collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Now I am going to make a statement here. I don't know whether it fits into the category of other people's statements or not. But whether it fits into their category or whether it doesn't, it obviously fits into some category. So in that respect, it is no different from their statements. However, let me try making my statement... - Chuang Tzu: Basic Writings, Translated by Burton Watson (New York: Columbia University Press, 1964)

Author Topic: new blues images calendar in the works  (Read 2661 times)

Offline unezrider

new blues images calendar in the works
« on: June 30, 2010, 04:52:02 PM »
hello friend,
here's some good news i stumbled upon today.
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Blues-Artwork-1920s-Calendar/dp/B003ONR2U6
glad to see these still coming out. i only wish that a book of all these old ads could be compiled.  ;)
chris
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline LD50

Re: new blues images calendar in the works
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 05:55:37 PM »
hello friend,
here's some good news i stumbled upon today.
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Blues-Artwork-1920s-Calendar/dp/B003ONR2U6
glad to see these still coming out. i only wish that a book of all these old ads could be compiled.  ;)
chris

Yaaaaaaay!!!!!! Maybe our publicizing the 2010 calendar last summer finally convinced Tefteller that it would be economically viable to keep putting these out!

Oooh, and it's got Jabo Williams' Kokomo Blues, Pts. 1 & 2 -- a *great* song that's never been properly mastered before...

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 06:25:21 PM »
[Mr. Burns]Ehhhhhhhxcellent.[/Mr. Burns]

Offline Pan

• Howdy!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 04:25:45 AM »
Great news!!! Thanks for the heads-up!

Cheers

Pan

Offline CF

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 07:24:03 AM »
'Lonesome Home Blues Test [Unreleased] - Tommy Johnson'

Well sir, that's a sale right there.
Stand By If You Wanna Hear It Again . . .

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 09:05:43 AM »
The two Jaybird Coleman cuts look great, too!

Offline J. H. Deeley

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 07:59:41 PM »
Ordered two copies of the 2011 calendar today. I might order a few more for Xmas presents.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 07:48:52 AM »
Thought I would add the tracklist to this thread, so I don't keep having to remind myself what's on it.

1. Sissy Man Blues - Kokomo Arnold
2. Pea Vine Blues - Charley Patton
3. Billy Lyons And Stack O'Lee - Furry Lewis
4. Rabbit Foot Blues - Blind Lemon Jefferson
5. Labor Blues - Tom Dickson
6. Dentist Chair Blues Parts 1 & 2 - Hattie McDaniel and Papa Charlie Jackson    
7. Cherry Ball Blues - Skip James
8. Hey! Lawdy Mama/The France Blues - Papa Harvey Hull and Long Cleve Reed
9. I'll Be Gone, Long Gone - Mississippi Sheiks
10. Black Cat Hoot Owl Blues - Ma Rainey
11. Ko Ko Mo Blues [Part 1 & 2] - Jabo Williams
12. Will The Coffin Be Your Santa Claus? - Reverend J.M. Gates
13. Tom Rushen Blues - Charley Patton
14. Cannon Ball Blues [Alternate Take] - Furry Lewis
15. Dry Land Blues - Furry Lewis
16. Lonesome Home Blues [Test] - Tommy Johnson
17. Save Your Money/Let These Women Go - Rabbits Foot Williams (Jaybird Coleman)
18. Mistreatin' Mama - Rabbits Foot Williams (Jaybird Coleman)

A number of Furry Lewis tracks on this one. Has the alt take of Cannon Ball Blues appeared elsewhere before? It's not on the Document, Yazoo or JSP releases.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 07:58:17 AM »
You anticipated one of my questions, uncle bud.  Based on Tefteller's previous calendar CDs, should one assume that the various long-available tracks included, like "Rabbit's Foot" are being offered in previously unreleased, better copies than have ever been available in the past?
All best,
Johnm

Offline jpeters609

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 08:17:21 AM »
Hasn't a test pressing of "Lonesome Home Blues" by Tommy Johnson been issued before (as on "Masters of the Delta Blues: the Friends of Charley Patton" on Yazoo)? Is this a newly discovered different take?
Jeff

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 08:21:11 AM »
To the best of my ears' abilities, some of the tracks from previous calendars that also appeared on the latest Yazoo releases -- like the Best of Charley Patton or Best of Blind Lemon Jefferson, or some of the compilations like the multi-volume Times Ain't Like They Used to Be -- sound like the same Rich Nevins-remastered transfers and simply appear on both products. I haven't compared all of them. And then some tracks that haven't appeared on those recent Yazoos are newly remastered for the calendar, or better copies of the record have been found etc. And of course any newly discovered records.

In the case of Furry's Cannon Ball Blues, there is no alternate take listed in Blues and Gospel Records. I haven't checked if it appears on any of the Yazoo Times Ain't Like They Used to Be series. Not on the ones I have.

Offline CF

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 03:18:16 PM »
Hi jpeters, I don't know for sure but I believe we have two takes already of this tune from Aug. 31st, 1928 & this cut from the calendar looks to be a test pressing of same song (?). So we now have three takes of Johnson's 1928 Victor version of 'Lonesome Home Blues ' & still only one of his 1929 Paramount version. Can anyone confirm this? This 1929 version is a real beaut & I was hoping that this was another pressing of this tune. The one we have doesn't sound so good.

Offline LD50

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 07:55:41 AM »
There are three versions of Lonesome Home Blues from Tommy Johnson, one from Paramount and two unissued takes from Victor. The version on this Tefteller CD is the same Victor take as issued on Yazoo's old CD Masters of the Delta Blues - Friends of Charlie Patton. The other Victor take (#2, I think) has been issued by Document, but never Yazoo. (That's okay tho, the two takes are extremely similar.) The Paramount version was on the OOOOOOLD Yazoo LP Jackson Blues, and on all the subsequent Documents, but I don't think Yazoo has ever put it out on any new CD.

The CD that went with the calendar this year was really nice, but it does have massive duplication with other Yazoo CDs, sometimes on quite recent ones. (I get the impression that not many songs were newly mastered for this CD.) Some of the more notable exceptions are Jaybird Coleman's Save Your Money ? Let These Women Go and Jabo Williams' Ko Ko Mo Blues ? Parts 1 & 2. The latter song was the main reason I bought this CD, since I'm a huge Jabo Williams fan. It's a fantastic song but pretty noisy since the original 78 is insanely rare.

The only previous Yazoo issue of Furry Lewis's Cannon Ball Blues was on their old Furry Lewis: In His Prime: 1927-1928 LP/CD. The take on this Tefteller CD frankly sounds identical to the previously reissued version that I'm familiar with. I don't know what the story is there.

The version of Patton's Tom Rushen Blues/Peavine Blues on this CD is apparently taken from a new E+ copy of the 78 that was just recently found, which is in better shape than all the previous copies. Peavine is less noisy on this CD than I'm used to it being.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 07:59:17 AM by LD50 »

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 08:43:35 AM »
Thanks for the info, LD50.

Offline CF

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 09:17:22 AM »
Yeah, thanks LD50 . . . so I already have that take of 'Lonesome Home' on the Yazoo & a JSP box set.

Tags: Blues Images 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal