collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
I swore to myself I wasn't writing another goddamned broken-hearted love song, but then my lover took flight and I found myself alone, worn out, disillusioned, and heartbroken in a way I hadn't known before. The future was looking like an exhaustingly long walk through a knee-deep tunnel of shit ending in death, so, it seemed like it wasn't going to be an overly joyous next record after all - Gill Landry on making Love Rides A Dark Horse

Author Topic: New Bully of the Town - Puckett/Geremia  (Read 8875 times)

Offline thumbstyle

Re: New Bully of the Town - Puckett/Geremia
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2005, 08:35:01 PM »
Great job on the audio lesson, Uncle Bud! Careful though, you're treading on John Miller's turf -- he might have to send some "associates" to Montreal to "have a talk" with you.  8)

KyReeler

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2005, 11:19:59 PM »
Hello all,

Thumbstyle asked for information on the Tin Pan Alley / Rural music connection and the song "Moving Day" came up.
? Reply #17 on: January 03, 2005, 10:35:05 pm ?

Three different mp3 rips of the song, all of Victor-16110, by Arthur Collins in 1906 were (and most likely still are) on one of the (27+) FTP servers of The Internet Archive (www.archive.org). I don't remember if I found it using an ftp client, or search from the http site. Perhaps, wisely, there are a (large) number of uploaded files in several formats and varying bit rates that front door searchs didn't locate, you can also fill up about any size hard-drive you can afford in jiffy time with broadband...is this how one spells tetrabytes?? ;D If only I had found a copy of Columbia A Series A-0299 "Moving Day" by Bob Roberts, recorded 12/??/05 [FX - long sigh].

--- Now the real reason for this message [FX-solo bass drum heard in the distance, getting closer.]

Mike Billo replied to Thumbnail
? Reply #26 on: January 04, 2005, 10:20:33 am ?

"I did an internet search on this song and "Moving day" and the covers to the original sheet music is incredibly racist.
I guess that these songs may have come more out of the Minstrel Show tradition (which was still active at the time) than from Broadway."

Thumbstyle's question is very valid and Mike's answer might be very accurate as I haven't found where 'Moving Day' came from but I'll cast a swag for TPA since I have heard Collin's version [F/X longer sigh] but not Bob Roberts,? however the real answer Thumbstyle on the question tin pan alley/rural is "42". You have to understand the question before you can underatand the answer. The subject is incredibly complex and runs from at least 1832 to 19xx 2xxx, and when you get down to it from 4004 B.C. to....

While trying to create a response that makes sense, hopefully fits on one screen, or at least not choke a server (does 1 out of 3 count), I requested two tunes by Sam McGee, which actually shed intense light on the subject, increased my deep respect for Sam McGee as a musician and a moved him above any other white southerner who recorded during the 'Golden Age" of Old Time String Band music as a person.

[FX-bass drum player arrives,]
Bloodnok: Ooo - I say - have you seen a band go this way?
Seagoon: No, I'm sorry, I've only just arrived here.
Bloodnok:Oh, I must find them - they might be playing a different tune from me by now

I invite any and all comments from forum members on these two songs:

Sam McGee - Rufus Blossom
Sam McGee - Old Masters Runaway

After seeing the responses I will attempt to agree, backstep, conjol, defend. explain, fubar, gibber, hrumph, i.e. etc. and maybe give more examples.

Best regards and do listen before responding.

P.S.

Please do not send me an e-mail unless requested, the address is valid, and I might check my (only) mail box again sometime this month, but I just cleared it out to find my forum actvation and the 30 megs of space won't fill up again until after tne monsoon season (October). Plus this computer doesn't have a spell checker and to get to here took me about ten hours (I'd make $51.50 if my employer would only pay me to do this >:D)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 02:13:48 PM by Johnm »

Offline bluzman

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2011, 10:23:50 PM »
Here is Paul playing this live with a nice story about it too.
Not timely but it's here now.

http://www.fishheads.net/music/BullyOfTheTown.mp3

Offline LB

• Ga
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2011, 02:39:04 PM »
Thanks for the musical heads up. And the mp3. I may have to check that CD out. New CDs have to be pretty damned awesome before I buy them these days.

I've got a ton of Riley Puckett music on mp3 and a bunch of that type stuff. It's certainly a whole other sound than this rendition.

Man that mp3 performance clip reminds me nothing will sharpen your audience chatting skills more than owning a 12 string. Lots of tuning practice....

Remind me not to put Janet Reno in my songs :)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2011, 03:06:13 PM »
I heard Paul do this version live back when it was timely. I think its great that he allowed his politics into his music. It made me like him even more. :)
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov (1899 - 1977)

http://www.youtube.com/user/MuckOVision

Offline LB

• Ga
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2011, 05:00:33 PM »
I'm not sure about politics, I just hated the mental picture of Janet Reno in the middle of a song I was enjoying. One second thoughts of a cool old tune and incredible tone and then Waco out of nowhere ;)

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2011, 08:48:35 PM »
Blues has always had a topical component L.B.. This reference just happens to be one that we recognize because it happened in the 1990s instead of the 1920s and we lived through it and therefore its more jarring, but there are plenty of local, political, historical references all over the old-time Blues, I don't have to tell you...

Offline RobBob

• Blues is truth.
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2011, 06:54:18 AM »
According to Roger House in his book Blue Smoke, Big Bill Broonzy was a civil rights activist.  May be overstated but he pushes that angle.  Blues are truth.  Truth is in the human condition.

Offline Mr.OMuck

• MuckOVision
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2011, 07:02:37 AM »
Once upon a time and in a particular place people knew just who Tom Rushen was for example.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal