collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Anywhere I'm wanted, I'll go. I've got to be wanted, though - Brownie McGhee

Author Topic: Louisiana Red wins Best Acoustic Album of Year Award  (Read 1566 times)

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
Louisiana Red wins Best Acoustic Album of Year Award
« on: May 19, 2010, 03:08:29 PM »

Good news for our friend Iverson Minter. I feel happy for a nice guy . . .

---------------------------

31st Blues Music Award Winners Announced

Here are the winners. We will tell you the rest of the story soon, but we stayed up kind of late last night. Long after the Awards were over, the lobby of both the Cook Convention Center and the Memphis Marriott Downtown looked like the party was just getting started. The buzz, the vibe the night of good feelings. Congratulations to all winners, all nominees, all the stellar performers and to Buddy and Bonnie for making it even more special!!

1. Acoustic Album - You Got to Move David Maxwell & Louisiana Red
2. Acoustic Artist - Louisiana Red

-------------------------------

His website barely mentions it . . .

http://www.louisiana-red.com/index.php?id=2

Offline Lwoodblues

• Living the Blues
Re: Louisiana Red wins Best Acoustic Album of Year Award
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 03:47:19 PM »
   Lindy; Is that the Handy Awards?  If so, What an honor! (American spelling)
lwood

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 09:12:42 PM »

Nope, Lwood, it's an organization called the Blues Foundation, based in Memphis.

http://blues.org/#ref=index

Lindy

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 01:45:18 AM »
Sad to say Red has just withdrawn from his UK tour with Michael Messer and has had to return home to Germany due to ill health. I'm sure we all wish him well.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 02:34:55 AM »
Sad to say Red has just withdrawn from his UK tour with Michael Messer and has had to return home to Germany due to ill health. I'm sure we all wish him well.
Yes indeed.

Robert Ford made the journey to see him at the New Milton Arts Centre on 14th and apparently Red was far from a well man then and his performance suffered accordingly. I guess Red didn't like to let folk down.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 02:35:56 AM by Bunker Hill »

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 03:15:49 AM »
   Lindy; Is that the Handy Awards?  If so, What an honor! (American spelling)
lwood

Nope, Lwood, it's an organization called the Blues Foundation, based in Memphis.
http://blues.org/#ref=index
Lindy

According to his website he got the Handy Award as best traditional artist in 1983.

I hope he is doing well!

Pan

Offline Michael Messer

• Shine On
    • Michael Messer
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 05:30:34 AM »
I just found this thread and thought I would bring the news up to date.

We had a 20 date UK tour booked, but sadly we were only able to do four shows. It was during the concert mentioned on this thread (New Milton Arts Centre) that I knew we could not continue. Red returned home to Germany where he spent some time in hospital, and has made a full recovery. Louisiana Red is back out on the road again. Ride On Red, Ride On!
Michael Messer

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 06:21:38 AM »
Louisiana Red is back out on the road again. Ride On Red, Ride On!
This is heartening news, thanks for passing on the information.

In 1978 I spent an afternoon at John Stedman?s house speaking with Red and somewhere have two C90 cassettes of his playing and chatting. I took along a few of Red's 45s /LPs and one of the latter, Lowdown Back Porch Blues (UK Columbia), he took from me with great zeal, told me the photo on the front was "his aunties place" turned it over and scribbled a message thereon and signed it. At the time I was horrified that one of my prize possessions since 1964 had been "defaced" in such a manner. I tried not to let it show and thanked him profusely for the gesture. Today I'm far less "precious" about such matters.  ;D

The other memorable happening was Red performing 100 press-ups without breaking sweat!  ::)

In the evening John, wife Shanny, Red and I went to the Troubadour in Earls Court to see Gordon Smith who was performing that night. During Gordon's interval he told attendees that Red was just in from the Sates and would play a couple of numbers. They were patently perturbed by Red's use of an electric guitar.

Offline WayneS

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 12:42:32 PM »
Very glad to hear that Red is well.  He's a real talent, one of the vets, has done it all, and a good man.

Tags: Louisiana Red 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal