collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
You hear these songs, and they're incredibly moving. But when we talk about it as being raw or authentic, it discounts just how hard this stuff was to play and how musically sophisticated and innovative it was. There's a sense of almost remarginalizing it by talking about it as this primitive music that sprung up in the cotton fields, when in fact, it's incredibly skilled and impressive music - Amanda Petrusich, author of Do Not Sell at Any Price: The Wild, Obsessive Hunt for the World's Rarest 78 rpm Records

Author Topic: Sea Shanties  (Read 1096 times)

Offline harvey

• Howdy!
Sea Shanties
« on: September 16, 2010, 02:31:10 PM »
I am not normally a poster, but I have been really enjoying sea shanties lately, I have performed a search of the forums and the subject has not been bought up before, maybe the link is a bit obvious (?)

Bunker Hill posted an article in the latest Paul Oliver book thread, which says Paul only believes there is a  limited link with shanties and work songs. However....

I have a holiday chalet down in Cornwall near Port Isaacs and every Friday night the fisherman of Port Isaacs still sing sea shanty and sea songs, I went to see them last weekend for the second time. Just the call and response thing got me first, clearly typical of most work songs. But I think also lyrically, there are common themes. Some seem obvious such as, being a long way from home, going away/leaving, homeward bound etc. but then there are a lot of songs about sea legends, or infamous seamen and of course songs about drink and women.

A link below to a good sea shanty site and a clip of the great fishermen of Port Isaac. Which, although completely free (they have a whip round for sea rescue charities) is one of the most enjoyable evenings of live music I have been too, helped of course by a wonderful setting and great food and drink.

http://shanty.rendance.org/index.php

I would very much like to hear from anyone who may have looked at the links before whether musically or historically

Offline CF

Re: Sea Shanties
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 02:45:24 PM »
Stan Rogers' music is near done to death in East Coast Canada but when you hear the original recordings or, thanks to youtube, see video you remember what all the fuss is about.

Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal