collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I thought that it was such a privilege for me to be doing those sides with Georgia, that I decided to do everything I could in one bar. Everything I could dream of, I wanted to be sure I got it all in. I was like a dive bomber coming in, playing everything but what she was singing, playing the fastest run I could that had nothing to do with expressing the blues. It was wrong! - The self deprecating Les Paul on his 1936 recording sessions backing Georgia White

Author Topic: Jimmy Rushing, a 1959 dressingroom interview  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Chris A

Jimmy Rushing, a 1959 dressingroom interview
« on: August 29, 2010, 06:44:08 PM »
I have posted the first of two interviews that I did with Jimmy Rushing in 1959. Here is a direct link: http://stomp-off.blogspot.com/2010/08/jimmy-rushing-at-peps.html

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Jimmy Rushing, a 1959 dressingroom interview
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 01:22:54 AM »
Love it!

I've always had a "soft spot" for Jimmy Rushing, unlike most blues fans of my acquaintance. "An acquired taste" used to be a common expression used by reviewers of his records 60s/70s UK blues magazines.

That first tour of the UK in August-September 1957 received much coverage from Jazz Journal and Jazz Monthly. The former has Mr Five by Five on its front cover (taken in the Vanguard studio) and inside a lengthy interview by Douglas Hague (Jimmy Rushing Tells His Story). This is illustrated with further photos of he and Pete Johnson at work in the studio.

Offline jharris

• Big Road Blues
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 03:41:19 PM »

I've always had a "soft spot" for Jimmy Rushing, unlike most blues fans of my acquaintance. "An acquired taste" used to be a common expression used by reviewers of his records 60s/70s UK blues magazines.

I second that! When I was first buying blues records I picked up a copy of, I believe, Everyday I Have The Blues on Vanguard which even had a newspaper clipping attached of an obit of Rushing. I instantly became a fan and have picked up many of his albums over the years including his legendary sides with Basie. Many band singers didn't fair well after they went solo but Rushing waxed a consistent output of excellent records backed by top flight musicians. Like many singers he had a core number of songs he recorded often but no matter what he sang he was a terrific interpreter.

Offline oddenda

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 05:17:41 PM »
Everyone should pick up Rushing's "Jazz Casual" video from a Ralph J. Gleason series back in the day. It's Little Jimmy and a piano! Sublime!

Peter B.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 08:16:21 PM »
I listened to a good bit of this and enjoyed it enormously. Thanks for posting Chris, from an old time WBAI-er  ;)
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline Chris A

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 09:25:04 AM »
I just posted the second Rushing interview (http://stomp-off.blogspot.com)

Tags: Jimmy Rushing 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal