collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Chinatown! They got the best ol' food they ever had in Chinatown! - Leadbelly, from Fredric Ramsey Jr's. liner notes to the last sessions records

Author Topic: Tell It To Me ? Quote Drive 2010  (Read 12419 times)

Offline Slack

• Administrator
Re: Tell It To Me ? Quote Drive 2010
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2010, 11:50:34 AM »
A woman's love is like the morning dew.  It's as apt to land on a horse turd as it is a rose.  - Larry McMurtry, Leaving Cheyenne

Offline unezrider

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2010, 09:01:13 AM »
hello friend,

"When the waitress brought our drinks, I picked up my beer and proposed a toast. 'To John Hammond, for bringing Son to Columbia Records.' Son looked at me for a few seconds and then shook his head. He picked up his bourbon and smiled at me for the first time all day. 'To Robert Johnson, for being dead!'" ? Dick Waterman

i had read this before & found it amusing. but this morning while listening to son's l.o.c. recordings it occurred to me for the first time, lomax went looking to record johnson on that trip. instead he ran into son house & discovered muddy waters. so not only do we get some of son's best performances, we get muddy waters. because muddy said it was hearing his voice on his l.o.c. recordings that gave him the confidence to pursue music as a career. it gives son's quote a whole new perspective.
chris
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline unezrider

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2010, 04:14:12 PM »
hello friend,

"I like People Magazine as much as the next guy, but there is a world outside of it." Bob Dylan

(from his Theme Time Radio Hour show a couple of years ago)
"Be good, & you will be lonesome." -Mark Twain

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2010, 02:47:53 PM »

"Sweet Singer of the Swamplands Here to Do a Few Tunes between Homicides"

January 3, 1935 headline in the New York Herald Tribune announcing the arrival of Leadbelly.

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2010, 07:28:48 AM »
I have the freight train blues, boxcars on my mind - Bill Jackson, Freight Train Blues

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 07:41:29 AM »
Sister Fullbosom, you sure guttin' that thing - Jim Clarke, Fat Fanny Stomp

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2010, 12:36:14 PM »
'Nother song was "Lawyer Clark." Yeah. A lawyer in Brownsville, Huey Clark. Best lawyer they said, keep ya out of jail. He'd book John out of jail a lot of times, 'cause John get drunk every holiday and go to jail. They wouldn't make him pay nothin'. Let him out when he get sober. - Yank Rachell, from Blues Mandolin Man, by Richard Congress

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2010, 04:26:35 PM »
I says one and two is three, four and five is seven - Unknown vocalist for the Nashville Washboard Band, Kohoma Blues

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2010, 04:33:08 PM »
Well now you know my mother told me when I was only six weeks old "You'd best find one o' your six weeks old women now then, Mama's goin' set your clothes outdoors." - John Henry Barbee, Six Weeks Old Blues 

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2010, 08:15:05 PM »

Had all that cork on our face . . . made us look even blacker . . . shit, painted our mouths white . . . made ?em look big . . . I had to have a shot of liquor before the show. If I didn?t it seemed like I couldn?t be funny in front of all them people. When I had one it seemed like them people was one and I would throw up the banjo in the air and really put on a show.

Gus Cannon, on performing with Dr. Stokey?s Medicine Show in Clarksdale, Mississippi

Offline uncle bud

• Rank amateur
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2010, 07:38:21 AM »
I'll give you a little tune entitled to You Can't Get Milk from a Cow Named Ben - Fiddlin' John Carson, You Can't Get Milk from a Cow Named Ben

We will play a little tune entitled to If Father Would Wash His Feet, Mother Could Sleep Better - Fiddlin' John Carson, Going to the County Fair

Offline Johnm

• Global Moderator
    • johnmillerguitar.com
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2010, 09:27:52 AM »
"I'm a stranger here, just come in on this train
I'm a stranger here, come in on this train
I want some responsible young man, tell me that woman's name"
J. T. Adams w/Shirley Griffith, "Blind Lemon's Blues"

All best,
Johnm

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2010, 07:20:15 PM »

It was three things that a black person didn?t do. Don?t touch a white woman, a white face cow, and a bale of cotton, and you could get along

Arthur Crudup

Offline Parlor Picker

• Aloha
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2010, 08:57:40 AM »
Just spotted this on the MySpace site of Lee Bates (our own Ginger Geezer) & Billy Newton:

"Sounds like: Imagine Sonny and Brownie if they were white, from North East England and on speaking terms."
"I ain't good looking, teeth don't shine like pearls,
So glad good looks don't take you through this world."
Barbecue Bob

Offline lindy

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2010, 08:39:52 PM »

Leadbelly at this moment is the most famous nigger in the world and I the most notorious white man. Where does this leave you? I have just sold him for cash money to a party on Sunday January 20, at which the Mayor of New York is guest of honor.

John Lomax, in a letter to Ruby Lomax, January 7, 1935

(Don't know how you want to handle the n-word, "n____r" just didn't seem to have the right effect. If it offends anyone, let me know and I'll delete it. I think it says loads about Lomax.)

Lindy

Tags: quotes 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal