collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
You get that right tickin' rhythm, man, and its ON! - Fats Waller

Author Topic: August 16, 1938  (Read 1960 times)

Offline King Neptune

• Howdy!
    • King Neptune
August 16, 1938
« on: August 16, 2015, 10:59:31 AM »
77 years already?

Offline wreid75

Re: August 16, 1938
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 10:46:05 AM »
yes but who is really buried in front of that stone?

Offline tinpanallygurl

• Howdy!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 11:46:26 AM »
only way to find out is to dig at all three sites, multiple formats of cameras, multiple witnesses, and collect dna if more than one corpse is found.  only way to end this nonsense is to dig em up

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 11:54:43 AM »
Exhume three bodies because fans are curious?  That's nuts.  What does it matter anyway?  A DNA sample would only be helpful in identifying the remains if there was already a verified DNA sample from Robert Johnson to test it against.  And when Robert Johnson died, no one knew about DNA, let alone DNA testing.  He's dead.  I think everyone is in agreement on that.   

Offline King Neptune

• Howdy!
    • King Neptune
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 12:26:05 PM »
I don't think anyone is serious about digging anyone up. Has anyone made a case as to which is the real site? I remember reading something about his last days. And mythology aside, we are talking about people who lived and died, and left legal records behind. I think WeenieCampbell would be the perfect place to post scholarly research on these musicians. Help clear up the disinformation one finds on the net.

Offline wreid75

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 08:49:40 AM »
Actually John, we don't need his DNA at all, just a verified relatives DNA.  King Richard III found under a parking lot was tested against his descendents DNA so his family would do and he has a grand kid that is alive.  Exhuming is a quick process and the site would look almost the same after it was done.  I doubt there are three bodies, hell I doubt there is one body.  But if so there is nothing disrespectful about verifying that someone is buried where their headstone is.   

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 08:54:14 AM »
That still does not answer the question as to why exhuming is necessary or appropriate. It is not appropriate.  There is no reason to exhume the body of Robert Johnson or any other deceased blues musician.

Offline jrn

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 10:12:27 AM »
I'd have to agree on that one. We know that he existed, and we've got his recordings. What else do we need?
Quitman, Mississippi

Offline One-Eyed Ross

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 10:34:04 AM »
Some people just won't let things go.  Elvis is still alive, the moon landing was faked....  As Americans, for some reason, we are just so eager to jump on conspiracy band wagons (tightening tin foil hat as he speaks....)
SSG, USA, Ret

She looked like a horse eating an apple through a wire fence.

Offline wreid75

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 12:19:52 PM »
Some people just won't let things go.  Elvis is still alive, the moon landing was faked....  As Americans, for some reason, we are just so eager to jump on conspiracy band wagons (tightening tin foil hat as he speaks....)

Be that as it may, and I believe the digging comment was tongue in cheek..............................there are multiple grave sites!  If Elvis was rumored to be buried in three different places Graceland would have gotten to the bottom of it.  JohnM it isn't necessary to do anything regarding Robert Johnson, hell even the new Willie Brown tombstone looks like it was put in the wrong place.  Devils advocate.........................................the US government looked to see if Lincoln was in his burial place.  Is RJ the same as Lincoln some would say no, others would say yes. 

Is exhuming necessary no, is it appropriate I don't see why not.  He left that body a long long time ago, it was nothing but a shell containing something great that no one appreciated at the time and has been milked to make upper middle class white people money since.  Which is more inappropriate?

Offline harriet

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 01:47:43 PM »
It may give a brief relief to those whom it concerns for whatever reason to have the question of whether he's buried one place or another resolved-but another controversy is bound to spring to keep the mystique alive, seems to me thats the interest - to keep him as spirit. Maybe he's not in any of the graves so that would be the new mystery.

And maybe he is and it would be interesting to see how people factor that in, if it would deflate.

Offline Rivers

• Tech Support
  • I like chicken pie
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 06:03:28 PM »
Jeez imagine a world where Robert Johnson, the cartoon character, never existed, but his music did. That would be fabulous. The guy's non-musical time on the earth, and now under it, generates so much 'discussion', to be polite. It must be another slow news week in country blues. I couldn't really care less where his remains are. Has anyone checked Steve LaVere's car trunk?

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 09:57:15 PM »
The quote generator does it again . . .

While reluctantly checking on the content of this thread, at the top of the page was this one:

"Nonsense is nonsense. But the history of nonsense is scholarship" - Saul Lieberman to an audience at Jewish Theological Seminary

Offline Stuart

• "The Voice of Almiqui"
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 10:34:31 PM »
I remember reading or hearing a few words of wisdom that were attributed to John Fahey and went something like this: "Ninety percent of the music business is bullshit, so go straight for the bullshit and milk it for all that it's worth!"

Offline King Neptune

• Howdy!
    • King Neptune
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 11:04:42 PM »
I don't see how factoring out the human element of country blues improves it. This stuff was created by living people, like we are now. The details of the lives of these men and women help me understand what I'm listening to. The artist's experience is reflected in the music. As for the mythology-music is a transcendental experience. How do you use words to describe that? Hence the legends and metaphor. My problem is when the legend eclipses the reality of hours of practice and songwriting, and storytelling. That's the human element I'm trying to relate to, that connection of one life to another.  Bottom line- if I can understand the trajectory of an artist's life, from beginning to end, including where he/she's buried, the better I can understand the music. You can't do that if you separate the art from the artist.

Tags:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal