collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The blues is a bantering conversation on, for the most part, the subjects of sex, love, anxiety, and travel, that was little different from the idle back-and-forth talk that might have been overheard in a 1930s barrelhouse. - Michael Taft, review of Barrelhouse Words by Stephen Calt

Author Topic: Which Strings Do You Use and Why ??  (Read 3409 times)

Offline SteveMcBill

• This too shall pass! So grab it while you can!
    • Steve Mc's Acoustic Guitar
Which Strings Do You Use and Why ??
« on: April 08, 2007, 03:28:11 PM »
Hi people,

Could I ask:

Which strings do you use (make, model, construction, materials, diameters,etc.) on which guitars and why ??

I am going to try and get back into playing after a very long lay-off (nearly 15 years) and things seem to have moved on from the old Martin Brass lights I used to use.

Cheers and thanks

Steve

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
Re: Which Strings Do You Use and Why ??
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 11:28:25 PM »
I switch from time to time. Right now I'm enamored of DR Rares, phosphor bronze, the set that starts with .012 on the top (they call them Mediums, in Martin nomenclature they'd be Lights), on both my main flattops, a 000 Martin and J45 Gibson.

The DRs are very long lasting and I'm very happy with the tone so I think I'll be sticking with them for a while. I've used DRs on and off for several years and have noticed a distinct improvement in recent times. DRs are IMO the best readily-available (i.e. in your local music store) strings on the market at the present time. People are bound to disagree with me!
DRs: http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dr-rpm-12.html

2nd choice: Martin SP Lights.

Offline slidnslim

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 06:28:28 AM »
Hard to believe for me but I've been playing Country Blues
 for almost thirty years yikes! and I've gone through all kinds
phases as far as string type and such,

The longest string choice I've used on the Nationals and regulate
 acoustics Gibson&Kay guitars is nickel wound,
 I've always had a problem with breaking Strings so in the past
 I substituted it for a 24 plain or 26,

The last few months Ive been trying Guadalupe strings and
 I tell ya they are something else,especially on the Nationals
 the just really last long and intonate well they also resist wear
 well regarding a heavy slide,
 There impossible to get here in Canada but I've got kin in California
 who smuggle me some in!

Try them I'll guarantee YOU WILL LIKE THEM!

Kenny,

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 08:38:41 AM »
Newtone P/B National strings but with 13 on top for the Style O - tried everything else but have used these for the last 12 years. This is a Nat-Reso instrument and I've found that nickels do not sound right, probably because the guitar is so overbuilt that it's much less responsive than the triplate.

Newtone nickel National strings on the FineReso triplate (15 on top) - sound best, last forever and are easy to play.

D'Adario silk & steel on the old Sterling parlour, but I will try the Newtone vintage when I can find some.

Newtone P/b on my Harmony-Stella 12-string. They sound OK and they make a fairly heavy set.

I'm trying to put together a nickel set for my Fraulini 12-string just to hear what they sound like.

I do really prefer nickel as they seem to last longer and be softer to the touch.

Offline Blue in VT

• Howdy!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 08:47:30 AM »
I'm sure I'm in the minority on this site but I use Elixir nanos...speifically the light PBs...I love them!  They last for months...after the settle in (takes a Couple of days) I love the tone and the feel is silky smooth without much finger noise.  They may not be the most traditional sounding strings but they work for me!  Also if you shop around online and are willing to buy a few sets at a time you can find them for less money....

Cheers,

Blue
Blue in VT

bighollowtwang

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 12:37:51 PM »
Nickel strings on all acoustic instruments for me...I'm not too particular about brands, but I like 'em pretty light on the wood guitars (.11s on guitars with spruce tops and .12 on all-birch guitars and archtops) and a little heavier on the '31 Duolian, but still pretty light by most folks' standards, I've got a set of 12s on it right now and it sounds every bit as loud and full as it did with a .14-.58 set, go figure.

dabluz

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
recently i've been using cleartones. they are very good and last really well.  8)

rpg51

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 07:03:58 PM »
Recently I have been playing a new string on the market by Curt Mangan.  I like them a lot.  They are a little hard to find.  eBay is actually a good source.  I use them on my spruce top Greven L-00v.

I'm going to give some nickle wound strings a go on my ladder braced flat top next time I make a change.

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 01:15:55 AM »
I've always contended that different strings suit different folks - not only due to personal taste/type of guitar, but also because I think different people have different chemicals in their sweat. Some unfortunates have such aggressive perspiration that they kill a set of strings on contact.

I find Newtones are the best sounding and best lasting, non-coated strings around. I think Elixirs, etc. have their place and especially for professionals who would otherwise change strings every gig.  I'm only an amateur so tend to avoid coated strings - although I find it interesting that Larriv?e now put Cleartones on all the instruments they ship out. I must try them some time.

So I stick to Newtones, except on my two short-scale parlour guitars (newish Larriv?e Limited Edition Rosewood Parlor and pre-1929 Lyon & Healy Columbus cherry wood) as the lower tension of the Newtones make them a bit slack.  So on those I am currently using Martin SP 12-54s and D'Addario 11-53s respectively.  When I got my Kalamazoo it was strung with Elixirs which I left on for a while, but when I changed them for Newtones the improvement in sound quality was very noticeable.

Being a bit of an anorak, I always find it interesting what strings (and guitars) some of the professionals use, as often mentioned in "Acoustic Guitar" magazine.  Of course they vary enormously, because I'm sure all modern strings are of a high standard anyway.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 07:07:14 AM by Parlor Picker »
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

tommersl

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 01:19:30 PM »
I tried .10 .11 .12 and all sounded unlike I want. Now I use .13 and I feel I need a bit more. I believe I'm close to find my ideal.

Orb Mellon

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 04:10:23 AM »
I've been using 13-56 D'Addario PBs for the last year or so on everything, reso to wooden flatops. They are comparatively cheap, sound decent and are readily available around my neck of the woods. Pearses are good to but are harder to get outside of mail order.

Offline outfidel

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 08:53:31 AM »
I prefer PB Lights (.012-.054) because I like the way they sound & feel on my 00-18.

I tend to buy Martin strings because I can get them cheap via StringThis.com. D'addadrio & GHS also sound & feel fine to me.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 08:54:35 AM by outfidel »
Support musicians in need - join the Music Maker Relief Foundation

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal