collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I ain't killed nobody, my picture ain't in the post office - John Jackson, in a workshop with Orville and John Cephas, 1998

Author Topic: Desert Island (well, long flight and empty beach) Discs  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Sarah Jane

Desert Island (well, long flight and empty beach) Discs
« on: November 25, 2006, 04:24:20 AM »
-
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:41:36 PM by Sarah Jane »
I'm a-puffin' an' blowin' .....

http://cigaretteblues.livejournal.com

Offline Dr. G

Re: Desert Island (well, long flight and empty beach) Discs
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 09:38:58 PM »
If you don't already have it: "Riding the Blinds" by Eddie Mapp...IMHO the greatest country blues harp performance of all time....

And, in a similar vein, any and all of Sonny Terry's great uptempo whoopin' & squallin' & fox-chasin' showpieces [he typically included one such on every one of his scores of albums].

And for good measure (in a guitarish vein), how about Jo Ann Kelley's Blue Goose reissue in which she is sublimely accompanied by the likes of John Miller, Woody Mann, and John Fahey, on a terrific compilation of slightly "off-the-beaten-track" CB's?

Happy skies,

Dr. G

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 06:21:46 AM »
Not in any way blues related, but my favorite disks for sitting on the beach under a palm tree are Rounder CD 1052, "Vintage Hawaiian Music: Steel Guitar Masters 1928 - 1934" and Rounder CD 1053"Vintage Hawaiian Music: The Great Singers 1928 - 1934".  I don't know how readily they're available where you are.  I suppose JSP's "It's Hotter In Hawaii" would be an acceptable substitute.  Just make sure you rip all the Sol Ho'opi'i and Jim & Bob tracks when you're making your selections from that set!

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 08:14:59 AM »
Well... you have to bring EASY by Jimmy DeBerry & Walter Horton (Sun Records 1953) one of the greatest harp records ever.
Yeah, sublime, sublime. The tune, as noted when reissued on a UK bootleg LP in 1965, is Ivory Joe Hunter's 1950 hit I Almost Lost My Mind.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 01:05:24 AM »
Not in any way blues related, but my favorite disks for sitting on the beach under a palm tree are Rounder CD 1052, "Vintage Hawaiian Music: Steel Guitar Masters 1928 - 1934" and Rounder CD 1053"Vintage Hawaiian Music: The Great Singers 1928 - 1934".  I don't know how readily they're available where you are.  I suppose JSP's "It's Hotter In Hawaii" would be an acceptable substitute.  Just make sure you rip all the Sol Ho'opi'i and Jim & Bob tracks when you're making your selections from that set!

And don't forget - King Benny rules!
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal