collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Don't die until you're dead - Mississippi John Hurt

Author Topic: New Son House 1964 live recording  (Read 4218 times)

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
New Son House 1964 live recording
« on: March 03, 2009, 07:41:38 AM »
Apparently there will be a new CD of previously unreleased Son House material coming from Fuel 2000 Records, according to Dick Waterman:

There is a new Son House live recording coming on Fuel 2000 in a few months. I know that you probably think you have enough live Son House but this one is different.

It was done in October, 1964, during his first national tour following his rediscovery in June of that year.

The late Pete Welding arranged for Norman Dayron to record three concerts. He brought along good professional equipment including a special microphone to pick up Son's conversation because he would slump back in his chair and speak softly.

These are basically Son's first concerts for white people in his life. His story are funny and blues fans who know his emotional voice will be surprised that his hands were pretty quick on the guitar in 1964.

Bill Dahl is doing the notes and I'll come forth with some never seen photographs.

I think you will find this to be a more robust and stronger Son House that you have ever heard before.

Offline doctorpep

Re: New Son House 1964 live recording
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 08:41:09 AM »
This is going to be awesome! I hope he does some songs that I haven't heard him do.
"There ain't no Heaven, ain't no burning Hell. Where I go when I die, can't nobody tell."

http://www.hardluckchild.blogspot.com/

Offline jostber

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 02:34:51 AM »
Anyone knows when this is up for release?

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 06:40:05 AM »

It was done in October, 1964, during his first national tour following his rediscovery in June of that year.

The late Pete Welding arranged for Norman Dayron to record three concerts.
I wonder if three concerts at any one location were the norm back then. In November 1964 House performed at three venues in Chicago one of which, University of Chicago (21st), was also recorded by Dayron.

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
Was this recording ever released: New Son House 1964 live recording
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 07:40:58 AM »
There was a thread a while back about concert recordings by Son House form 1964 being released.  Did this ever happen?  Where can one get them?

Thanks,

RobBob

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 08:45:42 AM »
I merged the two threads. Don't know the answer to the question myself.

Offline jostber

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 11:20:01 AM »
Here is a reference from last year:

http://handmemytravelinshoes.blogspot.com/2009/03/new-son-house-album.html

It's not up at the Fuel 2000 web site yet:

http://www.fuel2000.com/blues.html

Maybe send a mail to them and ask if there is a release soon?

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 11:29:26 AM »
Boy, in a world full of bad blues record company websites, that Fuel site is one of the most useless. Don't any of these people have teenagers who can say, "Dad, your website blows. Get some help."

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 12:54:51 PM »
Boy, in a world full of bad blues record company websites, that Fuel site is one of the most useless. Don't any of these people have teenagers who can say, "Dad, your website blows. Get some help."
It really is pretty bad, but at least you don't have to scroll three feet to the right like on the mind-bendingly awful JSP website.

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 03:39:53 PM »
Really amazing that folks still hand code HTML (I assume that is why they are so bad) - when there are so many tools and free open source programs to make a website simple and effective.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 06:15:05 PM »
Bit-streaming down a socket connection is much more satisfying.

Offline banjochris

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 07:18:12 PM »
Bit-streaming down a socket connection is much more satisfying.

But illegal in several Southern states unless you're at least 21.

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 09:05:34 AM »
IT's OK to do at 18 here in South Carolina where the age of consent is something like 14.

Offline doctordet

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 12:17:30 PM »
I played harp with Son at one of his Oberlin concerts, maybe this one.  Does anyone have any updates on this release?  I emailed Dick Waterman, but haven't heard back from him about this recording. The original message follows.  Thanks for any help!

Apparently there will be a new CD of previously unreleased Son House material coming from Fuel 2000 Records, according to Dick Waterman:

There is a new Son House live recording coming on Fuel 2000 in a few months. I know that you probably think you have enough live Son House but this one is different.

The late Pete Welding arranged for Norman Dayron to record three concerts. He brought along good professional equipment including a special microphone to pick up Son's conversation because he would slump back in his chair and speak softly.

These are basically Son's first concerts for white people in his life. His story are funny and blues fans who know his emotional voice will be surprised that his hands were pretty quick on the guitar in 1964.

Bill Dahl is doing the notes and I'll come forth with some never seen photographs.

I think you will find this to be a more robust and stronger Son House that you have ever heard before.

Report to moderator    Logged 

Offline jostber

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 11:38:51 PM »
Would be great if this could be released around the time the Bio on Son House is launched in June/July this year:

http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/CulturalStudies/AfricanAmericanStudies/?view=usa&ci=9780195395570

Tags: Son House 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal