collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I have played so much guitar, it would make your ass hurt - Guitar Gabriel, Port Townsend 95

Author Topic: European Weenie gathering 13-14 April 07 is go! And the web site up and running  (Read 23283 times)

Offline GhostRider

• That'll never happen no more!
Hey, Waxy:

We may have to help these folks out. See if you can bring the Kamado.

Alex
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 09:58:37 AM by GhostRider »

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
Prof, I have a nasty feeling in my coronary arteries that is why they could taste so nice   :P

What's a Komodo..... NOw I could have misread that (wait for it   >:D so I'll apologise in advance, now read on...  :D ) surely you don't mean one of them there chairs with a hole in the seat ....................  :-X
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
It's a Royal Kamado. a Japanese ceramic smoker/bar-B-Q, which goes to PT every yearr, but which I don't think, at about 40 lbs., is gonna make it on the plane. But I was thinkin' the same thing, Pyro. Do you Guernsey chlllen do any grillin"? Perhaps a seafood barbecue on the beach? One of the primary experiences at Weenie PI is that we do our own barbecuing every night and with Alex and I you've got two of Weenie's top chefs, capable of masterminding a feast for about 30 people or more. "Course it requires others to do shopping, assist cheffing and cover utensil logistics.

I'd be up for it, weather permitting.

All for now,
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
The evening temperature in April is likely to be about 12 deg. (54degF), a bit chilly to be on the beach. Still there is always Richard's garage.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Hey, you're only there a couple days, why cook? Fish and chips fried in beef fat sounds like excellent blues food to me...

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
It's nice idea Waxy, but I fear the weather could be against us even if the sun (keep praying) is out, since as Phil say's the temperature is likely to be against it  ::) 

But, who knows  :o if it ain't that cold I'm sure we could rustle up some form of diy catering equipement and a few dead molluscs to partake of.... alternately, there is always the  Cobo chip shop  :P

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
I now have this vision of a small group of colonials shivering around a tiny fire on the beach chewing on half-cooked whelks whilst the rest of us sit in the warmth of the hotel sipping our wine and eating our perfectly cooked steaks and waving at them from behind the glass.

Alternatively, despairing of trying to light a fire in the rain and wind,they clutch their fat-sodden, newspaper-wrapped, fish and chips wondering where it all went wrong and wondering whether the health insurance is up to date.

We must be able to get a song out of that!

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
That ain't no vision...you are talking Guernsey here again...  but they don't do welks, there is another vulcanised local delight called ormer which is also doubles as a fossil fuel  :P

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
  :o  Just completing an update to my site www.weekendblues.org which now offers a provisional programme of sorts for the weekend, so please let me have any suggestions or idea's you may have.

If you know your flight (ferry?) arrival time it would help let me if you could let me know when you are scheduled to beam down  :P

I hear they have got some parachutes, oh damn

Thanks

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
What a bunch of wusses. OK. Deep fried food it is. I guess what they say about British cuisine is true, Alex? Thankfully I'll be spending close to a week in Paris.-G-

'Course if it's polar in Guernsey I'm wondering what it's gonna be like in the Orkneys a week earlier. I assume the North Sea is still frozen over and the natives are huddled in their caves eating dried mackerel for fear of being eaten by polar bears.-G- May have to rethink that leg of the trip. And I assume Scotland is still two feet deep in snow at that point, eh, Scratch? I'm not sure Gre will go for that.

So, approximately how many are we, Richard. You make it sound like it's gonna take days to hear everyone play. How 'bout a roster?

An hour seems awfully short for a workshop in which an entire song or two is gonna be taught and learned. Saturday morning seems sparse, how 'bout a two hour workshop at 10:30 and another at 2:00? I can't believe you are such a novice at drinking that you have to recover 'til noon?-G-

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
Hi Waxy
Orkney is cold in summer. In April you might manage 8-10 degrees if the wind is blowing from the south. You'll like it though - especially if you go for birds and prehistoric burial sites. Don't expect too many trees though. Edinburgh is the Riviera of the north. Sun always shines and it rarely gets cold. I rarely lie. No snow though, 'cos we're on the seaside. Wherever you go in Britain in April, prepare to wrap up warm. If it's as warm as twelve degrees, I'd certainly be up for a barbecue on the beach. If it gets too cold....well, guitars burn don't they? Even Nationals have the decency to have wooden necks (apart from the bakelite ones).

Offline GhostRider

What a bunch of wusses. OK. Deep fried food it is. I guess what they say about British cuisine is true, Alex?

I agree, BJ. +10C is nice BBQ weather here in W. Canada. I guess all the real men emigrated years ago ;D

I now have this vision of a small group of colonials shivering around a tiny fire on the beach chewing on half-cooked whelks whilst the rest of us sit in the warmth of the hotel sipping our wine and eating our perfectly cooked steaks and waving at them from behind the glass.

Waxy doesn't "half-cook" anything. They don't call him "Barbeque John" for nothin'!

Perfectly cooked steaks, in Great Britain! Outrageous! Calgary is in the heart of Cattle country, where we really know how to cook beef. I'll bring the BBQ sauce. (although you do have HP, fortunately).

BJ, we've got our work cut out for us... >:D

Alex
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 12:30:20 PM by GhostRider »

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
"Perfectly cooked" over here does not mean carbonised, plus the beef is not hormonally enhanced and fed on GM feed -  pass the steak under the grill just long enough to stop the blood running, or if you are French, light a match close to the meat.

Now we've got the cookery sorted, what guitars are folks bringing? I suppose I'll have my FR Triplate, it covers most bases very well.

Phil

Offline GhostRider

HI:

I'll be bringing my Gibson '33 L-00. And the Barbeque sauce, just in case.

Alex

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
"Perfectly cooked" over here does not mean carbonised, plus the beef is not hormonally enhanced and fed on GM feed -  pass the steak under the grill just long enough to stop the blood running, or if you are French, light a match close to the meat.

Now we've got the cookery sorted, what guitars are folks bringing? I suppose I'll have my FR Triplate, it covers most bases very well.

Phil

LOL. Phil, please send me your address so I can dispatch a present. ;) Plus, you guys actually seem to have the mad cow thing figured out. Costs too much over here says the ranchers. (edited in support of actual ranchers. It's more the lobby groups and various levels of government that are to blame, IMO. ;))

And Waxy, fish and chips is, IMO, a food freak's dream when done right. I can still taste the deep-fried cod and chips I had in Newfoundland years ago now... mmm... Doesn't mean you live on the stuff.

Wish I was able to make it but circumstances have conspired against me. Hopefully Euro-Weenies will make this an annual thing and opportunity will knock once more. Sounds like a tremendous blast.

Alex, pack that baby well. I know it's earmarked for me in your will...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 06:14:17 PM by uncle bud »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal