collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
John had recently flown for the first time and did not like it at all. Pat Sky tried to reassure him, saying it was a pretty safe means of transport and adding, "Anyway, when it's your time to go, it's your time to go." John thought a while and answered, "Yeah, but what if you're on the plane and it's the pilot's time to go?" - from Phil Ratcliffe's Biography of Mississippi John Hurt

Author Topic: Euroweenie 2012  (Read 14323 times)

Offline Laura

Re: Euroweenie 2012
« Reply #120 on: March 07, 2012, 12:26:59 PM »
Wow, Rivers - That is quite some story, thank you for sharing!  Yes I do live in Swindon now (Born and bred) but escaped as soon as I could and ended up  in Tokyo at 22.  I lived there for 6 years and was planning to stay there permanently but the March 11th earthquake scared me enough to move myself and now toddler daughter back to steadier ground :)

I took up guitar at school and played for a few years but completely dropped it after starting college.  I was feeling a little isolated and bored in Japan and picked up a cheap acoustic in the freeads - randomly found a Duck Baker lesson "Make me a pallet on your floor" on Youtube and well..from there I got hooked!  I've been teaching myself for the last couple of years and probably keeping Stefan Grossman in business with all the DVD's I've bought  ;D I've recently treated myself to a lovely second hand Ebay guitar (yes I know, Ebay!) and it has such a lovely tone I'm enjoying playing so much now. I even looked up my old school guitar teacher and have been taken some real lessons for the last couple of months.  And there is my story!

Offline Laura

« Reply #121 on: March 07, 2012, 12:28:14 PM »
Phil - Thank you very much for the extremely generous offer of a lift - I've sent you a private message.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #122 on: March 07, 2012, 05:42:44 PM »
Laura, great story also. It certainly does kick-start your playing hanging with other country blues fanatics. Steal as much as possible, and redistribute it when you can, is my SOP

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2012, 01:53:51 PM »
Only a month or so to go weenies so unless anybody says anything we will assume no news is good news. I have a feeling there is actually something else on at the hotel during our weekend which will be interesting ! Maybe we could get a paying gig out of it, if it's a wedding, funeral, birthday, centenary, christening, divorcing or something equally unexciting, eh?

Now back to reality any questions or help needed  from those relying on public transport?

Colm, I'm comingover mit car this time on the ferry as I have to go Bristol way after so I won't be available for airporto lifts in a hire car - so are you sorted?

(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline colm kill paul

« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2012, 02:07:13 PM »
Richard, thanks for asking. we are all sorted. We will hop the train to Brockenhurst and cab in there. Colm

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2012, 02:53:59 PM »
Colm, I don't know what time the Hurt Shuttle is beaming you across from the airport, but as the station is only about about 10-15 mins from the hotel I'm sure one of us could pick you up (not that I want to be done for importuning) if you were give us an approximate arrival time and then confirm by the dreaded mobile I'm sure we can do something. Mine's a vino bianco.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2012, 10:59:39 PM »
Be advised there are two station entry/exits on either side of the station.

When Blueshome came to collect me two years ago he was waiting in the car park whilst I was outside the ticket office. Neither of us were aware of this, fortunately Blueshome had the good sense to investigate the possibility of another entrance.

Offline colm kill paul

« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2012, 06:26:39 AM »
I am definitely a candidate for standing resolutely at the wrong door so thanks bh for the insight to that potential pitfall. If all goes to plan we should land at the hotel just as you guys are sitting down for dinner but as always with flights things can get delayed so we will make our own way down from the station. Starting to really look forward to the trip now...vino blanco and all! colm

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2012, 12:43:45 PM »
No discrimination, mines a red!

Offline colm kill paul

« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2012, 01:35:41 AM »
I was about to craft some witty remark along the lines of ... and mine is BLUE.... but just in time realised that this would leave the door open for some terrible nun gags ( Richard you know you could,t resist) so best leave it at that then. Colm

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2012, 03:51:52 PM »
Would I, what a thing to say.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2012, 01:57:05 PM »
Just a note to say we are looking forward to seeing you Euroweenies at sunny (we hope) Milford from the 20th.
The event is now fully subscribed for this year.

Offline Richard

• weekendblues
« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2012, 12:32:07 PM »

Indeed it is, the hotel has no more rooms and other years I have been struggling to fill the rooms  :)

Offline Gumbo

• So Papa climbed up on top of the house
« Reply #133 on: April 10, 2012, 02:17:10 PM »

Excellent - now the rowdier elements can plan to crash the party ! ;)

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #134 on: April 10, 2012, 04:52:15 PM »
We already there

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal