collapse

* Member Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. But I'm right here to tell you the berries is just about all gone - Uncle Dave Macon, Uncle Dave's Travels Part 4

Author Topic: Paul Oliver Bibliography  (Read 1055 times)

Offline dj

• Global Moderator
  • Howdy!
Paul Oliver Bibliography
« on: March 10, 2011, 02:13:22 PM »
If you don't have at least one book by Paul Oliver on your shelf, you're not serious about the blues.

Here's a link to a tribute to Paul published 14 years ago on his 70th birthday.  There are brief tributes by a who's-who of blues scholars and a bibliography of Paul's blues writings.  The man was incredibly prolific.  I think that if you were to make a list of the 10 most important and influential books on the blues, Oliver would be the only person with multiple titles listed.  

(On a personal note, even though I'm interested in architecture, every time I look at a Paul Oliver bibliography I'm a bit sad that he spent so much time writing about that subject.  What I wouldn't give for a few more books as good as Blues Fell This Morning, Screening The Blues, and Songsters And Saints!)    

(Edited to correct mistakes, as a fellow weenie has pointed out to me that while spell check is fine with words, it's not very good at numbers!)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 03:32:53 AM by dj »

Offline oddenda

Re: Paul Oliver Bibliography
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 05:11:07 PM »
A man's got to make a living! Vernacular architecture was his main shtick with the blues a side project. Consider that!!

pbl

Offline Bunker Hill

Re: Paul Oliver Bibliography
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 10:46:13 PM »
All of Paul's blues records, tapes, books, magazines, interviews, ephemera etc are now housed here:

http://resources.glos.ac.uk/departments/lis/archives/collections/paul-oliver.cfm

In a 2000 Christmas card there was a message which read "I've been working on another book! The Blues The World Forgot". A card in 2008 said "slowly moving on TBTWF" but not heard anything about it since. I feel certain that Oliver has mentioned this in interview but can't recall where.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 10:53:55 PM by Bunker Hill »

Tags: Paul Oliver Article 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal