collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
He was a good cook too. He'd near cook his ass off! - Hammie Nixon, on hoboing with Jimmie Rodgers, from The Voice of the Blues

Author Topic: "Texas Fingerstyle Blues Guitar"  (Read 1903 times)

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
"Texas Fingerstyle Blues Guitar"
« on: March 10, 2020, 02:49:52 PM »
Hi all,
I just visited Stefan Grossman's Woodshed and saw an announcement that my new book, "Texas Fingerstyle Blues Guitar" has just been released, which is pretty exciting for me, as you can imagine.  The book lists for $24.95 and has twenty-seven songs in it, so that's less than $1.00 per song--you can't beat that with a stick!  Here are the songs in the book:
   Blind Lemon Jefferson:
   * Stocking Feet Blues
   * Bad Luck Blues
   * Easy Rider Blues
   * Right of Way Blues
   Willie Reed
   * Texas Blues
   Blind Willie Johnson
   * Let Your Light Shine One Me
   * Trouble will Soon Be Over
   * Keep Your Lamp Trimmed And Burning
   Little Hat Jones
   * Bye Bye Baby Blues
   * Kentucky Blues
   * Rolled From Side To Side Blues
   Funny Papa Smith
   * Seven Sisters Blues, Part 2
   * Whiskeyhead Blues
   Smith Casey
   * Shorty George
   * Santa Fe Blues
   Wallace Chains
   * My Poor Mother Keeps On Praying For Me
   Willie Lane
   * Too Many Women
   Lightnin' Hopkins
   * Thunder and Lightning Blues
   * Death Bells
   * Crawlin' King Snake
   Lil' Son Jackson
   * No Money, No Love
   * Gambler Blues
   Frankie Lee Sims
   * Lucy Mae Blues
   Mance Lipscomb
   * 'Bout A Spoonful
   * Charlie James
   * Shorty George
   * Ain't You Sorry
Several of these musicians have never had transcriptions published anywhere before.  In addition to having the transcriptions and lyrics, each song is preceded by playing tips, offering the fingerings and left hand economies that will make the transcriptions playable without a lot of experimentation and trying out of technical dead ends.  For more information, or to order the book, go to http://www.guitarvideos.com/CatalogueRetrieve.aspx?ProductID=11996125&A=SearchResult&SearchID=10592844&ObjectID=11996125&ObjectType=27#.XmgNR0NlDVq .  It is available in a download format, too.
All best,
Johnm
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 10:11:05 PM by Johnm »

Offline eric

Re: "Texas Fingerstyle Blues Guitar"
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 04:13:15 PM »
Congratulations, John.  There's some great players and great tunes on that list.  Some are new to me and I look forward to checking them out.
--
Eric

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 04:37:54 PM »
Looks great, John! Congrats!
Chris

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 04:41:48 PM »
Thanks for the good words, Eric and Chris!  A number of the more obscure players/tunes first turned up in the Miller's Breakdown thread, so if you go to the first page of that thread and scan the two pages where the tunes are indexed you should be able to find several of the tunes--certainly Wallace Chains' "My Poor Mother Keeps On Praying For Me", Willie Lane's "Too Many Women", Lightnin' Hopkins' "Crawlin' Blacksnake" and several others.  It might be easier just to do a search for any tune you're interested in at youtube, come to think of it.  The book will provide links to performances of all of the songs included in the book.
All best,
Johnm

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 11:57:26 AM »
Wow, what a set list! Many thanks to both you and Stefan Grossman for creating and selling these kinds of books, which help keep the names and music of people like Smith Casey, Wallace Chains, and Willie Lane alive.

Many months ago I purchased your lesson on Willie Reed's "Texas Blues" and put about a month's worth of effort into it. It's a challenging one for my skill level. The release of this book will help me put ass in chair for another go at it.

Lindy

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 12:08:16 PM »
Thanks, Lindy, and I think any time put in on learning "Texas Blues" is well worth it.  That lick Willie Reed played at the end of each verse with the hammer on the fifth string and the bend on the sixth string is worth the price of admission.  It didn't take me but about fifty years to get up the nerve to try and figure it out!

I really appreciate Stefan letting me acknowledge some of the less well-known players, like those you cited, in these books.  I think it is important to include some deserving players whom people, including fans of this music, may not have heard or heard of before.  The truth of the music is not confined to that portion of it which happened to become popular and gain some recognition.

All best,
Johnm

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 02:47:50 PM »
Well done, John. I looked over the song list and the product page at Stefan's site and it looks like a very high quality effort. But naturally I would have expected no less. As you point out, it's a very nice balance between songs by better known artists and songs of equal merit by lesser known musicians. Hopefully it will raise awareness of Texas Blues and those who played it. And of course I hope it will generate a deep appreciation for the love of the music, dedication and skill level required to produce such a valuable resource.

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 03:55:57 PM »
Thanks, Stuart!
All best,
Johnm

Offline harvey

• Howdy!
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 06:35:43 AM »
Ordered my copy John can't wait,  so many of my favorite songs in there ! thanks as always

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 06:52:48 AM »
That's great, Andrew!  I hope to see you at Euro Blues Week this summer.
All best,
Johnm

Offline matt milton

• Howdy!
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 04:39:34 PM »
ah I see 'Right of Way' blues is in there. I've been meaning to learn that one for a while...

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2020, 06:27:09 PM »
I know what you mean, Matt.  That's my favorite Lemon tune.
All best,
Johnm

Offline Forgetful Jones

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 06:56:20 AM »
Hi John-
What a book! Fantastic collection of songs. I just ordered a copy.

I've always thought that Funny Papa Smith was a little underrated. Great player with lots of original ideas lyrically and on guitar.

BLJ's Stocking Feet has that interesting interlude(?) about 40 seconds in that, as far as I know, is pretty unique  to country blues.

Smith Casey is someone who I've had minimal exposure to, but oh my lord, Santa Fe Blues is a powerhouse! That's one that I never want to end. I'll probably listen to it 50 times or more as I wait for the book delivery. Looking forward to learning it.

Cheers

Online Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 09:27:00 AM »
Thanks for the order, Forgetful Jones.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by some of the less well-known numbers, too.  The Wallace Chains song works a lot of the same territory as Ramblin' Thomas did when playing in G position in standard tuning, but with a lot of different wrinkles and the Willie Lane "Too Many Women" is a spectacular tour de force of thumb-lead playing in the right hand, somewhat akin to Buddy Moss, but with a Texas flavor.  And Frankie Lee Sims' "Lucy Mae" is one of the greatest dropped-D tunes ever, I think.  You'll have plenty to work on!
All best,
Johnm

Offline joe paul

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 09:50:37 AM »
Hello John,
Good to see the book's out, downloaded it and just had time to listen to some of the songs.
That Wallace Chains song is great.
What a nice, varied selection  - as the French say, there's plenty to eat and drink here.
Thanks for your work!

Tags: John Miller 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal