collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Man, if you gotta ask you'll never know - Louis Armstrong, upon being asked to define 'jazz'

Author Topic: How About You?  (Read 577 times)

Offline Le Trompeur

• MY home
How About You?
« on: January 07, 2013, 07:24:55 PM »
I was so excited when I learned that Document put out some previously unreleased Blind Willie McTell tunes.  Enjoy!  :)

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 07:55:48 PM by Le Trompeur »

Offline The Jazzbo Tommy Settler

Re: How About You?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 07:17:27 AM »
Excellent, I love that song. Some of Blind Willie McTell's best work was in those '49/'50 sessions. I too have learnt that song by ear, it's good to see that you got that opening riff - something I could never do. If you have time I don't suppose you could tab it out?
A few of my favourite tunes: Telephone Girl - Arville Reed, Rag Baby - Willie Baker, Big Bed Bug - Jazzbo Tommy Settler, How Long Blues - Jed Davenport, Toodle Doo - Alec Johnson, Am I Right Or Wrong - Son House, Don't The Moon Look Pretty - Seven Coloured Boys, Barbecue Bust - Blind Roosevelt Graves, Omie Wise - Grayson & Whitter.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 07:28:09 AM »
Sounding good, Le Trompeur. What new McTell songs are you referring to, on what Document CD, btw?

Offline The Jazzbo Tommy Settler

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 07:34:06 AM »
The Document CD in question is Blind Willie McTell & Curley Weaver The Post War Recordings 1949 - 1950, BDCD-6014. Some of the highlights for me are A To Z Blues, You Can't Get Stuff No More, How About You and Trixie. But all 28 tracks are thoroughly enjoyable, and there's something about the way Willie's voice aged that - to me - makes it sound even sweeter.
A few of my favourite tunes: Telephone Girl - Arville Reed, Rag Baby - Willie Baker, Big Bed Bug - Jazzbo Tommy Settler, How Long Blues - Jed Davenport, Toodle Doo - Alec Johnson, Am I Right Or Wrong - Son House, Don't The Moon Look Pretty - Seven Coloured Boys, Barbecue Bust - Blind Roosevelt Graves, Omie Wise - Grayson & Whitter.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 07:43:51 AM »
Ah, I see, but these are not previously unreleased. All that material has been available previously elsewhere, though How About You and an alt. take of It's My Desire were somewhat hidden on a Delmark CD of the Back Porch Boys.

Offline Le Trompeur

• MY home
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 02:17:03 PM »
"If you have time I don't suppose you could tab it out?

I don't have any software to tab it out so I'm not sure how to get that info across to you.  I agree with you on McTell's voice, the mellower it is the sweeter it sounds.

All that material has been available previously elsewhere, though How About You and an alt. take of It's My Desire were somewhat hidden on a Delmark CD of the Back Porch Boys.
I didn't know that; the two songs I was previously unaware of were How About You and the alternate take of Cross the River of Jordan wherein Weaver bassess McTell.

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 02:24:36 AM »
well done!

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 10:04:55 AM »
wow! Excellent

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal