collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I am an urban person, although I'm a very confused urban person. I was reared in the suburbs of Washington, D.C., but I was reared listening to all this weird, old stuff - Mike Seeger, notes to True Vine

Author Topic: Memphis Country Blues Festival from the 1960s  (Read 802 times)

Offline harriet

Memphis Country Blues Festival from the 1960s
« on: December 11, 2013, 05:31:14 PM »
I don't know if other members have heard this. It has a free player with some great performances including 2! Joe Callicott, others - the blurb is:

"We celebrate the rich musical history of Memphis during the 1960s by focusing on some of the Blues legends who were still an active part of the scene -- such as Bukka White, Furry Lewis, Gus Cannon, and Will Shade -- plus... we'll hear classic selections from the legendary 1968 Memphis Country Blues Festival. Read the full description."

http://www.prx.org/pieces/62556-blues-unlimited-119-memphis-country-blues-from#description

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 08:16:26 AM by harriet »

Offline jostber

Re: Memphis Country Blues Festival from the 1960s
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 02:32:49 AM »
Will check out this! Always great to hear some Robert Wilkins I have not heard. Thanks for the link!

Offline harriet

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 03:12:45 PM »
The Wilkins cut of "What Do You Think About Jesus" I heard was fantastic - he was playing with his sons and really rocks it.

And there a bunch more stuff I didn't see before  like 2 hour programs of Chicago slide greats, a look at the Bluebird Label, Great Gospel Preachers, Piano Blues, Delta Blues, special section on Son House, Mandolin.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 03:29:14 PM by harriet »

Offline Tom Rushen

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 04:13:17 PM »
The Wilkins cut of "What Do You Think About Jesus" I heard was fantastic - he was playing with his sons and really rocks it.

Simply put, I've long considered this one particular recording the most amazing, scintillating "blues revival" recording I've ever heard....and it's full-blown call-and-response gospel.

There's a low-fi video of this recording from Memphis '68 that I've seen before floating around on the internet a few years ago, though I can't find it now.

And of course, this recording turned up on the Blue Horizon CD reissue from just 5 years ago or so.

http://www.amazon.com/Memphis-Country-Blues-Bukka-White/dp/B000FL7BK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386979946&sr=8-1&keywords=bukka+white+and+the+memphis+country

Offline peanut

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 08:41:03 AM »
Somewhere I have a copy of the original Blue Horizon vinyl album. Blue Horizon also released a series of albums around the same time by country blues artists including Furry Lewis, Joe Callicot, Roosevelt Holts, Bukka White and Larry Johnson                                                                                                   

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal