collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Further, Handy could not play jazz, Morton said, as he was unable to execute "plenty of figure work in the groove ability, great improvisations, accurate, exciting tempos with a kick" - from Alan Lomax, The Man Who Recorded the World, by John Szwed

Author Topic: Other Musical Interests on YouTube  (Read 71573 times)

Offline David Kaatz

Re: Other Musical Interests on YouTube
« Reply #315 on: July 26, 2020, 02:06:02 PM »
Jerry Reed playing Careless Love. I started transcribing this a few years back, got most of the way through, but left it unfinished. I can transcribe, but I can't play it! Recently revisited.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #316 on: August 16, 2020, 02:45:18 PM »
Hi all,
I had heard about the Mavericks for years and their lead singer, Raul Malo. I happened to listen to this the other day and thought it was just about perfect, nobody's trying to impress, no solos, just the song, and boy, does he sing it beautifully.

All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #317 on: August 16, 2020, 03:01:11 PM »
Beautiful... so tastefully done.  I love the Mavericks and listen to them quite often. 
They have a great blend of C&W and TexMex/cajunto/whatever... that Mexican influence that really appeals to me. You cannot tell it by the vocal range in this song... but Malo's voice, in other songs, often sounds very Roy Orbison like... I mean without the irritating aspects of Roy's voice... haha.   If I could have any voice in the world... I think it would be Raul Malos'. 

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #318 on: August 16, 2020, 03:21:53 PM »
I know what you mean, Slack. I think Glen Campbell was a great singer, obviously a great player, too, but when I heard Raul Malo sing this song I thought, wow, that is just perfect. I love that he's not knocking himself out, trying to be expressive--he just trusts his voice, his interpretive instincts and the song itself. And does he ever have good reason to trust his voice!

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #319 on: August 16, 2020, 07:58:08 PM »
Amen on the Mavericks -- love the accordion in their music.

The song is such a strong one that it really doesn't need embellishment. I also appreciate Molly Tuttle's renditions in concert--I've been fortunate to see her twice, and there's about 20 vids of her singing this song on YT. For example:

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #320 on: August 17, 2020, 08:41:06 AM »
Thanks for the posts of The Mavericks and Molly Tuttle--they're great, IMHO. It's also worth revisiting the fellow who wrote it. There are a few videos of him performing it available on YouTube.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #321 on: September 05, 2020, 11:41:39 AM »
Hi all,
Here is Jerry Reed, once again, doing my favorite version of "City of New Orleans", which I just found. He was similar to Kenny Baker, in that he was comfortable exploring new sounds in Spanish tuning, as he does here and did on "That's All Right, Mama". Really nice singing, too. And that interlude before the last vocal phrase is worth the price of admission.

All best,
Johnm

Offline David Kaatz

« Reply #322 on: September 17, 2020, 10:43:14 AM »
Rick Ruskin, always tasteful.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #323 on: September 17, 2020, 11:56:07 AM »
More great musical talent oozing from the west coast.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #324 on: November 28, 2020, 08:14:15 PM »
Hi all,
Here is Jukka Perko's Jazztet, from Finland, at a live performance from a few years ago (he's the alto sax player) playing a Jimmy Van Heusen song, "Aren't You Glad You're You?". That's Teemu Viinikainen on guitar, and boy, is he great! The whole band is just a gas.

All best,
Johnm

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #325 on: December 02, 2020, 09:59:59 PM »
Thanks for that, John. You are certainly correct--They really know how to put a song across and Teemu Viinikainen is a great and very tasteful player, that's for sure!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 10:03:40 PM by Stuart »

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #326 on: December 02, 2020, 10:07:20 PM »
I'm really glad you enjoyed that, Stuart. I should say the band has a whole series of videos up on youtube from that gig, and another gig and the videos are uniformly excellent and entertaining. They're great players, both as soloists in in ensemble.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #327 on: December 24, 2020, 01:21:22 PM »
Hi all,
I don't know anything about Rita Payes, but this came up on my youtube feed, and it seems just about perfect to me. Evidently that is her mother playing the lead guitar parts. The whole thing is so lovely and lyrical.

All best,
Johnm

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #328 on: December 24, 2020, 01:33:38 PM »
That really is lovely.  I saw the trombone in the background, but was still surprised when she took the break with it for some reason.  Looks like she has some singles on Pandora.... that I'll check out.

Merry Christmas John!

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #329 on: December 24, 2020, 03:34:24 PM »
Merry Christmas to you too, John!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal