collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Sugar babe, I'm tired of you. Ain't your honey but the way you do - Mance Lipscomb, Sugar Babe

Author Topic: Floyd 'Dipper Boy' Council  (Read 2651 times)

Offline Stefan Wirz

• Tach-chen!
    • 'American Music'
Floyd 'Dipper Boy' Council
« on: May 14, 2006, 05:14:51 AM »
... found it a bit inappropriate that Pink Anderson has a discography while Floyd Council hasn't !
Didnt they both have their share in "Pink Floyd" taking place ?!?  >:D
Stefan

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Re: Floyd 'Dipper Boy' Council
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 05:38:50 AM »
Thanks, Stefan.  I hadn't realized that Floyd was rediscovered and recorded after World War II.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 09:05:38 AM »
Thanks, Stefan.  I hadn't realized that Floyd was rediscovered and recorded after World War II.
Yes, Bastin & Lowry reported in Blues Unlimited 69 (Jan 1970) that Willie Trice pointed them in Council's direction and in the following issue described tracking him down in Sandford, 30 miles south of Durham. He wasn't in good shape having suffered a stroke six years previous which had affected his speech and mobility.

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 10:50:35 AM »
Here's part of the Bastin/Lowry report on Council in BU70 (Feb-Mar 1970):

Tracing Floyd Council's address through the telephone book proved a good deal more more simple than finding out where the street was. I had been told over the phone that Floyd had recently come out of hospital and was in no position to talk to anyone, but finally Floyd got to the phone, and seemed willing for us to come by, though he certainly sounded unwell. When we eventually rounded the corner, he was sitting out waiting on his porch and waved cheerily as we pulled up outside.
Floyd has been unwell for about 6 years, and recently had a stroke, which has partially paralized his throat muscles and made his movements lethargic. Despite the difficulty he often had in communicating, he seemed quite clear in his mind and probably rather glad that someone was bothered enough to come by and talk with him about old days.
While it seems almost certain he will never sing again, there is a remote possibility that if the results of the stroke wear off, he could play again.

[As Stefan's discography shows, that "remote possibility" took place six months after the piece was published - BH]
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 10:54:03 AM by Bunker Hill »

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 05:36:34 AM »
It's heartbreaking that a stroke laid him so low. By any reckoning, he had a lot to offer.

Offline oddenda

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 01:05:39 AM »
If there is a god, she has a warped sense of humor.  The great pickers had stroke, while the great singers throat cancer. Floyd never really recorded again - I tried, with a singer/harp player friend of his (Rufus Jackson - three songs), but the results are of historical interest only. The same with Pink. He and Peg Leg Sam (two songs) attempted, but he couldn't pull it off then. Roy Bookbinder later on got Pink in shape enough to do a "farewell" tour of the East. I caught him at The Folklore Center... met Jo Ann Kelly there - we went afterwards to hear Bobby Bland!! Pink and Floyd were not the only examples: Jack Jordan and Blind Lloyd come to min d off the top of the proverbial head, just to mention two.

pbl

p.s. - That's my photo of Floyd with a gut string guitar I carried on my first trip. Left with him, but to no avail. Later I got a killer Gibson SJ in a pawn shop for cheap, especially considering that it appeared unplayed! It appears on many a Trix record.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 01:18:51 AM by oddenda »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal