collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
The cruel irony is that the majority of "The People" can't stand the noise that comes out for more than a few seconds unless it's in the hands of a competent operator. This, combined with the common belief that anyone can play it right away (cue up "Oh Susanna") has created a nearly unbearable tension between the harmonica, its enthusiasts and the rest of humanity. I believe that this tension can be relieved and that the harmonica can take its rightful honored place in the post-apocalyptic world to come - Mark Graham, harmonica ace

Author Topic: JSP Boxed Sets--Blind Lemon & Others  (Read 32419 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
JSP Boxed Sets--Blind Lemon & Others
« on: August 19, 2003, 06:57:06 PM »
So I'm thinking I want to consolidate the Blind Lemon stuff I have spread out over numerous CDs, break down and buy the JSP. While I have most of Lemon's output, it's really spread out over too many discs with much repetition and so the JSP set is attractive. It's a pure rip off of the Documents vol 1-4, same track order and all, for a fraction of the price.

Those of you who have it, how does it sound? Have they cleaned up some of the Paramount and Document atrocities? Can you hear him in all his lemony goodness? The Yazoo "Best of" was very nicely done. I don't expect that level of clean-up. But is there any?

uncle bud

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: JSP Boxed Sets--Blind Lemon & Others
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2003, 12:14:42 PM »
Hey, UB,
I'm thinking of gettin' the BLJ set, too. I have the BWMcT set and it sounds great (finally heard the second and third versions of Broke down Engine). I don't have any Yazoo of Willie to compare to but its quite a bit cleaner than the one vol. of Document I have. There've been several discussions re: JSP on the Woodshed and they get kudos every time. Especially if the remastering is done by an R.T. Davies (if I remember correctly) He did the Jelly Roll Morton, and Louis Armstrong 5s and 7s sets, which are supposed to be stellar. I couldn't find any info on their site about which engineer did the remastering. I'll probably go for the Blind Blake, as well, eventually.
All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Online Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2003, 01:49:46 PM »
Dunno if you want to wait a week - but I ordered the box yesterday.  I figured it was time to replace my Yahoo BWJ cassettes. :P  ...which come to think of it, won't allow a true apple to apple comparison... so, I say just buy it.  $25 for 4 BWJ CD's?  How can you possibly go wrong?

cheers,
slack

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2003, 08:11:07 PM »
Agreed. Pretty much a no brainer. I was just curious as to whether they merely copied the Documents outright or cleaned them up. The JSP team have a reputation for doing good work in that regard, as waxwing notes re. the Jelly Roll and Armstrong collections.  Buying the Hot 5s and 7s on Columbia is supposedly a waste of $$ compared to the JSP, not just for price but for quality of remastering. (I have the Jelly Roll set and it's a fun one.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2003, 08:11:59 PM by uncle bud »

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2003, 10:38:01 PM »
UB, is there a recording of Sweet Substitute, or Substitution Blues on that set? I've only heard the Dave van Ronk version from the early '60s (...Sings the Blues), and have often looked for the original. I've never seen it on any Morton compilation. Thanks.
All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline frankie

• Old Refuge
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2003, 04:33:33 PM »
UB, is there a recording of Sweet Substitute, or Substitution Blues on that set?

Sweet Substitute isn't on that set, but is on this one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000001NO/qid=1061508342/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/002-1816062-4136857

The JSP set is a great deal if you're looking for Jelly's band recordings.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2003, 08:29:28 PM »
Yes, I have the Last Sessions disc Frank references above, and it's also worth getting.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2003, 11:07:23 PM »
Thanks, Frankie and UB. Man, a week doesn't go by without anoyher CD cropping up that I must have. Must be why I'm working all this overtime. But it wreaks havoc on my Guit time. Can't wait to hear the original version, though.
All for now.
John C.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2004, 03:44:25 PM »
Perhaps you have already been down this road, but I just picked JSP's 4 CD collection of Paramounts. Wow!
OK a lot of the stuff I have on vinyl  (at the bottom of the cupboard so not easily played) but there are some really interesting items and some real obscurities. We got Marshall Owens, Lonnie Clark (doing a piano based version of Broke Down Engine), George Hannah (only seen in the Defender ads never heard) etc. Mostly good sound too.

Phil

Offline Richard

• Drove this for 25 years!
    • weekendblues
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 12:15:26 PM »
 :o I'll have a look on the dreaded Amazon sounds interesting.

Sharpening your fingers ready for Exeter ;) Now I know which way up to hold the guitar I may take you up on your offer of a  short lesson if you are still brave and willing :-X
(That's enough of that. Ed)

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004, 01:25:56 PM »
Richard,

Red Lick have it.

Phil

Online Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2004, 10:32:21 AM »
Phil,

Thanks for the heads up on this set.  I'm only about half way through the set, but I agree, it is a great one. One of those 'gotta haves'!  I am especially enjoying the piano tracks.  One of Port Townsend's favorites, the one and only Guitar Queen Del Rey, takes piano blues and adapts them to guitar (she likes a challenge!) - I recognized one of the piano tracks from her arrangement of it - so that was a pleasant surprise.  A couple of noisy cuts, but I admire JSP for putting those tunes out there also... great stuff. 

The set is on the Weenie Juke and folks can sample tracks by request.

cheers,
slack

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2004, 12:39:45 PM »
I've just received this set after sampling it on the Juke and ordering through www.absound.ca. It is tremendous, absolutely great listening (with minor quibbles about performance notes errors etc). The music is the thing here. A really great collection of relatively obscure material. I have quite a few country blues CDs but there is a lot of material here I do not have. The selection is a little like walking into one of John Miller's classes at PT: what interesting tune is next? JSP deserve kudos for this one. Highly recommended purchase.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 09:24:09 AM »
Masters of Memphis Blues includes Furry Lewis, Frank Stokes (Beale St. Sheiks w/ Dan Sane and the Victor Recordings), some Gus Cannon (leftover tracks from their odd Sleepy John and Gus Cannon 2-CD set?), Robert Wilkins, Little Buddy Doyle, and Allen Shaw. Believe these are complete recording for Furry, Stokes, and Wilkins, so worth it in spades.

Texas Blues - complete Henry Thomas, Ramblin' Thomas, Willie Reed, Oscar Woods, Little Hat Jones, Black Ace, Smith Casey. A no brainer if you don't have this stuff.

Also, some I hadn't seen:

Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee

Eddie Lang and Joe Venuti

Plus one I just received:

Memphis Minnie - alas, they omit numerous Kansas Joe tracks on this set. Still pretty great, but a serious flaw to not include complete Minnie and Joe material.

Offline Montgomery

• Howdy!
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2004, 10:30:10 AM »
I believe they're going to do a Kansas Joe box seperately, or so I heard.  First they have to copy it from the Documents...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal