collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
...and next up is Lovestick Steve... [and the crowd roars] - Thomas Corlett, Port Townsend 96, emcee at participants concert

Author Topic: Document CDs--availability, sound quality, etc.  (Read 40900 times)

Offline waxwing

• Wax's YouTube Channel
Re: Document CDs--availability, sound quality, etc.
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2006, 09:05:40 AM »
Thanks Gary. I haven't been to Amoeba in ages. Since the early '90s when I was buying every Rock LP I couldn't afford in the '60s.-G-

All for now.
John C.
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
Joseph Heller, Catch-22

http://www.youtube.com/user/WaxwingJohn
CD on YT

Offline MTJ3

• Howdy!
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2006, 10:39:01 AM »
Amoeba in SF is good and Amoeba in Berkeley is OK as a source of Document CDs, as well as somewhat obscure CDs on other labels, but I've never seen anything like the Amoeba "mother ship" in Hollywood, CA, either as a "record store" generally or as a source of Document CDs in particular.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2006, 11:18:34 AM »
Document itself can be a good source for some Document CDs.  Go to their website and click on Specials at the top of the page.  There's a lot of stuff there - currently 128 titles.  Some, listed at  ?1.99 (about $4.00 US) appear to be the original versions of CDs that have since been remastered.  There's some non-remastered stuff at  ?1.99, maybe they're in the process of being remastered.  And there are some listed at  ?5.99 (about $11.50 US) that are specials listed in Document's October newsletter. 

Now don't everybody go buying the last copies of the ones I want to get!    :D

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2006, 04:12:56 PM »
Actually there are numerous titles shown with those new colour covers. Don't know if that is a result of their web database simply outputing the new graphics or whether these new versions are being sold cheap. There are numerous titles worth a good look there.

I'm trying to remember whether we ever settled the question of whether Document is remastering or simply repackaging most of the time.

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2006, 03:03:52 PM »
I just got my order from arhoolie.com.  Six titles ordered, all six delivered.  Admittedly it's a small sample size, but it looks like what they show as available they actually have in stock.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2006, 06:37:14 AM »
Earlier in the thread we'd discussed Sam Collins on Document being back in print, but it's now only available as a download. For those who've been looking for Sam Collins, the Yazoo version is also out of print. The fellow over at http://prewarblues.org, however, is giving Sam Collins seekers an early Xmas present. You may want to check it out.

M.Vidrine

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2006, 06:11:59 PM »
Just a heads up - our recent Document fills have been excellent including many titles that have been out of print for over a year (Sam Collins, all of the Bo Carters, the Charlie Jackson series, Gus Cannon etc.). I've been hit hard over the holidays, but there is no reason for me to believe we'll have trouble re-stocking!

Also wanted to note that many of the replenished titles seem to be short runs on CD-R? Personally, I'm not bothered by it as the packaging & sound quality seems exactly as it was previously.

Malcolm

Offline natterjack

« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2006, 01:37:24 PM »
Just got Gary Davis complete early works for ?1.99 and the "never let the same be sting you twice" three CD set for ?9.99 direct from Document.

One of the three "same bee" CDs was a CD-R

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2006, 02:23:26 PM »
Just a heads up - our recent Document fills have been excellent including many titles that have been out of print for over a year (Sam Collins, all of the Bo Carters, the Charlie Jackson series, Gus Cannon etc.). I've been hit hard over the holidays, but there is no reason for me to believe we'll have trouble re-stocking!

Also wanted to note that many of the replenished titles seem to be short runs on CD-R? Personally, I'm not bothered by it as the packaging & sound quality seems exactly as it was previously.

Malcolm

Malcolm, thanks for the info. Good to know stuff is coming back in stock. I find the idea of using CD-R a little odd myself, but if that's what it takes to keep things available, so be it.

Natterjack, I wonder if your CD-R in "Same Bee" is related to my order of that set, in which I received a set missing a disc. They sent along a missing disc separately. I wondered where they'd got it from... ;)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2006, 03:11:02 PM »
I'm under the distinct impression some CD-R's are not as robust as CDs so rip 'em fast boys.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2006, 01:25:08 PM »
Could they be on Music CD-R's, which I understand need to be burned in audio CD recorders (i.e., not computer CD drives)?

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2006, 08:21:48 AM »
Could they be on Music CD-R's, which I understand need to be burned in audio CD recorders (i.e., not computer CD drives)?

Obviously, I can't speak for every computer CD drive / software configuration, but in general music CD-Rs (the ones that have "compact disc digital audio" printed on them) can be burned in computer CD drives. It is the "commercial" (vs. more expensive "professional") CD recorders that are part of one's audio / stereo system that will only write to music CD-Rs and not "regular" CD-Rs (the ones that have "compact disc recordable" printed on them). The more expensive "professional" CD recorders will write to both CD-R formats.

Here's a site that has some info:

http://www.osta.org/technology/cdqa.htm

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2007, 07:19:56 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, Stuart.   :)

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2007, 04:10:04 PM »
Commercial CDs are coated with transparent acrylic(?) on the data side. According to one of my audio course tutors it's easier to wreck a CD by scratching the label side. I dunno how true that might be. I'm assuming CD-Rs, being more of an ad hoc creation than a manufacturing run, are uncoated. But basically I have no idea, just a distinct impression.

I have a bunch of, um, unauthorized recordings here. They're all completely f*cked, with very little effort on my part.

Offline blueshome

• Step on it!
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2007, 03:00:59 PM »
I just received 3 units direct from Document including "Same Bee", all were on  regular CD's.

Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal