collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Rube puts a lot of weird moaning and groaning into this number and some fancy guitar playing, too. - Paramount ad for Rube Lacy's "Mississippi Jail House Groan"

Author Topic: Announcing the New Weenie Campbell YouTube Channel!  (Read 1741 times)

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
Announcing the New Weenie Campbell YouTube Channel!
« on: September 11, 2023, 09:58:33 PM »
Announcing the New Weenie Campbell YouTube Channel!

During some recent discussions among the moderators we realized that some of us had some interesting country blues video and audio that we would like to share with the Weenie Campbell community at large, so we have decided to start a YouTube channel.

You can find the channel at https://www.youtube.com/@WeenieCampbell and also under the Quick Menu on the left side of the site.

Our intention isn't to make this a one-stop shop for country blues or to duplicate the many channels already out there with great material, but to showcase some unusual items, like out-of-print albums, concert recordings, interviews and other material that might not otherwise have an easy-to-find place to live on the internet.

One thing we won’t be posting: performances by Weenie Campbell forum members – everyone has their own channels for that and videos of course can be shared here in The Back Porch and wherever else on the forum is appropriate.

We may post items that can be found elsewhere if we can post them in better quality.

Please subscribe!
We urge you to subscribe to the new channel and please share it on any other appropriate groups or forums we participate in.

In addition, we hope to use YouTube to bring more visitors to the forum and to the musical and lyrical resources on Weeniepedia.

We hope you enjoy this addition to Weenie Campbell and if you would like to submit anything for consideration to be included on the channel, we’re working on guidelines and submittal instructions and we’ll have more information on that soon!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 06:54:18 AM by Slack »

Offline eric

Re: Announcing the New Weenie Campbell YouTube Channel!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 08:05:16 PM »
Excellent, thanks!
--
Eric

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 06:26:47 PM »
I guess I'm unclear on the concept. If this is not a channel to which currently performing WC members can be posted, why are other currently performing bands being promoted by the WC YouTube channel? If the channel is to be used for promotional videos in this way, how do bands or performers qualify for the service?

Wax
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 07:17:53 AM »
I think the idea wax, is to come up with a more curated play list as opposed to repeating what has already been posted on the Back Porch - e.g. to come up with something for weenies, not by weenies. Make sense?

edit: However, you bring up a good point.  We need to decide whether to include current performing artists, as it can be problematic.  We'll keep you posted.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 07:51:57 AM by Slack »

Offline jed

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 02:07:23 PM »
What a fine idea (if still at the mercy of a behemoth that is finally receiving the beginnings of appropriate attention from our U.S. Department of Justice - but hey, canned heat is legal for all until it gets a bottle with a label).
ok then:  http://jed.net

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 06:44:24 PM »
I think the idea wax, is to come up with a more curated play list as opposed to repeating what has already been posted on the Back Porch - e.g. to come up with something for weenies, not by weenies. Make sense?

edit: However, you bring up a good point.  We need to decide whether to include current performing artists, as it can be problematic.  We'll keep you posted.

That's exactly my point, Slack. From the initial post it sounds like the 6 members of the steering committee (I'm including Rivers who is listed as Tech Support) are going to share videos they own, but that's about it. The only curatorial criteria indicated is that the performer cannot be a member of Weenie Campbell. And then, after several seemingly appropriate videos, a slew of videos are posted of a current band that has dozens of videos already up on YT? I'm in favor of supporting other players in the music community, but why not share a video of Lightnin' Wells (a regular poster) that someone might have recorded at PT years back, and maybe just came across in their files, just because he is a member?

Look, I don't care about my own videos, but I think there may be members who are worthy of being seen, even if they aren't looking to have a career or whatever, and might benefit from the exposure. And are other Weenies able to offer videos they have recorded of non-weenie musicians? I imagine monetization is an issue that must be dealt with, making soliciting videos a tricky issue. It's great if WC can develop a small income trickle to help support the site, but what portion goes to the performers posted? That kind of thing.

Obviously there are a lot of complications. just wondering where this is going.

Wax
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2023, 02:33:43 PM »
Wax, we're still discussing on where this is going and what form this will take.  As you noted, it is a tricky issue.  Maybe we were a little premature to put out the idea -- but we wanted to start building the channel. 

I'm not sure where you got the idea that it is only SC members sharing what they own - Chris was very clear on the intention:

Our intention isn't to make this a one-stop shop for country blues or to duplicate the many channels already out there with great material, but to showcase some unusual items, like out-of-print albums, concert recordings, interviews and other material that might not otherwise have an easy-to-find place to live on the internet

And also mentioned that some guidelines are forthcoming for weenies to submit.

We've got the Back Porch for Weenies to post video or audio in and Performance Corner for Pros like Lightin' to post in.  We're really not trying to diss weenies by excluding them.. again it's tricky re: copyright and permissions and I imagine, if history is any indication, we'll pick a conservative route that does not require a lot of monitoring.  It's a hobby for us all after all.

Offline Lignite

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2023, 09:20:44 PM »
How did I get involved in this?

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2023, 09:45:05 PM »
Good question, you'll have to ask waxwing.

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2023, 07:49:13 PM »
One thing we won’t be posting: performances by Weenie Campbell forum members – everyone has their own channels for that and videos of course can be shared here in The Back Porch and wherever else on the forum is appropriate.

I guess my problem is that I don't understand why the steering committee felt that this needed to be stated. I feel it is condescending to all Weenies and absolutely unnecessary.

Yes, those of us who want videos on YouTube or wherever are obviously capable of putting them up on our own channels and posting them on the back porch if we want them on WC. We all know that.

The description which you quote makes it very clear, and my assumption was that this would primarily be focusing on country blues artists of the past, and, without needing to be said, not Weenies or any other current performers. But when I saw these modern videos it seemed to indicate that, well, anyone could be posted, except, as stated clearly, not Weenies.

I did miss the sentence at the end about appropriate offerings from other Weenies.

I do think this is a good idea but would really like to see that sentence deleted.

Wax

P.S. Lightnin', you're involved because if I had a video of you playing Mississippi Blues in the hangar at my first PT about 20 years ago, I would really want to recommend that it be posted. Alas, I was pre cell phone at that point.
George Bernard Shaw

Joseph Heller, Catch-22

CD on YT

Offline Lignite

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2023, 04:35:36 PM »
Thanx Wax. I like to see that too if it existed.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2023, 12:25:48 PM »
Wax, the intention with saying we don't want to post performances from Weenie members wasn't intended to offend anyone, just to simply state that we don't want to duplicate efforts that many folks are doing/can do for themselves, and mostly no one who's dealing with this on the back end wants to be in a position to be a "gatekeeper" of any material involving our members.

So as far as performances from Port Townsend, etc., I would say please go ahead and post those in Back Porch, Performance Corner, etc. – all that material is of course very welcome on the site, we just don't want to be presiding over it.

Based on the discussion here, I think it's absolutely necessary to have stated why we don't want to have those posts. As far as contemporary performers, personally I have no problem with that if there aren't any copyright issues and we're not duplicating content.

I hope that clarifies things somewhat – we do need to post how folks can submit posts for the channel soon; I've had some personal things that have kept me off the site for a bit the past couple of weeks. But our intention is certainly to solicit submissions within the guidelines that we established.

Chris

Offline Blues Vintage

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2023, 07:40:57 AM »

Weenie Campbell YouTube Channel Guidelines

https://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=12962.0

Tags: YouTube 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal