collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I got myself a mamma, she's always got me feeling blue. She acts just like the weather, I don't know what she's going to do - Lonnie Johnson, "Fickle Mamma Blues" (1927)

Author Topic: DE/PA Concert/Workshops: Orpheus Supertones and The New N.C. Ramblers  (Read 1751 times)

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
Sorry for the short notice, but if you're in the area this should be fun - may even be a few open slots in the workshops.

The Brandywine Friends of Old Time Music will present a very special evening of traditional American music on Friday

A Tribute to Charlie Poole & the North Carolina Ramblers

A concert featuring the always entertaining ORPHEUS SUPERTONES and, from down south, the NEW NORTH CAROLINA RAMBLERS

Friday, November 16, 2007 at 8:00 p.m.
at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship Hall
420 Willa Road in Newark, Delaware (near the UD campus)

String band music from the Golden Age! Join us as we celebrate one of America's legendary country music artists with stories, tunes and songs played by two great bands. "Don?t Let Your Deal Go Down," "If I Lose," "Sunny Tennessee" and "White House Blues" are just a few of Poole's songs that have become standards in American folk, bluegrass, and old-time music. Don't miss this special event!

Concert tickets are available at the door only:
General Public $15; Members and Seniors $12; under-18-year-olds FREE!

Light refreshments will be available for sale at the concert.

For more information, please visit www.brandywinefriends.org, e-mail: concerts [at] bfotm [dot] org, or call (302) 635-3001

-----

Please note: The New North Carolina Ramblers are offering 60-90 min. workshops, starting at 11 AM on Saturday, November 17, 2007 at the home of Pete Peterson and Kellie Allen in Oxford, PA.

Here are the workshops, to be given in the following order:
- Jeremy Stephens: Roy Harvey?s Guitar Style
- Darren Moore: Maybelle Carter?s Guitar Style
- Jeremy and Darren: Songs of the Carter Family
- Kirk Sutphin: Piedmont Fiddle and Banjo
- Kinney Rorrer: Life, Times and Music of Charlie Poole

Admission to each workshop is $20, or two workshops for $35. Lunch (and refreshments) will be provided. If you?re coming for a workshop or workshops, please plan to stay on for the party after the workshops are over.

The New North Carolina Ramblers are an extraordinarily talented and knowledgeable bunch of musicians. While many of you may be familiar with Kinney and Kirk because of their previous work (including Kinney?s book an Charlie Poole and Kirk?s many stints teaching at various music weeks, as well as his numerous awards and honors), it is possible that you have yet to hear Jeremy Stephens (although he did take first place in banjo at Clifftop 2 years ago) or Darren Moore, two delightful men in their early twenties who are gifted and very much immersed in old-time music. We think you?ll like what you hear.

To reserve spots: Please email or call Kellie: kaallen [at] aol [dot] com / 267-879-7967 *** Contact Kellie ASAP if you would like to take a workshop, spots are filling up quickly. ***

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal