---a shame really. 

You can be a very strong player, and inventive, too, but an album's worth of stuff is a lot of material to have in shape at any given time, especially if you have not had opportunities to perform any time recently.  It's not good to feel thoroughly out of step with the musical times in which you live.  It can make it difficult to stay motivated.  I believe this has happened to a lot of musicians after the music they were good at playing fell out of public favor through no fault of its own--just changing times.  In a way, the real shockers are the musicians who continue to play fabulously despite little or no opportunity to make money doing their music, I'm thinking of Scrapper Blackwell in his later years or Buddy Moss.  Perhaps pride or a highly developed self-image has something to do with it, it's hard to say.  It's not easy though, no matter how you cut it.
All best,
Johnm 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 10:10:13 PM by Johnm »

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2009, 08:44:20 PM »
It's not a good to feel thoroughly out of step with the musical times in which you live.  It can make it difficult to stay motivated.  I believe this has happened to a lot of musicians after the music they were good at playing fell out of public favor through no fault of its own--just changing times.

A profound and sad truth. Great observations. Thanks John.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2009, 08:45:59 AM »
It has been reliably reported that the bus with the performers that accompanied him pulled out of town, leaving him behind on the streets of Houston, still drunk. - Doctor Clayton is ditched by his band after showing up under the influence at a dance gig for 3,000 people in Houston, Houston Informer, August 29, 1942
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 08:52:15 AM by uncle bud »

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2009, 06:49:41 PM »

This quote was on the cover of the 2002 PTCBW flyer, I don't think it's been added to the generator yet:

It's a feelin'--a great feelin' a person has. When you get ahold of a guitar and get to singing blues, you ... forget about that terrible feelin', and you can suddenly revive and you can overcome. -- John Jackson

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2009, 05:08:30 PM »
"The minstrel and annex bands were features at the show grounds.  Here were a group of colored minstrels, players, band people, under the direction of Edward Rucker...  The band plays pretty airs of all kinds, suiting the music nicely to the work in hand.  When the snakes were exhibited it played a charming waltz; somehow it fitted the exhibit; others were of similar propriety..." - The Indianapolis Freeman, July 4th, 1914, quoted in Ragged But Right by Lynn Abbott and Doug Seroff.

Tags: quotes 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal