collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I never could hardly learn no music by nobody trying to show me... - Fred McDowell

Author Topic: Bluesjournal blogs  (Read 6943 times)

Offline Bluesjournal

• Blues Journal! Your daily fix of blues
    • Blues Journal
Bluesjournal blogs
« on: March 03, 2013, 10:56:12 AM »
Johnny Dyer with Mark Hummel - Rolling Fork Revisited: Here's the place to read about it: http://bluesjournal.wordpress.com/2013/03/03/johnny-dyer-with-mark-hummel/

Offline Bluesjournal

• Blues Journal
Re: Bluesjournal blogs
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 02:32:34 PM »
Read about Big Jon Short's album 34 Special. Go to: http://bluesjournal.wordpress.com/2013/03/06/big-jon-short/

Offline Bluesjournal

• Blues Journal

Offline Bluesjournal

• Blues Journal
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 02:22:34 PM »
Scott H. Biram...Ring a bell? Read about him at: http://bluesjournal.wordpress.com/2013/03/13/scott-h-biram/

Offline Bluesjournal

• Blues Journal
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 03:45:50 AM »
Curious about Chris Whiteley? Read about one of his CD's at: http://bluesjournal.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/chris-whiteley-2/

Offline Prof Scratchy

• Howdy!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 04:20:19 AM »
Hi Bluesjournal. I am about as curious about Chris as he is about me. Not very. Also I don't come here for plugs and promos. So please go away.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Tom Rushen

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 05:36:16 AM »
A review of the 6 posts that Bluesjournal has submitted shows that each and every one of them is peddling/promoting an album.

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 07:42:55 AM »
Bluesjournal,
Stop posting promotional pieces about present-day artists to The Main Forum.  Such posts should be to the Performance Corner or Down The Dirt Road if you're supplying a link.  We're getting sick of moving your posts. 
Sincerely,
Johnm

Offline Bluesjournal

• Blues Journal
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 01:08:21 PM »

Offline Bluesjournal

• Blues Journal
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 04:32:00 AM »
Delta Time by Hans Theessink and Terry Evans on Blues Journal:
http://bluesjournal.wordpress.com/2013/03/20/hans-theessink-terry-evans-feat-ry-cooder/

Offline Bluesjournal

• Blues Journal
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 01:54:12 AM »
If you're curious about Lurrie Bell's album "The Devil Ain't Got No Music" then go to Blues Journal and read about it. And, if you like...write a few lines of what you think about the CD before you leave.

http://bluesjournal.wordpress.com/2013/03/21/lurrie-bell/

Offline Bunker Hill

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 02:30:25 AM »
Not that I'd ever thought I'd see this artist mentioned here but it rekindles good memories of the one and first time I saw Bell perform in Britain.

Lurrie Bell, The Onslow, Southampton 17/12/89

In 1965 I went to see Buddy Guy perform at "Klooks Kleek" (a London club) and from that day to this I've yet to see Guy play in Britain and give his all as he did that evening all those years ago.  It was as if he were playing to a Chicago club clientele and managed to sound "just like his records" ? even with a bunch of Brits backing him.  [laugh]

The point of this reminiscence is that Lurrie Bell's show at the Onslow was on a par with that aforementioned performance. Bell could have been in Chicago with his regular band as have been in Southampton with Bob Pearce and his Blues Band ? if there had been a 'live' recording of the event I would challenge anyone to tell otherwise.  O.K., so Lurrie's material was far from original (mainly B.B. King inspired) but it obviously all came from within; heartfelt, honest and emotional.  He had the crowd at the Onslow hanging on every word sung or note wrung from his guitar.  The high spot being his rendition of Buddy Guy?s 'A Man And The Blues', with its striking image of "drinking some gasoline, strike me a match and blow my fool self up in steam", which had me reflecting that Buddy was Lurrie's age (31) when he recorded that song and had better look to his laurels whilst Chicago boasts a Lurrie Bell.  From what I witnessed at the Onslow, Bell is to Chicago blues today what Guy was then; he?s that good.

A final word of praise should go to the band, especially Pete Catlin, a last minute draftee to replace a 'flu stricken Pete Harris.  Catlin managed to 'follow' Lurrie perfectly (even during 'Woke Up This Morning', notorious for its tempo changes) and obviously gained Bell's respect for the effort exerted.

Next time Lurrie Bell visits the Onslow be there whatever the cost, it'll be worth it if only to see the pub's landlady dancing on the tables.  Would I lie? (Blues In The South 36, January 1990)

Offline Bluesjournal

• Blues Journal
Janiva Magness
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 05:54:10 AM »
My thoughts about Janiva Magness's CD, "Stronger for It". Go to:

http://bluesjournal.wordpress.com/2013/03/26/janiva-magness-7/

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
Re: Janiva Magness
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 06:16:08 AM »
Time for a ban?

Offline Stumblin

• Got the Blues, can't be satisfied
Re: Janiva Magness
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 07:03:15 AM »
Time for a ban?
I'd agree to that.
The guy has been asked politely to stop spamming us and has obviously ignored that request. We should show him equal respect, he's earned it.

Offline Bluesjournal

• Blues Journal
Precious Bryant
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 01:51:03 PM »
Read about the late Precious Bryant and her CD "The Truth" on http://bluesjournal.wordpress.com/2013/03/26/precious-bryant-2/

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 07:04:05 PM »
The problem most bloggers face is that sooner or later they realize they're talking to themselves, which, along with hair growing on the palms of your hands, is the first sign of madness.

As Slack mentioned Bluesjournal, this here topic is set up as repository for your blog posts. Post them here or you will probably be banished at some point, since we're pretty tired of having to move them. In fact you might be banished anyway at your current rate.

To paraphrase someone's comments about self realization workshops back in the Seventies, the word 'blog' encapsulates everything that's gone wrong with the world in the last few years. Wordpress has a lot to answer for.

Offline Bluesjournal

• Blues Journal
Manitoba Hal
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2013, 09:04:03 AM »
Curious about Manitoba Hal's coming album "Devil on the Wall" well, here's your chance to read about it. Go to: 

http://bluesjournal.wordpress.com/2013/03/29/manitoba-hal-2/

Offline bnemerov

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2013, 12:44:07 PM »
Administrative-type Weenies,

Can you please make this guy go away?

signed,
Faithful Subscriber

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 07:18:52 PM »
Faithful Subscriber, yes indeed we can. He seems to have STFU though. Fingers crossed.

Offline Bluesjournal

• Blues Journal
Svante Sj?blom & the Sailors
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 04:47:00 AM »
Now is the time to find out more about one of the rising blues stars from Sweden. Svante Sj?blom.

Go to:http://bluesjournal.wordpress.com/2013/04/04/svante-sjoblom-the-sailors/

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
Re: Svante Sj?blom & the Sailors
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 04:49:37 AM »
OK, Bluesjournal, last damn warning. You are about to be banned from this site.

Offline Norfolk Slim

• Moonshine - Available at Bandcamp now...
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 06:23:49 AM »
I heartily agree with Uncle Bud's sentiments...

However I wouldn;t want anyone to overlook the subject of his post on this occasion.  Svanta is an artist worth googling and investigating (perhaps not via Blues journal's site!)

He came on a scholarship to the EBA Bluesweek on the first year I was there as a youngster.  He came back a couple of years ago, with a huge smooth voice, and hugely impressive guitar playing.

This guy was playing RJ better than I ever will, before he was 18 years old.  Good luck to him!

Offline Slack

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2013, 06:38:56 AM »
He's been spamming the facebook site as well. 

Some fellows cannot take a hint. I've lost patience and banned him both places.  NS, start a topic on Svanta if you'd like!

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal